Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:20:14 AM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK Derby Sunday August 5  (Read 13482 times)

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
wow Pat that is awesome! Those are huge slabs! Congratulations!

I could see that you all would probably have epic FAC water to fish.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Congrats Pat, Daniel and Matt. Great catches, sorry I missed it. Good to see the locals represent.
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

CappyMoMo.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Pat, I might be in Monterey tonight.  Maybe I'll swing by for a couple fillets.  I'll call you if I make it over there.  Congrats again!   I'm so happy it was a Sin Coast, Dpshim 1 2 punch!

Eric Morgan
Trident Ultra 4.7
Not the guy selling the Outback
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.plantfertility.com
Trident Ultra 4.7
Morgan Consulting LLC Agronomy Pro Staff
Hating the Seahawks and the Raiders cause they suck.

DC

• Salmon
  • View Profile DCkayakfishing
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Wow, big butts for sure.  Amazing!  Way to win it right.  Glad to see you got a taste too Daniel!  :smt001
Dan
Kaskazi-Dorado II

bloodbath

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
The MBK Derby 2012 was a success! Allen and Monterey Bay Kayaks made in happen. The bite was hot and the water was flat. I showed up to show support by helping with whatever I could, cooked about 60 hot dogs.

Please send your best pics to Brittany: info@montereybaykayaks.com

She asked me to pass this on :smt003

Enjoy pics.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:26:11 AM by bloodbath »
2011 Albion Open 1st place
2014 Lowrance Rockfish Classic 1st place
Kayaks are cool!

bloodbath

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Allen is the man!

More pics!
2011 Albion Open 1st place
2014 Lowrance Rockfish Classic 1st place
Kayaks are cool!

Frankfishing

Wow, Pat what can I say! Major predator in those waters. Allen you are my Bud and job well done in coordination with MBK you guys knocked it out of the box again. Was so burnt out with the H.O.W. event their was no way I was going to make it. Ahh youth! Congrats everyone on supporting another great event. Frankfishing :smt001 

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Nice job Allen, sorry I could not make it.
OMG Pat! Are you serious, monsters of the deep.
Daniel, and everyone else-congrats.

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Pat, I hear there are no Halibut to be caught at Albion. Guess you'll just have to bring some.  :smt003
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
Another awesome event thrown by MBK and our own Allen, thank y'all for your support!! :D

Several nights ago while fishing under the full moon at Lake San Antonio, Pat and I were discussing game plan for Sunday's derby. I got word from my commercial friends that the halis were being caught in 65'-50' at Tioga using squid.

With only 5 hrs to fish and be on land with our stringer, we decided that it was best that we paddle straight out towards Tioga (a good 45min-1hr paddle) rather than slow troll there wasting valuable time. Game plan worked like a charm!! :D

When it was game time, I paddled my ass out toward Tioga wasting no time. I had Nathan and Eugene paddling along with me as well as Scott couple hundred yards of me peddling toward the same direction. As I kept paddling, others had stopped.

Once I got out to my destination, I started rigging my bounce ball troll setup: 3 way swivel w/ 20" line to 1lb weight ball, tied to 4/0 brass/silver dodger & 3' leader with squid. 

As I was ready to troll, Pat, Alex and Splashdown arrived. Within couple hundred yards into my troll, I had a big surprising takedown which caught me off guard and assumed it might have temporarily snagged to something on the bottom. I slowed my troll, but nothing.

I continued my troll northward when all of a sudden I hear hooting and hollering by none other than my fishing partner! :D At that moment I turn back and reel in my setup. As I brought it to the surface I noticed that my herring bait was missing 2/3 of its body. Right then I knew I had a takedown earlier. I was also certain because my takedown was in the general area that Pat hooked up :)

After helping my partner take some sweet photo shots, partake in the hali beatdown, and assuming that we strapped that bad boy securely; I tied on a squid and started my troll.

50 paddles in, I got another takedown which I was able to set. I immediately knew I has a hali with its unmistakeable dead weight and its headshakes. I also knew that this was nothing close to what my partner had just caught lol!! :P

As I slowly brought the hali up toward the surface, I was contemplating on how I was going to land this since I no longer use gaffs for fish. I now use my hands or lip gripper to land my fish, with the exception of salmon (net, which I also had on me).

I decided that the net would be the easiest way to land it... WRONG!!! As it came toward the surface I attempted to swoop it in with the net. The Hali went ballistic once it got in, splashing and flopping around until it got out!

After I found out that was the wrong decision lol, I decided to land it with my hands which was an easier move and that I shoulda done in the first place lol. After escaping from the net, I allowed the hali opportunity to calm itself under the surface. As I slowly pulled it toward me with its head under the water, I slipped my hand under its gill and brought him on board. I quickly grabbed my game clip with the other hand and securely slipped the clip in and threw him back in the water :)

I was stoked that not only Pat landed a hali, but I also got one myself! :D Pat comes over to congratulate me and to check out my hali. Initially, I thought mine was possibly a "puny" 25"er after seeing Pat's monster lol. After putting him on the hog trough, we noticed it was at least 30". Boy, your measurements get all messed up when a FAT doormat is present lol!!

Although we had about another hr and half left, both Pat and I were satisfied with our catch and decided to slow troll back in. It couldn't be much longer than 5 min when Pat hooks up with another beast!!! Once we got that on board, we called it quits this time lol!!

It was fantastic to witness Pat catch those beasts, as well as winning this event. I'm so STOKED for ya brother!!

Everyone did a fantastic job, as we saw several halis, nice lings and assorted rockfish! :D It was great seeing and fishing with everyone. I wish I could have stayed longed, bit I had to be at work at 3pm.

Again, it was a blast; and I was glad to represent the A-hulls. 1-2 punch!! :D

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Awesome!!!
Congrats, Pat & Daniel!!!
Those are some huge fish!!!

Naoaki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Way to stick to the game plan Dan!
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Awesome job Pat & Daniel!  Way to stick to the plan and get it done! Congrats on both of you for getting some nice slabs on the clip.
later
Jimbo
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Wow, wat an unbelieavable day yesterday! I thought I had a chance at placing with one of my lings, WRONG! PAT SHITTED ON THE COMPETITON WITH NOT ONE BUT TWO FAT FATTYS! A very impressive double, wtg bro. He and daniel came and conquered and showed us How its done, well done bros and very nice fish. This was my first MBK event and I had a blast. Was good kickin it everyone and hanging afterwards, Andys DF Lingcod was delicious and Allen put on a great event, thanks again Allen. Heres a few more pics....
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Pats Victory Pic..that is knarly!
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

anything