Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New to the site.  (Read 4092 times)

Garety

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Hello All :smt006,
My names Garet, I'm new to the site, but I've been kayak fishing for about 2 years and have about 50 surf launchings/landings under my belt. I've flyfished for close to 15years, and fished in general for close to 20. I've also been active on Kayaksportfishing.com for the last 2 years and have ~350 posts over there. I've also have gone on some of the trip, so I know a few people.

I reciently changed jobs and moved to Sonora California. So i'm looking to meet some guys who will want to fish locally. I have a 6 to 6 job, so middle of the week is kind of tough, but i try to go fishing every weekend. Though it may be tough with this weather, im thinking of hitting don pedro tomorrow. I have a Blue Trident 15, So far ive only been out to Beardsley since moving up here, but I'll drive like 2 hours each way for a day trip if there is a hot bit  :smt002. so think thats most of the bay/delta.

Any ways looking for ward to meeting every one on the water.
-Garet

Jeffrm20

• =)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Hey Garet, welcome! I live just on the other side of the bridge (Parrots Ferry) from you, just above Murphys. I usually do a lot of fishing at Melones. I am hoping to have another kayak by spring and can show you some good spots.

Jeff

Frankfishing

Garety

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice to meet ya Jeff,

I hit new melonies this morning, and this evening and it has not turned yet :(, though just from the shore, did manage a 30 inch cat , was kind of more a exploration trip, to scout launches/learn the area will post a picture in a few

Garety

• Salmon
  • View Profile

sorry for the poor quality just taken with my camera phone in the headlights of my car, but like i said 30 inch cat :)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome aboard, Garet.  Nice cat - wait til you can't handle catching one unless it's on your yak!   :smt005

The madness is real.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
Welcome to NCKA Garet! :D

I am very impressed with your broad range of fishing skills, especially with the surf launches/landing :) I am certain that you will feel right at home here, as our brothers/sisters here are first class! I look forward to reading more from you, fish and learn from you, and to build a friendship with you as well.

Again, welcome!! :)

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Really garet really. Hehe
welcome to ncka.
Hope ur having fun even thow u left us down here in the southern part of our state. Hope ur winter is good and u catch a few fish.

Dpshim he may have 50 launches under his belt but let me tell you they may not have all been pretty. Hehe ;) jk garet

now I don't have anyone to give a hard time when I go fishing I'll have to start on Bobby abain.   

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Garet  :smt006  Thanks for the report and picture of my "soon to be caught" kitty  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LapuLapu

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Welcome aboard Garet!  Sounds like you are bringing a lot of expertise in surf launching.  Nice cat you got there.  I heard Beardsley is good for trout this year.

Rey

redwoodfox

badog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Garet, Welcome to NCKA!! I live near Modesto and fish the Tuolumne, Merced and Stanislaus Rivers. Lots of fish on the Tuolumne!! Let me know if you ever want to go!!

Badog
Ride 135
Fish n Dive

Garety

• Salmon
  • View Profile
lol, yeah like Ryan said Ive had a few nasty launches and landings... lets see few memorable ones...

First day out was a 3-5 ft surf day at St johns creek in ventura, i had now clue what i was doing, got out ok, punched through a 3 foot wave, coming in i learned a Fish-n-Dive does not surf. weights is too far forward, nose went under and went over the front end of it, as it went vertical.

Another day, out at county line with Yaksailor and PeteO (Ryan's fav buddy) surf was 2 feet every 5 seconds, finally i just went for it, ate 2 waves, but cleared the break, or so i thought, biggest swell we'd seen is coming i paddle hard into it, to try and punch through. at the last second i put my hands straight up so the paddle would not get pushed back... my hands did not reach high enough... curl of the wave broke over the top of my hands.  i learned a FnD surfs very well backwards, I road the wave in backwards 50 ish yards, and then tipped over in 2 feet of water trying to stand up on the beach.

My FIRST day out with the T15 was at esco, a notoriously easy sheltered launch. There was a diver group there and about 30 people getting ready to go on a dive. I wade out knee deep, wait for a good break, hop up in the air, over the kayak and fall in the water on the other side.... a T15 is about 8 inches narrower and 4 inches lower to the water than a FnD.

And this landing i am proud of, was with Yak sailor at county line. I had sat outside the break waiting for an opening. Surfers were looking at my like WTF?. A big set went by, I went for it, one more big wave decided to come in, i thought im screwed, it was big enough i started surfing it before it broke. The life guards saw this, went across the tower 2x looking for his floaty, climbed down the ladder, ran 30 yards up the beach, Im still surfing the wave while this is happening. As i come in i see his face go from excited i get to save some one, too Awww.. he does not needs saving. i surfed that wave i figure 70 yards all the way up to the sand:)

Frankfishing

lol, yeah like Ryan said Ive had a few nasty launches and landings... lets see few memorable ones...

First day out was a 3-5 ft surf day at St johns creek in ventura, i had now clue what i was doing, got out ok, punched through a 3 foot wave, coming in i learned a Fish-n-Dive does not surf. weights is too far forward, nose went under and went over the front end of it, as it went vertical.

Another day, out at county line with Yaksailor and PeteO (Ryan's fav buddy) surf was 2 feet every 5 seconds, finally i just went for it, ate 2 waves, but cleared the break, or so i thought, biggest swell we'd seen is coming i paddle hard into it, to try and punch through. at the last second i put my hands straight up so the paddle would not get pushed back... my hands did not reach high enough... curl of the wave broke over the top of my hands.  i learned a FnD surfs very well backwards, I road the wave in backwards 50 ish yards, and then tipped over in 2 feet of water trying to stand up on the beach.

My FIRST day out with the T15 was at esco, a notoriously easy sheltered launch. There was a diver group there and about 30 people getting ready to go on a dive. I wade out knee deep, wait for a good break, hop up in the air, over the kayak and fall in the water on the other side.... a T15 is about 8 inches narrower and 4 inches lower to the water than a FnD.

And this landing i am proud of, was with Yak sailor at county line. I had sat outside the break waiting for an opening. Surfers were looking at my like WTF?. A big set went by, I went for it, one more big wave decided to come in, i thought im screwed, it was big enough i started surfing it before it broke. The life guards saw this, went across the tower 2x looking for his floaty, climbed down the ladder, ran 30 yards up the beach, Im still surfing the wave while this is happening. As i come in i see his face go from excited i get to save some one, too Awww.. he does not needs saving. i surfed that wave i figure 70 yards all the way up to the sand:)

Been in southern waters after I learned to Kayak here in Northern waters. Big Difference with emphasis on BIG........ Polepole just put up a new section called safety first. Just a suggestion.

Garety

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Been in southern waters after I learned to Kayak here in Northern waters. Big Difference with emphasis on BIG........ Polepole just put up a new section called safety first. Just a suggestion.

... uhm... yeah... understand

I actually have been up north already too.... in 15 foot swell and all...  CL is actually one of the toughest launches down south, it is as tough as any launch up north... 2/3 the time its not worth trying to get out there....

I already have all that safety gear, + some

I'M NOT SURE HOW BAD THE SWELL IS AT DON PEDRO, NEW MELONES OR THE DELTA BUT I'LL BECAREFUL JUST FOR YOU FRANKFISH, lol

anything