Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Simple Safety Tip for Mendocino Bay, Russian Gulch and Van Damme  (Read 3071 times)

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
 :smt006 This isn't a "This Happened to Me" report, just a simple safety tip for places like Russian Gulch, Mendocino Bay and Van Damme.  Some of us know to do this here already; but bring your radio AND your cell phone (in dry bags of course).

In an emergency, you might get a quicker response by simply dialing 911 and having The Mendocino Volunteer Fire Department and other local heroes respond.   They are a well trained group (35 members, last I counted) of great folks with LOTS of real rescue experience.   

I think we have two rescue jet skis and a Zodiac, and a quick response time, whereas the Coast Guard is 8 miles North at Noyo.   Of course probably contact the Coast Guard (helicopter) also, but a simple 911 call might take care of all that too.  (Not sure about that).

We don't have cell phone reception everywhere here, so it's a good idea to test our phones on shore before launch.   Just my thoughts, and don't take my word for it, but that's how my yaking partners do it here.

One of the many things about Mendocino that I love is we still use our huge WWII siren in the center of town (plus radios, phones and scanners) to call the volunteers in any emergency (and a few false alarms  :smt002) and you can hear it for miles.   It sometimes scares and bothers visitors  :smt002  but works like a charm.  When you hear that big siren go off it's pretty obvious that your call went through and help is on the way.  :smt001

Yak Safe,  -Matt  (Mendocino local)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:01:07 PM by HobieSport »

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Matt- I lead sea-kayak tours there all summer, It's nice to know the town is wired for rescue. It's my feeling that if I ever need to call on their services or the coast guards then I screwed up long ago. So much has to happen before you relinquish your survival to an agency. They're good at it and train hard but so should any kayaker who takes to the the sea on a regular basis. The more we as a community are capable of self-rescue the better off. Veni Vidi Vici
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
 :smt006 Swellrider,

You make a very very good point, that naturally goes for all yakers, anywhere.

I also hate to see it when our local rescuers have to risk their lives (these are my neighbors, with families) to rescue people who took thoughtless risks.   We lost a Fire Dept. Jetski a few years back during a kayak rescue on a ridiculously rough day and one of the local rescuers had to be rescued.  Bits of the Jetski were later identified about 100 miles out of SF Bay the next week.   None of this should have ever happened; the yaks should simply have never been out that day in the first place.

But still we loose a few lives to the sea here every year, maybe because we get so many visitors here who may only see the very changeable ocean here, crashing violently into the rocks, as "picturesque" or "quaint" or whatever.   It's always really sad, no matter how simple and stupid may be the mistakes made.

That's one of the many reasons I love this forum, where relative yaking newbies like me can take it slow and careful and really learn about yaking/boating safety, and we can share our info and experiences.   To me and my yaking partners wise caution and patient restraint are all part of the fun.

Were do you like to lead your tours in the Mendocino area?   How many folks go?   You must like your work to say the least.  My brother-in-law taught whitewater yaking back East, but my sister made him quit when their daughter was born.  :smt002   

Yak Safe, -Matt
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 06:07:19 PM by HobieSport »

anything