Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:59:43 AM]

[Today at 10:16:35 AM]

[Today at 09:51:21 AM]

[Today at 08:16:44 AM]

[Today at 07:04:56 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:18:31 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:44:23 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 02:26:27 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 01:51:05 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam 4/2  (Read 9911 times)

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
What an awesome event Ricci and Gary had put together at Berry. Thanks for all
the many hours you both put in to make this happen for all of us to enjoy. Thanks also to Christina and Rick Sr. for helping out. Big congrats to GB2 on winning first
place and also for the rest that caught fish. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be
for me to catch any that day. It was nice fishing with all of you again and meeting
new folks. I can already see  that next year will be even bigger with more people
signing up. Mooch, sorry you couldn't be there bro. I hope you are feeling better.
Good luck on your surgery on Tuesday. BTW, I made sure to show up with Bepstek and steamed rice this time.  See you all at the Clear Lake Tourney.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

BANJOTAD

• North Valley Slayers
  • Sea Lion
  • Hobie Revolution
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Looks like you guys had a great time despite the lack of fish :smt004
At least you didn't get the 20-30 mph winds we had at Shasta. :smt012
Thanks all for the reports and pics :smt003
Tad
 :smt006

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Had a great weekend fishing at Berry with Sara  :smt007  We got there around 2PM Friday and launched in search of some bass and trout fun.  Left the FF, crate, etc and just grabbed a rod and some bass tackle and headed out old school  :smt003  Finally found some fish in the last cove by the damn and nabbed a couple small spots before finding a leagal one.  Not too bad, caught 3 bass and called it a day.

Meet up with the crew at the launch in the morning and got setup and on the water in record time (for us  :smt005 ) Trolled a J7 through the weed infested narrows having to clear my line several times before reaching the open area.   :smt013  Setup the DR and sent down a glow hoochie on a glow dodger and then a spoon on my other rod.  Tolled and trolled and trolled...  Never found a fish!  Swapped setups on the DR at least 3 times, and tried a variety of spoons with no luck.  Oh well, thats the way it goes sometimes!  I'll definetly be trying closer to the shoreline like Dilbeck said next time  :smt002  I did manage to pickup one more spot on the "spot" I found the day before.  Not an upgrade, but at least it wasn't a skunk  :smt004

After the party ended we headed back up 128 and as we were driving heard this really weird sound sqwaking at us as we drove by. We turned back around to find out what the heck it was, and pull into the parking lot of Puta Creek? campground and was greeted by a Peacock!  Man, those things are LOUD!!!  But friendly this one was  :smt003  Sara feed it some peanuts  :smt005
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Really great slam put on by Ricci/MakinItCount and crew. It was obvious that you guys put a lot of time into this and I was very impressed with how smooth the day went. The VHF chatter was really helpful on the water as guys that hooked up instantly shared their results and lures used. I've never seen that much plastic in one place. For newbie kayak anglers these events are probably better than going down to your local kayak dealer as you can see various yaks "angler ready". It was cool browsing the different setups.

Lake Berry. is a beautiful lake. Green/blue/clear water with awesome green sloping hills surrounding it. Boaters were very respectful giving a wide birth everytime they cruised by. Lake staff was friendly, easy launch. I'd love to fish it again.

With the wife 1 month from having our boy I needed to get back before 6. Left a little early, sorry for that.   :smt004

Great job guys. You put on a heck of a "friendly get together".

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Sounds like another successful NCKA event despite the lack of fish love.
Thanks for sharing the pics./stories, it 's the nex't best thing to being there. Hope I can make it nex't year.
Congrats to GB2 on that nice looking king, I liked the way you switched it up, good idea. :smt003

T.L.,Tim
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Thanks Ricci and Gary and everyone else involved for a real fun day. This was my third NCKA event, and it's impressive how everyone joins in to help and have fun.
Although I didn't even get a bump, I learned a lot about freshwater salmon fishing, spent most of my time experimenting with the downrigger I just installed, and how to position the rodholders,etc. Still have work to do, but lots of ideas after seeing how others rigged their yaks.
Awesome food again, and great meeting new folks and seeing others I've met before.
Congrats, gb2 and everyone  else that caught fish.
Jim
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
More photos I missed
Formally "jimgosc"

3rd place MBK Derby 2009

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Again. Having trouble posting more than one photo.
Duh.
Formally "jimgosc"

3rd place MBK Derby 2009

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
WX = best day @ Berry ever for me= NO WIND!

Crowd = the lake seemed empty of power boats,,,,,except for the one that clipped........  :smt011, but only one!!

NCKA Family = like always,,,, pure class!

BIG THANKS TO Gary, Ricci & Family
The whole thing went off w/o a single hitch, and it was a blast to see the Win,Place &Show finishers (and all the rest of us) get quality goods from the various QUALITY sponsors......even the goodie bag of KokeGear was well thought out. = WELL DONE!!!!

Congrats to All who came and joined in and to hell with those who "flaked" = it was your loss and you were missed.  :smt002
......and the FOOD was, well, very, very good!!  = another successful NCKA Hook up, a BIG Hook up!!

Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Ricci just stopped by and delivered raffle prizes for Auburn TD and I SWEET!!  What a great event!!   despite a skunk, my journal now has annotated photo's of what and who won (molly and GB2) along with other good info...next year I'll be more ready  :)
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Congrats to All who came and joined in and to hell with those who "flaked" = it was your loss and you were missed.  :smt002
......and the FOOD was, well, very, very good!!  = another successful NCKA Hook up, a BIG Hook up!!
Adam... don't rub salt in my wound.  It already hurts.  I knew I missed out.  My mother-in-law threw a last minute birthday party on Saturday for my wife and I even had relatives in town from Tahoe.  Sneaking out to Berryessa to fish would have killed what little WAF I have for the rest of the year.

Congrats to Scott/Molly for being the "top dogs".  No surprise there.   The first time I met Scott, he was schooling Freddie and I at a local lake.

Congrats too to the other winners and participants.  I'm seriously glad to see that everyone had a great time.

Big KUDOS to Ricci and the other event organizers/supporters!
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Mooch, I was a lil bummed you didnt make it as i was really looking forward taking you out on my boat to show and explore berryessa w/ you but staying home and taking care of your health and seeing you at the next hookup is WAY More important and glad you made the right call....I just wanted to let You, Marvin, And the rest of the NCKA Family know that we were able to donate and collect a big $156 dollars for you and marvin to help you guys out! We love you guys and hope we all can keep the good times rolling with yall...Looking forward to next big event and doing it all over again. You and Marvin in my prayers bud and i hope tuesday's surgery goes well...pm whenevr you can bud, ricci.
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Looks like another great NCKA event!  Sorry I missed this hookup because of the flight schedule change.  Congrat to GB2 and all who attended and thanks for all the reports + pictures.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

exhibita

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
After weeks of preparation and untold (at least to my GF) fortunes in new and specialized gear, I think I can crown this beautiful plate my most expensive portion of fish... Ever.

Butterflied Berryessa King over a warm arugula and white bean salad- lemon shallot vinaigrette, St. Peter's IPA...
Yep, it was worth it.

When I die I want to come back as me- and I want friends like Ricci and Gary, you guys just made my month.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Mooch, you were there in spirit.  I mooched a hot dog, a bratwurst, and some chocolate cake from the banquet. 

I took the family there in the hopes to to fish for and catch a few bass.  Even though my kids don't go fishing too much they still rate fishing as one of the most fun things they do with me.  So I wanted them to catch a few fish.  I use to go to Berryessa in high school and part of college.  I remembered some spots that seem to always hold fish.  Hit up two of those spots and things haven't changed as the girls caught a half dozen chunky bass at one of my super duper secret spots.   :smt044

Hope to post a few pics when we download them.

Nate

anything