Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: species specific subforums?  (Read 2044 times)

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Bill,

it might be cool to have forums for each of our main targetted species:

halibut

salmon

rockfish and lingcod

striper

trout

bass

sturgeon

mud marlin

perch? (I learned about the mighty MORFin ranger, uh, I mean grub) here.

bait (man, I could use a forum on this...).

it just seems like somebody really focused on salmon is speaking dutch to the guy who really is focused on halibut and speaking flemish (or whatever).  maybe a sub-forum that can really allow people to talk details regarding these targetted species would work well to advance the knowledge base?

In particular, targetting salmon seems like a real mission other than the week or two they might be available to even the average duffer like myself. Without that article by stuart, I'd be clueless, but now I feel like
a salmon next summer is a real possibility.

just an idea. I have a lot of ideas, most are bunk, but some have been bank, never know which one will be.

later,

-john
john m. airey

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Thanks John I think I would rather have articles on those species and not full blown forums. I think we are getting close to forum overkill.  :smt003

b3d

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
"mud marlin"
Isn't that the same thing as a brown trout?

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
"mud marlin" is a bat ray. They put up a great battle from what I hear. I have not hooked one yet.

b3d

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I just had to break that unlucky number 13 th post.

I hear Bat Rays are very common in Tomales bay.  Unfortunately I grew up near Tomales, but at the time was not fishing from a kayak.  I wouldn't want to eat a bat ray but now they sound like a fun ride for c&r.

Brian 3Dog

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
There are a lot of forums it is true, perhaps another mechanism would work better for what I am wanting.

take salmon fishing.

stuart likes a sinker on a release, but mooch uses an inline banana weight. I only know that because I have been reading the forums and the articles and trying to catch up a little bit in the knowledge dept. Not everybody is going to be that obsessed, but they still want the knowledge.

mooch will not write a competing salmon article, but it would be nice to see his comments on stuarts article. an interactive article is what I want, where people can annotate the post and reply to it.

Note that making each article a post that can be replied to and commented on would perhaps work pretty well. In that case you have one forum per article essentially. But it's a non-time-dependent kind of forum,
it's not like hookups or fish reports or tournaments. It is time-independent knowledge. You could edit the forum to remove non-time-independent posts.

As it stands, an article is just a forum with one post, more or less.

As time goes by, there will be more crap to comb through to find the nuggets of wisdom as it were, in the smaller numbers of more general forums.

bill, just so you know, I am a fan, you rule, fish and keyboards tremble when they hear your name,  :smt003
john m. airey

Mobywhite

as a newbie I think this idea is brilliant :)

It would help me a ton.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
I think I see where your heading now, let me see what I can do. I have been thinking about putting up a wiki which would be exactly what you want I think. I did not know if we could handle a wiki or not  :smt003

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
Anglernet.net does this as well as Fishsniffer w/ species and it sucks - IMHO. For me the, part of the adventure of Ocean Fishing is that you don't know what you may encounter, even if you're targeting a particular species.
Also on a given trip you may catch a variety of species, each one as important as another, so where do you post?
We go species specific, next thing you know we go manufacturer specific, OC, Wilderness, Hobie etc.

You'll then start seeing some forums become more active and then other people start thinking, oh, all these guys target striper or saltwater or freswater and they go elsewhere.

Keep it open and not so specific please. I believe it makes for better reading and makes the site more open for other to post.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Quote from: b3d
I just had to break that unlucky number 13 th post.

I hear Bat Rays are very common in Tomales bay.  Unfortunately I grew up near Tomales, but at the time was not fishing from a kayak.  I wouldn't want to eat a bat ray but now they sound like a fun ride for c&r.

Brian 3Dog

They are the strongest thing that swims that I ever caught....If you take your yak out in Tomales and go to Hogs Isle from Nicks Cove you can see them schooling in the shallows on the east side of the island. Pretty site to see.
Matt

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
I think John was making the cardinal sin of talking implementation before properly defining the problem.  :smt003

What John really wants (I think)

- Central repository for kayak fishing info
- Easily updated/annotated by others with more/different information

The articles we have now are great but a bit to static in that other people have different thoughts or ideas on the subject. Capturing that information would be great. Having a HOWTO on mounting your fishfinder is great but there are probably hundreds of ways to do it, one of which makes sense for you. It should be easy for you to find ALL this information.

Does anyone else think that would be useful?

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Basically I'm looking for a way to accelerate my knowledge on catching fish, and particular fish at that.  

Forums full of guys e-back-slapping and e-yukking it up, while a lot of fun, don't help me or anyone else do that.

It's clear that the articles are really important for this, but there could be more of them. They are hard to write. People are much more likely to contribute a bit at a time. This is how it would work with a forum.
There has been some of this with the striper lures from mooch and me asking scwafish what he used to catch his first salmon, etc. But that info is kind of buried now, at least for other people.

The species-specific forums would be for people to talk about how they have been targetting a species. It could probably be wrapped up and made into an article after a few months.

If you went fishing, just post it in the fishing report section. I'm not saying that you have to post the catching of each thing in a different forum, that would be beyond silly.

Bill, maybe you can open them up when the fishing season is over as a way to build up raw material for an article on targetting each species.

It is clear tha the kayak-rigging forum is in this kind of category. It could just as easily be an article and maybe it should be, but I'm glad it's a forum. Basically, it seems like any article could be its own forum,  which would allow people to contribute comments and their own take on things.
Just like any forum, there would be a lot of dross in there with the gold,
but that could be weeded out later.

I sense I'm swimming upstream a bit here, so I'll let it go.
john m. airey

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
Looks like we crossed post there, please don't let it go. I think you are onto something we just need to figure out the right way to do it.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
how about a "search" added to the forum.....sort of a "google" within the NCKA forum?

...if a newbie wanted to know some of the lures used for trolling for salmon......they do a search on the topic and all posts regarding this topic / subject will be listed.

I'm not a computer guru...but would this be possible?

just my 2 cents....

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
Check out the menu items above  for search :smt002

anything