Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:45:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

[Today at 01:14:39 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New to the group  (Read 2893 times)

tje803

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Hey I've been reading through all the topics on the site for a couple months now and I figured it was about time to post. Lot's of great info on this site.

I moved out to CA this past December from Michigan. Had to leave my fishing boat behind so I decided to picking up a kayak once I moved out here. I ended up getting an Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 Angler. So far I've been really happy with it.

Back in Michigan I did mostly bass fishing but also occasionally targeted Chinook and Coho Salmon in Lake Michigan and some rainbows in local streams.

I plan on trying for some bass in the Delta and the local reservoirs but also would like to try trolling for some trout, fishing for Halibut and surf perch in central bay, and maybe even some leopard sharks in south bay.

I fished Lake Berryessa yesterday. Tried to launch at Markley cove first, then found out if was $15 to launch a kayak, wow... Ended up launching at Capell, nice launch. It was a very pretty paddle but not a lot of luck with fishing. These deep/clear reservoirs without a lot of structure are going to take some getting used to. After not finding any bass I tried looking around for trout but couldn't find much on the fish finder. Overall a good day, just wish I could have found some fish.

I have a lot of questions but I'll start with just a few:

1. What are the coordinates of the Alameda Rock Wall, as well as the address for that launch?

2. Is there anywhere to launch a kayak on treasure island?

3. Does anyone have suggestions for a good rod/reel combination that could be used for halibut as well as leopard sharks? Length and weight of rod, size/type of reel, type of line and pound test. Good or not so good brands? Larger-sized ocean/bay rods are pretty new to me so I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to check out my post and give me your 2 cents.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:17:00 PM by tje803 »

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Welcome to the madness. That's one pig of a catfish in your avitar pic. Fishing for leapards isn't my specialty, but I've done it. I'll probably let others speak about the ideal gear. I've usually gone somewhat lightweight for them. I've also never been to the Alameda Rock Wall so I can't help there. I would like the address myself. Good luck.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

tje803

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome to the madness. That's one pig of a catfish in your avitar pic. Fishing for leapards isn't my specialty, but I've done it. I'll probably let others speak about the ideal gear. I've usually gone somewhat lightweight for them. I've also never been to the Alameda Rock Wall so I can't help there. I would like the address myself. Good luck.

Hey thanks, the flathead catfish get pretty big in some spots back in Michigan. That's a nice striper you have in your avitar pick. I wouldn't mind targeting some big females once they start running. You get that fish in the delta?

MANBEARPIG

• Half Man, Half Bear, Half Pig: Im super cereal!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Welcome to the madness partner!!  :smt006 The alameda rockwall is pretty sweet, and although I dont know the address, it's right behind encinal high school. As you drive down central, you'll pass a high school with a fighter jet in front, go past the parking lot and you'll see a little drive way that says boat launch, turn in there and drive down the little driveway, it will open up to a big parking lot and a great launch.  It's a nice place to fish, especially come spring time! Good luck! :smt003
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Welcome to the madness. That's one pig of a catfish in your avatar pic. Fishing for leopards isn't my specialty, but I've done it. I'll probably let others speak about the ideal gear. I've usually gone somewhat lightweight for them. I've also never been to the Alameda Rock Wall so I can't help there. I would like the address myself. Good luck.

Hey thanks, the flathead catfish get pretty big in some spots back in Michigan. That's a nice striper you have in your avatar pick. I wouldn't mind targeting some big females once they start running. You get that fish in the delta?

I got that one in the Port of Sacramento. There are plenty like that in the delta too. They run both in the spring and the fall, but can be caught year round. I caught that one in December if my memory serves me correctly.

Since you're a bass fisherman you should get along well in many parts of the delta. It's lousy with black bass. Check out Clear Lake too.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

Ramp is between the track and the base of the wall you can see the wall just to the North
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

tje803

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome to the madness. That's one pig of a catfish in your avatar pic. Fishing for leopards isn't my specialty, but I've done it. I'll probably let others speak about the ideal gear. I've usually gone somewhat lightweight for them. I've also never been to the Alameda Rock Wall so I can't help there. I would like the address myself. Good luck.

Hey thanks, the flathead catfish get pretty big in some spots back in Michigan. That's a nice striper you have in your avatar pick. I wouldn't mind targeting some big females once they start running. You get that fish in the delta?

I got that one in the Port of Sacramento. There are plenty like that in the delta too. They run both in the spring and the fall, but can be caught year round. I caught that one in December if my memory serves me correctly.

Since you're a bass fisherman you should get along well in many parts of the delta. It's lousy with black bass. Check out Clear Lake too.

Any idea what time they typically run in the spring? I've been keeping an eye on the fishing reports in Western Outdoor News and California Sportsman Radio in hopes of hearing when the spring run really turns on this year. Fishing for them looks like a blast. There are just so many species of fish to target out here, make me wish I could quit my job and become a fish bum!

You mind sharing what you typically use for stripers? Swim baits, chatter-baits, rattle traps, x-raps, live bait? If that's a trade secret that's cool too.

tje803

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
MANBEARPIG and mickfish, thanks for the info on ARW. The map and directions were really helpful.

Can I ask what kind of rod/reel combo you guys use when you go out to ARW and fish for Halibut?

I have nice baitcaster on a 7 foot medium heavy rod I could rig up with 25# braid and a fluro leader as well as a 8' 6" medium salmon rod with 20# braid on a nice big spinning reel. I was hoping to make one/both of these work for fishing for halibut and leopard sharks. But if I'm going to be pretty under-gunned with these rods/reels I'm prepared to pick up a more hefty combo if necessary.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Your 7ft rod and baitcasting reel would be perfect for bay halibut. I will be going there in a couple of weeks. Halibut are starting to show in the bay. A 16.5 lb hali was caught over the weekend at Paradise. Also go to the forum , Places to Launch. Theres a ton of info there. Welcome to norcal. Your T-13 will be perfect for the bay and the ocean. Look for hookups you want to attend. Do you live down in Lodi? There should be some good fishing down Monterey area soon. We are having a big party at Half Moon Bay kayak company for our angler of the year awards next Saturday the 19th. Come by if you can the potluck starts at 11am and the awards are after that. Look for that info on the main page of the website on top. My names Craig. Hope to meet you soon. Nice cat! At 5 points an inch on AOTY that would be some points for sure. Google Earth/ Maps , Encinal High School in Alameda. On the west side of the school you can see the ramp. Just like the pic Mike posted up. You will need some larger gear for rockfish and big lingcod on the ocean. Ya never know just what you moght hookinto out there. Hahahaha :smt003
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:21:44 PM by ravensblack »
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

sharky

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile monkeyfacenews
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Tje, your baitcaster should do well for bay hali. The spin combo as well. Spinning gear is not used very much for hali because most anglers like to free spool for ten seconds or so between takedown and hookset. Thats easier done with a baitcaster or conventional. Not to say I havent seen plenty of big hali taken on spin gear.
Can you launch at TI? Kinda.

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm not an expert in striper fishing, but I'll tell you what I think. The stripers start showing in the bay and lower delta first. I would imagine they're there right now. They'll be disapearing by then end of april. Of course you can catch them year round, just not as many. Watch for them to start showing in the reports from the bay and then the lower delta.

I've fished for them in a number of different ways. I started fishing bait in the Rio Vista area then moved to trolling. Yo-zuris were my go to trolling lure. I've also used rattle traps, swim baits, jigs etc.. I'm still learning so I'm hoping others will chime in.

Fisherman's Warehouse has seminars regularly. That would be a good start too.

Also take a look at this.
http://www.fishdelta.com/articles/delta-fishing-articles-index.html

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Welcome to the madness tje :smt006 I would suggest the Trevala 7'0" 20-50lb
braid, Medium light power paired with Avet sx. I've used this setup from catching
halibut, rockfish to landing a sturgeon. Good luck and looking forward
to fishing with you soon. Oh, and one more thing, try and make most of the hookups so you can meet all of the great folks here.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

RawYak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
The port has big stripers. You can catch them on artificials, but i'd say live bait is the best choice.  I'm definitely no expert either, but I have hooked into many heavy fish on large bait at the port. I finally learned that I needed to beef up my equipment and actually landed one last year.

My two cents.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Ever check out the runways at Alameada Pt.?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

atavuss

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
welcome to the madness TJE.  if you want to target trout there are a few lakes within an hours drive of Lodi.  Del Valle by Livermore, Comanche, Pardee, and Amador in the foothills and a few others I did not mention.  in the summer after the high country lakes ice out you have lots of lakes available to you for trout within 2 or 3 hours drive.  I put my Hobie Pro Angler in 10 different high country lakes last summer in the highway 88 area. 
Fishing is cheaper than therapy!