Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kokanee Fishing in Klamath Falls OR. 9-26  (Read 846 times)

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
This week I made my way up to Klamath Falls to drop off some boats to The Ledge. While I was there I hooked up with local kayak fishing guru Dean Limb from the Feelfree Kayaks Fishing team. He invited me to come along on a paddle at Rocky Point Recreation Area on Upper Klamath Lake. The water was crystal Clear and there were 10lb Red Band Trout swimming everywhere. Dean Fished for these trout like we should fish for bass here in the Delta. Casting towards shore and popping a spoon during the retrieve. With the mid day sun high in the sky, the Red Band bite was just not happening so he decided to take me for a paddle up one of the spring fed creeks. Much to our surprise there were dozens of Kokanee spawning feet away from the spring. Usually the spawning Kokanee are not really interested in eating. They have other things on their mind, but in just a few short minutes Dean hooked into a 17" female. In the next few cast he hooked up with a 19+" male! It was an incredible fish for sure. The wild part is you would not expect to see this many Kokanee in a lake that is only 8-10' deep. Upper Klamath is more of a marsh than a reservoir, but despite this the Kokanee where there in good numbers. It was a blast, and a place I can't wait to get back to!

Here is a link to the Youtube Video I made for the Headwaters YouTube Channel.

Video:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:29:31 PM by Paddleboy84 »
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Nice work and cool video.

How do kokanee even survive in 8-10 fow? The kokanee population in Berryessa dwindled to nearly nothing during the drought. The water was still about 100ft deep in parts and what I read was that the lower  water levels led to lower oxygen in the water and the kokanee suffered for it. That and less cold water for them. Would there be an underwater spring that supplies the oxygen and cold water? This is interestong

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

How do kokanee even survive in 8-10 fow? The kokanee population in Berryessa dwindled to nearly nothing during the drought. The water was still about 100ft deep in parts and what I read was that the lower  water levels led to lower oxygen in the water and the kokanee suffered for it. That and less cold water for them. Would there be an underwater spring that supplies the oxygen and cold water? This is interestong

Dean and I were both totally surprised to see them as well. He didn't know there were Kokanee in there ether. We went out targeting Red Band Trout, and the Kok's were a surprise. The next day Dean took out his buddy from Oregon Fish and Wildlife, who was also surprised to see them. To answer your question, where we found them as directly next to a spring. You could see the gravel bubbling where the spring was flowing into the lake. The temps were ice cold. Pretty wild for sure.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Good stuff. I need to go fishing soon or I any gonna have a breakdown.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

Dean and I were both totally surprised to see them as well. He didn't know there were Kokanee in there ether. We went out targeting Red Band Trout, and the Kok's were a surprise. The next day Dean took out his buddy from Oregon Fish and Wildlife, who was also surprised to see them. To answer your question, where we found them as directly next to a spring. You could see the gravel bubbling where the spring was flowing into the lake. The temps were ice cold. Pretty wild for sure.

That's so cool. I love Mother Nature. Beautiful color on that koke.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Was there an inlet nearby? Perhaps the Kokanee were shoal spawning. Kokanee have been observed spawning on shoals in some lakes.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

anything