Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New here.  (Read 2116 times)

idafish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Hey everybody. I am new here and this is my first post. Just a little info. I grew up in Alameda and fished every spot that you guys write about on here. I was one of the pioneers back in the '70's fishing ARW before you could go out there. We had to fish at night and risk being shot by the MP's. When I was 12, my buddy and I were fishing for flounder off of OAP in a $12.00 Walgreens inflatable boat. He hooked a sturgeon that towed us around for a couple of hours. We landed it and it was just shy of 7' long. Never weighed it. That was in the days when any sturgeon over 40" was legal. I landed many hundreds of stripers, leopard sharks, bat rays and numerous other indigenous SFB fish including a few halibut. I live in Idaho now and miss my days growing up catching big fish within walking or bicycle distance of home. There is excellent fishing here so I have nothing to feel bad about. I am in the market for a SOT kayak now and this site has been an inspirational tool. We have a Dicks Sporting Goods here and they will be getting in a shipment of kayaks within the next couple of weeks. I will probably be hitting you guys up for advice when the time comes. I will also plan on making a few trips out to the Bay Area and hit the old spots.
Thanks for a great site, Joe.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Welcome to "the madness" Joe.
Its contagiously fun.

We've got some folks out in Idaho, hopefully they will chime in.

We look forward to hearing more about your new yak!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
welcome idafish!  :smt001

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Joe.  Try PM Fishing Jay.  He just moved to Idaho last year from the Bay area.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Make sure to post a hookup when you make it down here to fish. Welcome aboard Joe. Looking forward
to your future fishing reports and pictures from Idaho.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Hi there Idafish :smt006

I'm located up in Coeur d'Alene, so quite a drive from you, but i do get down to  the Clearwater for steelhead occasionally. Welcome to the madness!
If you're ever up in the Panhandle I would be happy to take you out for some kayak fishing. I have both a OK Prowler 15 and a WS tarpon 140 that you could try out.

-Jay
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
YOu could also check out our sister site NWKA! Welcome to the site. I visit Idaho once A year, love the state I usually fish  up by Weiser! :smt006
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

idafish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I'm located up in Coeur d'Alene, so quite a drive from you, but i do get down to  the Clearwater for steelhead occasionally. Welcome to the madness!
If you're ever up in the Panhandle I would be happy to take you out for some kayak fishing. I have both a OK Prowler 15 and a WS tarpon 140 that you could try out.

-Jay
Thanks for the welcomes. Fishin Jay, how do you like your Tarpon 140? I am actually going to look at one tomorrow. Here is a link to one that Dicks has that I am thinking about. The Tarpon 140 is not set up for fishing yet but the Perception is. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3902129
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:58:59 PM by idafish »

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Welcome to the board...fish on! :smt006
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

redwoodfox

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006

-Jay
Thanks for the welcomes. Fishin Jay, how do you like your Tarpon 140? I am actually going to look at one tomorrow. Here is a link to one that Dicks has that I am thinking about. The Tarpon 140 is not set up for fishing yet but the Perception is. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3902129

I've paddled the Perception too, and hands down I would take the Tarpon, even if it isn't pre-rigged for fishing. Search through the kayak rigging section of the forum and you'll learn everything you need to know. And, if you're not real confident in your kayak modification skills I'm sure many of us could walk you through it. Or, if you're feeling like a drive, come on up to CdA and I'll help you out.  :smt006
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

idafish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks Fishin-Jay. I got a great deal on an Emotion Mojo Angler yesterday ($350.00). I am still wheeling and dealing on the Tarpon 140. I will definately hit you up for that advice when the time comes. I am looking forward to exploring the local lakes such as CJ Strike and Lucky Peak/Arrowrock. I might even venture up to Cascade this summer as well as Little Payette where I heard a rumor of tiger muskies. Maybe we could plan on meeting up for some fishing. I did sign up on NWKA so I will start posting on there. I am going to try to plan a Bay Area trip sometime in June or July. This is going to be terribly addicting.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Welcome To The Madness.........you were a privledged boy back then, thanks for the recount. Reads like you already scored a yak,,,,,,next is a FISH!! 
&pleaseDONTforgetYOURcameraWHENyouGOout. :smt002
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

anything