Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Prowler 15- 6 inch hatch cover (temporary) replacement  (Read 3531 times)

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
 So I didn't screw down the hatch completely when I had taken the transducer out and was packing up, and even though it was (I think) attached with a thin rope leading to and tied near the main hatch to trolley the transducer back, it blew off (or someone where I stopped for lunch knew exactly what they wanted and stole it) somewhere between Monterey and Santa Cruz.
   So I ordered a replacement from Johnson Products (O.K. Kayak Mfg) through Kayak Connection, but it had been a week (and now almost 2) and it hadn't come in, and as you know, the WSB were biting and you can't go cold turkey on fishing or you go into withdrawals, therefore:
   I went to the Dollar Store and looked at Frisbees (too thin) and Melmac plates (too brittle), cut out circles from a square plastic bucket (to flexible, even doubled) but wound up making a replacement hatch out of plywood with the chest section of an old wetsuit as a gasket.  Put a 4" 3/8 bolt through it and made a crossbar out of a scrap piece of oak, used a nut with prongs on it (needed to drill holes for the prongs or they'd split the oak) on the crossbar.   Used a wing nut on top, and then used a piece of foam (could have been a tennis ball) held on by Velcro to keep from sitting on the stub of the bolt.  I just made a sandwich of a 6" circle, an 8" circle of neoprene, and the 8" top piece. 
    I think it works better than the original, so I don't know if I'll quit using it when the $43. (!!!!)replacement hatch cover finally arrives (if it's even the right size). 
    So now I have a Woody P15.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hey Tom,

Here's a post I made a while back regarding the center hatch on the P-15. I'm assuming then that you never had leaking problems?

One thing I'd like to point out is that a center hatch on a P-15 is a no-no if your a heavy guy like myself. At 230 pounds plus all my gear on board, the waterline will reach the center hatch and water will seep in - unless you really do a good job gooping around the hatch before install.

And as far hatches are concerned, you are better off staying away from the screw in hatch. When sand get's in the grooves, you'll find it almost impossible to open that hatch. Go with the toggle hatch instead. Happy pimping!

http://store.oceankayak.com/products/311055/6

Joel "Loyal to the Prowler 15" 

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I hadn't gotten much leakage, but I'm 30 lbs lighter, but the sand in the threads was an issue before I started brushing it out after it dried and before I loaded up for the next trip.  If I had a choice, I wouldn't use a threaded hatch.

barefoot1

• Sea Lion
  • The world needs more fruitcakes.--J. Buffet
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I think Austin Kayak makes a twist and lock 6".  Dont know that it will work with the screw in hatch bracket.  I hate the screw in hatch that I HAD to put in before installing the rudder kit on my P-15.  It is a leaky byatch!  I may just seal it up with goop!----Jeff
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain