Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Narrow kayak with a lawn chair style seat?  (Read 5240 times)

Hydrospider

After 13 years of service, I have decided to retire my Tarpon 140 for a fishing kayak with a lawn chair style seat that can elevate into a high position. I have enjoyed this type of chair on my Jackson Coosa and want that type of comfort and elevated vantage in a more traditional hull.
 All of the boats that have seen with these chairs are too wide for my interest. The closest to what I want is the Jackson Kraken 13.5 at 30.5" wide.

Is there a boat narrower than 30" with a high position lawn chair out there?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:48:17 AM by Hydrospider »

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Im guessing you’re looking for a paddle kayak, but a revo 13 is 28.5 with the seat you describe.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Hydrospider

Thanks ThreemoneyJ! That's an interesting suggestion that I didn't think about.
I have never really considered a Hobie a kayak or using one to be kayaking in any way.
I do think it's a very nice fishing platform for those who might be disabled, obese, or non athletic.
I went to the Hobie site and the seat does look very comfortable but it didn't look like it elevated very high. The next time that I am in "civilization" I will plan on checking one out and testing the seat.
If I went this direction, I would likely buy a used one and try to convert it.
It might be easy to weld the mirage drive opening closed and smooth and strip out the rudder system.
Before I charge into this kind of project, I need to make sure that there isn't a boat out there being produced that fits my interest.
Thanks again TmJ.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:58:27 PM by Hydrospider »

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I have never really considered a Hobie a kayak or using one to be kayaking in any way.
I do think it's a very nice fishing platform for those who might be disabled, obese, or non athletic.
Hah!  If you say things like that, the Hobie owners will beat you up, as much as they can with their frail atrophied arms.

I have many years of whitewater kayaking experience.  When I started kayak fishing, I bought a paddle kayak, specifically a 13' Ocean Kayak Trident.  At that time and in my area, few people owned Mirage Drive kayaks.  When I occasionally saw a Mirage Drive kayak, I thought it was a gimmick designed for feeble old people with no kayaking skills.

Then a friend bought an Outback.  I was impressed by the way he buzzed around in it like a jet ski.  I tried it for a day, and was instantly sold on the advantages of pedal kayaks for fishing.  Within a couple of days, I ordered a Revolution.  Now I do almost all of my fishing from the Revolution, and my Trident languishes in my garage.  I only use it when fishing in shallow rocky rivers, and when spearfishing.

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
install the mirage drive plug and don't deploy the rudder and you'll have what you want with the Revo 13 - I actually think it paddles quite nice. Much better than the paddle only Native Manta Ray that I had before.

Cheers,
Brad

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Yeah if you are really into fishing from a kayak, the Hobie is a supreme platform. I like fishing, a lot! From shore, boat, or kayak in rivers, lakes, bays, ocean, etc. And the specs on a Revo 16 are a perfect match for your search (16ft long and 27.5” wide), but it does not perform well as a paddle-only kayak. I have one. It’s been my main kayak for a few years now. Of the 24 kayaks I’ve owned in the last 15yrs, it is the best for fishing...regardless of paddle or pedal.

One interesting kayak that you may look into (not necessarily for offshore) is the Crescent Ultralight. It’s only 10ft long but 30” wide, has a comfy framed chair and weighs 46lbs. And made in the US. A few of my family have recently bought them from Headwaters in Lodi and I gotta say they are pretty nice, and quite versatile. Sounds like it’d probably be redundant if you already have a Coosa but it “feels” like it paddles better than my older Coosa. (Have only paddled the Creacent briefly on a flat calm pond)
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
If you dig into the hobie site they have a quest 13 which looks like a revo 13, but is paddle only. I don’t know anything about them though.

On my revo I feel like the high position is pretty high and gives me a good position for casting. If you’re ever in the Sonoma county area you can paddle my revo at lake Sonoma with the plug in and no mirage drive.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Narrow and long kayaks are best for  efficient and fast paddling but the higher you want to sit , lawn chair type seat, for the sake of fishing, the more unstable they will be. Center of gravity issue. You could  deploy a pair of light weight out riggers just far enough aft so as not to not interere with  paddle strokes yet compensate for the higher center of gravity a high seat brings. Eighteen inches extension is enough to prevent a rollover. They can be set high enough so they will seldom contact the water. I set up a 17 foot by two feet sea yak with out riggers and am able to actually stand up if I want. Converting a pedal Hobie to paddle  doesn't make the best sense. Hobies were designed to pedal and in my opinion are not the best for paddling long distance.
Charles

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Gotta plug the Kraken 15.7...29.5" width...fish all day in that seat, has a lumbar airbag as also... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Them's fightin' words! Well, I mean they would be, if only I wasn't so fat and non-athletic...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Hydrospider

And the specs on a Revo 16 are a perfect match for your search (16ft long and 27.5” wide), but it does not perform well as a paddle-only kayak.

Converting a pedal Hobie to paddle  doesn't make the best sense. Hobies were designed to pedal and in my opinion are not the best for paddling long distance.

Coming from 2 guys who's opinion I value, will pretty much cross off this concept.

If you dig into the hobie site they have a quest 13 which looks like a revo 13, but is paddle only. I don’t know anything about them though.
I had a Quest in the mid 2000s. It did not survive the experience. Destroyed the hull on Green creek and no other boat on that trip showed any damage. When I took the issue to Hobie, they did not want to replace it. I wasn't interested in another Hobie anyway and wanted them to pay for my next boat. They said no. I explained that I would be sharing the photos of their inferior plastic all over the planet. They said pick a boat.

Narrow and long kayaks are best for  efficient and fast paddling but the higher you want to sit , lawn chair type seat, for the sake of fishing, the more unstable they will be. Center of gravity issue.
I agree with you Charles. The CoG will be higher but I no longer believe that it is a deal breaker or that additional support is needed.
I spent a year on the Coosa in the high seat position wrestling with clear lake cats. During that year, I gained both strength and confidence riding high.  Then I went down to Baja and fished in a Jackson Cuda in the high seat position and caught a striped Marlin without swimming. It was tough but I got it done. That day really increased my confidence in the elevated position.  Now that there are guys catching Marlin on SUPs the CoG concerns are now negated by skills and strength. One thing that has helped me is the 260cm paddle that has allowed for a much earlier brace when riding higher. One thing that I can't do in the high position is use leg straps but I am toying with the idea of using wake board foot straps instead.

Gotta plug the Kraken 15.7...29.5" width...fish all day in that seat, has a lumbar airbag as also... :smt006
I had the opportunity to test the big Kraken prototype and I have tons of respect for the guys who worked on that project. I just didn't enjoy it. I think it could have been too much boat for me. After the final product was released, I helped a friend load his big Kraken onto a truck rack. I knew without a doubt that it was too big/heavy for me to manage. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I am positive that I want a high CoG chair on my next primary fishing boat but I am equally positive that I don't want a barge.  The Jackson Cuda was one of the worst paddling boats that I have ever been on.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:27:26 AM by Hydrospider »

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

Stop Right There !!!

I have not read your post and possibly will but ,,,

SIR !!!!

this Aggression will not stand !!!

Oh very sly hiding that back handed slap to the Vast Hobie Crowd out there !!!

As a matter fact, I was hurt upon my quest for my first kayak fishing and bought that tinker toy Hobie thinking it would last one season,,,

well,

it lasted 3,,

but thats not the point!!

it got me out there,

I won a carbon paddle ,,

and that was that,, 

on to the romance of paddling  :yak

So, now, yes I agree. Hobies are a ,

very nice fishing platform for those who might be disabled, obese, or non athletic.

I'll go back and read your post now,,

oH,, what this?

Cookies!!!

I'm out of here,,,  :smt006

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:00:28 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Hydrospider

No, I will not stop. I didn't think that was a back handed slap. More like a full frontal. Just polite.
Always makes my day when a rock star like you decides to jump on to one of my threads, old friend.
And speaking of rock stars......I was just up in the city of.
Hope your world is rocking too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:37:04 AM by Hydrospider »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
What big Kraken prototype are you talking about?  It's 85lbs empty,  compared to an Eddyline it's quite a lift but I doubt it's much heavier than the 13.5 Kraken.  Yes, the 15.5 Kraken is a lot of boat but I load it myself with the Malone rack and stinger.  Loaded up it's quite heavy but I bring a kitchen sink along.  I think the length makes it fast.  Maybe the new OK Tridents are your ticket.  Garden chairs are quite comfy all day in any model... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

No, I will not stop. I didn't think that was a back handed slap. More like a full frontal. Just polite.

Yes , you are correct,

It was not hidden and no apologies ,,,

Well Done ,,,  :smt045

wish I was that talented,,,

Rock Star,,?    " more like ,, " Has been ,,, "  :smt005

but thanks anyway,,

you still in the air saving lives?

always thought I wanted that job till I sat in your seat once,,,

OMG,,,   :smt103

Not for me !!!

Your the Rock Star !!

Hell,