Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Monterey SLOW!!!  (Read 2943 times)

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
My girlfreind, son and I met up with the usuall suspects in Monterey yesterday to find some awsome conditions. I took my time to launch and probably didnt get on the water till about 9:30.. Alshobie, Stoogie ,Pacifico and Ebeyjebet....( Phil )... Launched ahead of us. Fishing was slow... Tied on A sabiki for some dabs couldnt even find them! I went to the spot were I uasually slay them to no avail... I did manage A rockcod that was realesed immediatly. Started howling in around noonish so we decided to go and grub down. Wow the food was good. Sincoast stopped in with some fresh fillets from A shore catch that he donated to the disc! :smt007...They were great..All in all it was A gorgeouse day in Monterey, cant wait to do it again....Andy and crew... Sorry no pics I need A new camera. :smt009
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Well you got out on the water and then had a good gathering and grub, so you're good to go.  Sometimes going out and having a slow day fishing will help to ease the pain of thinking about fishing while working or otherwise not able to get out...   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Awesome hookup and great food, that's all you need Andy. The fish would have
just been a treat. :smt001

Good luck on finding a new camera.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

stoggie

• Salmon
  • Team Mooch Patrol
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
Great Friends, Great Food and Great Weather!

Met up at 8:30 with da crew, paddled out to the red buoy and sat there all day.
NADA!

In hind sight we should have gone nearer to Lovers Point to see if there was any squid, report has it that the squid trawlers were hitting them hard every night for a week and the night before our trip they stopped. Maybe they cleaned them out.

Heard some reports of butt action out from the hotels, not sure which ones, I think it was the ones out from Sand City. We fished in about 150 ft of water with typical butt rigs and I tried some bars and other jigs too, but nothing.

I think we were too deep, next time I'm going to try the 50 to 60 ft depths.

One diver told us he saw a couple butts in 30 ft of water out from the beach where we were. One was the size of a small table top, maybe the water magnified everything, but he said it was a hog.

Either way, it is early, but we had a great time on the water and a better time at the BBQ.
Thanks everyone for a great day. I came home with a little sunburn on the arm and Andy was complaining about the sun cooking his brain.

Can't wait till rockfish opener.

Stoggie

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Hey it was good to see you guys. Too bad the fish weren't there.

I'll add some pics to spice it up haha.

Here's some drumsticks that Andy and Kris prepared...battered with almond roasted granola bar crumbs.

And here they are in the fryer.

Sorry I couldn't stick around for the grub...but I hope those rock + kelp greenling fillets came out ok. And I forgot to mention that there was a guy in a blue kayak fishing the kelp off Carmel where I caught those shore rockies. Not sure what he was targetting.

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Big Matt

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Your makin' me hungry with the fried chicken and Sierra...  :smt003
Cobra Marauder     NCKA Storm Trooper for a day (without sleeves)

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Good try guys. Keep your eyes open for the next big squid run. I keep tabs on the squid boats to see what's goin on. I will come down the and join you. We will hunt down them elusive wsb's.

ANdy grub looks awesome brother.
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
...nothing is "slow" when you have good grub after a day of fishing :smt002

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
...nothing is "slow" when you have good grub after a day of fishing :smt002
  This is SOooooo True!  Like any good NCKA hookup, we had way too much food!  I'll try and throw up some pics when I get home I guess, but the table fare included; hotlinks, polish dogs, bellpeppers&onions, steaks, pork, fried chicken, fried greenling, chips, cookies, and most important, beer!  :smt005

It was fun to get out, but like Stoggie said, we should have probably moved to a new location in search of some better fish.  It was my first time with the T13 on the big blue!  Getting to learn this new ride!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
i wish you guys lived closer to me :smt005 WTRepresent!! 
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I know I got to get down there. It sounds like you guys had a great time no matter what.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
It was really good to see my fellow coconspirators and get out on the water again. After the normal banter and bashing of a welcome, we hit the water. It was beautiful! (Even with the company I keep) I tried to beat everyone to the punch by trolling a frozen squid while they were looking for live squid. I let that cold morsel down about 70-80 feet and head to join the guys who were already trying to hook some live bait. Just as I caught up with them I felt a pull and see my tip dance. (don't ask what kind of dance it was.......all I know is it wasn't an American Indian) lol. With all the excitement of a 10 year old fishing for the first time I set the hook! My excitement grew as I felt the heavy weight on my line as I reeled it in. My hopes were drowned when a seal came up about 10 feet from my yak. It took one look at me and took off. My reel started singing as line flew out and me and my yak along with it. My first thought was maybe I can get my hook free if he's not hooked real well. I cranked the drag down and went for a fast ride. I looked next to me and there were two more seals looking at me and then bouncing off to help their bud.  The second swell I went over sideways it hit me……this was real fun…..but it’s headed towards real stupid real fast. I tried to save some line and reel him in a little. That just added to his panic and me and the line just moved faster. I pulled my knife out and cut the line. When I turned around to find the rest of the outlaws, I found I had been pulled over several hundred yards very quickly. It took a little while to join up with the band again. As soon as I went to fishing as they were. I then promptly caught as snag lol.  After a long struggle to free my line, I saw everyone else had started to head towards shore. I added to my losses and cut my line again. On the way back in I realized all in all it was fun and technically I didn’t get skunked lol. I think we need to add two more categories to the AOTY contest. That way I could at least be on the board lol. The guys were waiting for me as I came in still laughing. They quickly taught me the valuable lesson of taking the radio off the weather channel so you can hear everyone lol.  The laughs continued all afternoon. The food was outstanding!!!  These guys may end up putting a pound or two on my lean carcass before this season is done. The fishing was not as we had hoped for but the company and fun was top notch. I’m already looking forward to the next one. I’ll add a few pics when I get windows to let me open the program lol
Thanks for all the fun and laughs guys;

Phil
2010 MBK Tournament Winner and new T-13 owner

anything