Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Intro - New at kayak fishing, From San Mateo  (Read 1168 times)

Prestonlam1234

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Hi all,

Just graduated from college and am living/soon-to-be-working in San Mateo for now. Took up Kayak fishing because I need an awesome weekend hobby and it seems like the best way to reach the big fish without buying a $20,000 boat!

I still need a ton of help with regards to what to even do!

Last Friday, I took my family's old Pelican Viper out to Coyote Point, hoping to paddle out and throw a swimbait around for some stripers. Didn't even get past the harbor - it was so windy!

And then yesterday, went to Calero to fish for some bass, definitely an easier kayaking experience because there's less current but still struggled with aligning and parking myself to spots I wanted to fish.

Any advice would be awesome - in particular I'm looking for a Kayak that can handle the bay - and if anyone wants to take me around and show me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it!

Best,
Preston

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA Preston  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Greetings, PL.

If you can afford it, a Hobie will get you where you need to go and keep you there, all hands-free.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome, Preston.  :smt006

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Hello and welcome Preston  :smt006

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

Adsixnine

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
Welcome.
Nice to meet U.  :smt006

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The area around the Redwood City Port is not to bad to paddle around. Fishing can be so-so, I have seen halibut and stripers taken  in that area, but I would not advise eating anything from those waters.  Also if you like fresh water, there are some east bay spots that would be an easier paddle for a new guy: Quarry Lake, Chabot, Dal Valle come to mind. Other will chime in.

For just a good calm place with little wave/chop to get some paddling experience the Foster City Lagoon is not a bad place. There is an Aquatic Park on the San Mateo Side off of Roberta Street two After the "Fish Market" restaurant heading towards downtown SM, on Delaware. Has a nice Sandy Beach to launch off of. Again people have caught fish in there, just not me. Keep in mind on the weekends jet skis and power boaters can be really stupid in there.

Aquan Kayak, and later California Canoe and Kayak used to have Wednesday night paddles in the Foster City Lagoon, not sure since CCK move to Redwood City if they are still doing that or not.  Practice Safety, dress to go in, always wear a PFD (Damn I sounding like my mother). Don't be a statistic.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

StuManChu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
Welcome aboard. I started a few years ago with an Ascend FST12 from Bass Pro and it served me well in lakes and the ocean and for duck hunting in the winter. Recently upgraded to a Hobie Compass and switching to foot power has been a real game changer for me.

It's been years since I have lived in the Bay Area, but Pete's Harbor off of Whipple in Redwood City would be a great spot to start tinkering around in the salt water.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is to assume you will end up in the water and be practiced and prepared for it. Also, know the fishing/boating laws. Those fines can get pretty steep for basic infractions.

Stu

Flyaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Welcome to the madness, Preston.  Stu and Kevin offer good advice.   Dress for emmerson and practice self rescue.  Getting back on to your flipped boat.   Always wear off.

I love my old ocean kayak prowler, but hardly ever use it since I switched to hobie revo with foot pedals.    Most people find it hard to go back once in a hobie.   I suggest buying the right boat first time. It will save you in the long run.   

I was lucky enough to be shown around Big Blue by our older brother Scott Gee (GB2) when I got started.   It's highly recommended to go with more experienced people when you start in the ocean.   A lot can happen.

I am also in the San Mateo area and will be happy to take you out to get started.

yatzmail@yahoo.com

I love my old ocean kayak prowler, but hardly ever use it since I switched to hobie revo with foot pedals.    Most people find it hard to go back once in a hobie.   I suggest buying the right boat first time. It will save you in the long run.   

^^^This

My path was a hurricane, advanced elements inflatables, lots of ocean kayaks, then stopped at HOBIES - never ever second guess it since!

Flyaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I love love love my ok and will never get rid of it.   the hobie is just easier to fish from, faster and capable of longer distances, but I have no attachment to it.   I also keep an old tarpon around, just to balance out the fleet. 

Big nick

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Welcome, I'd second the lake Chabot recommendation in the East Bay.  Easy spot to get on a couple of fish in a controlled environment. 

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Welcome Preston.  I’ve tried to save money by getting various paddle yaks but should have listened and gotten a hobie peddle one from the start. I’m finally going to get a hobie in a month or so. It would have been cheaper if I had just bought a hobie from the start. Good luck on the shopping.

ragnar

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018