Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: NOOB 101 For your enjoyment  (Read 2785 times)

Sea Shark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
   NOOB 101

Time: 3AM
Place Sea Sharks house (aka the noob fam)
When the alarm went off I was excited with the plan for the day. Take the whole family out to Dorn with our new Yaks and get some fish and Dungies. I had this funny feeling though. Ignoring that, I got up to find My daughter, who we were supposed to pick-up from a friend’s house, on the front couch. Hmmm
Number 1, the house was locked and everyone in bed. We found out she had hopped the fence, tripped over the Yaks in the dark, crawled in thru the dog door and found a window ajar. When She voiced here concerns I pointed out that anyone willing to go thru a dog door the size to fit a mastiff either knows the dog or makes Rambo look like a woos. As to why her sudden appearance on the couch, was discussed between stops and sudden oh sh?ts on the freeway. After letting her get a little more sleep we backed the kid’s wakeup time to 4. The time I had figured we would be on the road, ROFLMAO. We got everything loaded and hit the road by 4:45. Not bad.  After startling the station attendant and filling the 2 cars. Yes 2, we are a fam of 6 and after adding the Yaks and equipment required we found we all can’t fit in the van with it. Anyone have some trailer plans they would share?
So a hundred dollars lighter, we hit the road. I was leading on the freeway and we were making good time when I realized The lights behind me were gone Hmmm
Number 2, After a quick flash of a freeway yard sale I grabbed and dialed (yes I have an ear piece) it went.
 Hello?
 Hiwhatswrong?Whereareyou?IseverythingOK?
Fine now, we had a problem.
 I kind figured that, what happened?
 The Yaks shifted, it’s fixed now.
 OK I will drive slowly while you catch up.
Doing 15 under the limit I was on the phone with her when she was coming up to the Yolo causeway bridge. That’s when I heard her say did that shift, my son replied ya I think so, s*&tDamncrap. We are pulling over now call you right back click. Now I am in a mild panic. Got her back on the phone and missed the first turn around spot. They were just past the last off ramp and fixing the prob. After I did a stock car loop of the freeway we meet up on the Davis side time is now 545. We made 20 miles in 1 hour. We were going to have to leave from Dorn by 1. So I made the command decision we were turning around and going home. Not enough time. I was some kind of Judas to the kids. After we took one Yak off the van and strapped it flat to my truck, and stacked the other flat to the van. We headed towards the house. Wanting more punishment I decided we would go lake fishing instead. We would stop change the salt water gear for fresh and go to Comanche. My oldest son asked to be left at home. I told him “no, I only get to see you every other weekend so come dry lakes or lost Yaks we are doing this together.” Once we got to the lake and got set up we were great for a while. My son and Daughter were on the new Malibu XL and I was on the Scrambler with the FF on it. Found out when the basket of gear dropped and it hit the floor it was damaged.  After successfully not catching any fish for 2 hours my lady and son were laughing as I paddled in lying down backwards. Until they realized I had cramped up across my stomach that is. LOL I am a FOG, so they had to help me out of the boat. My oldest took it out next and said he was glad I made him go, All the kids had fun and we caught no fish. Ride home was uneventful and it turned out to be a great day.   
Just add Ocean
1982 NCL Sharkbait

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
   NOOB 101

Time: 3AM
Place Sea Sharks house (aka the noob fam)
When the alarm went off I was excited with the plan for the day. Take the whole family out to Dorn with our new Yaks and get some fish and Dungies. I had this funny feeling though. Ignoring that, I got up to find My daughter, who we were supposed to pick-up from a friend’s house, on the front couch. Hmmm
Number 1, the house was locked and everyone in bed. We found out she had hopped the fence, tripped over the Yaks in the dark, crawled in thru the dog door and found a window ajar. When She voiced here concerns I pointed out that anyone willing to go thru a dog door the size to fit a mastiff either knows the dog or makes Rambo look like a woos. As to why her sudden appearance on the couch, was discussed between stops and sudden oh sh?ts on the freeway. After letting her get a little more sleep we backed the kid’s wakeup time to 4. The time I had figured we would be on the road, ROFLMAO. We got everything loaded and hit the road by 4:45. Not bad.  After startling the station attendant and filling the 2 cars. Yes 2, we are a fam of 6 and after adding the Yaks and equipment required we found we all can’t fit in the van with it. Anyone have some trailer plans they would share?
So a hundred dollars lighter, we hit the road. I was leading on the freeway and we were making good time when I realized The lights behind me were gone Hmmm
Number 2, After a quick flash of a freeway yard sale I grabbed and dialed (yes I have an ear piece) it went.
 Hello?
 Hiwhatswrong?Whereareyou?IseverythingOK?
Fine now, we had a problem.
 I kind figured that, what happened?
 The Yaks shifted, it’s fixed now.
 OK I will drive slowly while you catch up.
Doing 15 under the limit I was on the phone with her when she was coming up to the Yolo causeway bridge. That’s when I heard her say did that shift, my son replied ya I think so, s*&tDamncrap. We are pulling over now call you right back click. Now I am in a mild panic. Got her back on the phone and missed the first turn around spot. They were just past the last off ramp and fixing the prob. After I did a stock car loop of the freeway we meet up on the Davis side time is now 545. We made 20 miles in 1 hour. We were going to have to leave from Dorn by 1. So I made the command decision we were turning around and going home. Not enough time. I was some kind of Judas to the kids. After we took one Yak off the van and strapped it flat to my truck, and stacked the other flat to the van. We headed towards the house. Wanting more punishment I decided we would go lake fishing instead. We would stop change the salt water gear for fresh and go to Comanche. My oldest son asked to be left at home. I told him “no, I only get to see you every other weekend so come dry lakes or lost Yaks we are doing this together.” Once we got to the lake and got set up we were great for a while. My son and Daughter were on the new Malibu XL and I was on the Scrambler with the FF on it. Found out when the basket of gear dropped and it hit the floor it was damaged.  After successfully not catching any fish for 2 hours my lady and son were laughing as I paddled in lying down backwards. Until they realized I had cramped up across my stomach that is. LOL I am a FOG, so they had to help me out of the boat. My oldest took it out next and said he was glad I made him go, All the kids had fun and we caught no fish. Ride home was uneventful and it turned out to be a great day.   

That's some adventure!  :smt044
I'm glad the family had a good time out despite the set backs!
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to the board and the MADNESS!   Thanks for sharing your adventure with us Sea Shark.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
WTTM but I'm glad with the mishaps you went for fresh. Salt just seams to add to the problems. :smt003
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
lol

my friend, that story is not a NOOB story at all.  I have been yakking/canoeing all my life and have at least one of those days every year or two  :smt004

I'm glad it worked out OK, as long as everyone can roll, it usually does  :)

and +1 to the salt adding a layer of problems to any trip     :smt012
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
An adventure indeed! 
When the whole family goes yakking, there are bound to be mishaps and funky things happening.  Glad to see you were determined to have a successful family outing- I"m sure your kids will be laughing about it will treasure it for years to come!

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Classic! :smt044

If I counted the number of times I forgot stuff and dunked phones, dropped minnows, yaks, etc. I would probably just stick to simpler sports.

I remember when I thought it such a pain to get my bicycle stuff ready!

BTW: get some good roof racks - if you don't already have them. Much safer for everyone!
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
WTTM and you deserve a medal for making them all have fun! :smt002 and each time you go out, it gets easier&easier.....oh, andNOWdon'tFORGETtheCAMERAeither!  :smt003
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
front & rear tie downs help a lot to reduce the stress factor when you are cartopping yaks. Sounds like a yak/gear trailer would really help you out.

FH is right, it will get easier the more you go. I used to actually make a checklist & go over it before leaving the house!

Thanks for the post!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
   NOOB 101

.......................and it turned out to be a great day.   

Great Post, thanks for sharing, everybody has those days at some point, but I see you finished up the story with the most important part.

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Gladly it ends in better way...could have been worse, thanks for sharing it to us..like everyone else WTTM..hope to fish with you soon..BTW, if you have manufacturers roof rack buy the pipe insulation on home depot, use the scupper hole to secure it further..
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
My oldest son asked to be left at home. I told him “no, I only get to see you every other weekend so come dry lakes or lost Yaks we are doing this together.”

Hey man, don't sell yourself short!
This is actually part of the curriculum for the NOOB 102 course. So you're already Noob'ing at a second-year level. Congrats!

(~: Thanks for sharing your story. And Welcome to the Madness!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
lol
NOOB 102 coursework--forcing the fun
is NOOB 110; putting accessories permanently on the boat.....in the "not quite right" locations   :smt005
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

anything