Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Striped Perch  (Read 3510 times)

Dawson308

Hello all, I would like to intruduce myself.  I don't have a kayak , but I hope to soon.  I have been readin this forum and there is a lot of good info here.  I just thought I would share this catch with you guys.  We caught about 5 of these from the shore near gerstle cove.  We also caught a few greenling.  I estimated the biggest perch at about 2, 1/4 pounds.  Is this big for these and does anyone ever catch em from their kayaks?  I can't wait to get out there in a kayak.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
That's pretty big.  The only one that size I've gotten was shot off mackerricker SB in 30' of water.  Don't know what he was doing way out with the rockfish, but he regretted it.

Usually we use bigger baits to go after rockfish and lingcod ect, perch aren't up to taking a bite, though I snag one on a diamond jig now and then.  IME perch stay hazardously close to shore, though you could probably do pretty good paddling around outside the breakers and casting into finger channels, ect.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Dude that is a fat perch!

Dawson308

We got into a scholl of em, ... most of em were close to that big..... I have heard of ppl catchin em a lil off shore around the kelp on shrimp fly rigs.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I believe those are called rainbow surfperch, and that is all I shot at Russian Gulch the other day.  Welcome!

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Yup.  Rainbow Perch (or Striped Perch).  I see them all the time in the kelp beds.   I also see Pile Perch, but not as often.  You can even chum them in quite easily.  When I'm diving I crack an urchin every now and then and it doesn't take long for the perch to come a running.  I'd fish for them more, but when I'm out there I'd rather drop down on lings or rockies.  But with the seasons closed ... who knows.  I've been needing to get out on the ocean.

-Allen

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
These are striped perch, not rainbow perch.  There are something like 14 perches along the CA coast.  I was confused myself when I first bumped into these guys, they're so pretty they aught to be more than just 'striped'.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Dawson308

Aye, a very beautiful fish, and they taste delicious too.  Yum Yum.  By the way, I was using a 9 foot heavy action rod and 24 pound test and they fought very good.  I could fish for em all day lookin for 5 big ones  :smt003   I wish I would have weighed them, Mighta been more than 2, 1/4.  Thinkin back it was a heck of a time tryin to crank em 8 feet up off of the water to where I was.

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have gotten a few silvers at Linda Mar fishing for bait for Salmon.

It was probably 8 to 10 ft of water.  I think it is doable on a calm day.  The Barred Perch I catch off the beaches are usually in the breakers and you might be able to cast from the outside in to shore.

Watch out for the surfers and swimmers.

Ken

cpyak

agreed, rainbow surfperch, they get big, i have caught them up to 2lbs off the hmb jetty when i was a kid.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I looked it up, definitely striped  :fish2

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
I looked it up too.  We're all right.  Striped is the formal name.  Rainbow is a common name.

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Hi all,

This will be my first post to this site, but as a marine biologist I thought this might  be a good time to chime in.  Common names are notoriously difficult to pin down.  The American Fisheries Society (AFS) has attempted to standardize such names, but who other than scientists actually use that list.

For example, did you know that in Maryland, striped bass are called "Rockfish", go figure.  And don't get me started on "snapper".

Anyway, officially, the fish posted are Embiotoca lateralis or the
Striped Seaperch (evidently even the name surfperch has changed).

The Rainbow Seaperch is a different species Hypsurus caryi.

For those of you into fish, a great website for fish information such as common names, ecology and even images is http://www.fishbase.org.

As for me, I'm a visiting researcher at the Bodega Marine Lab who has recently gotten back into kayak fishing.  Unfortuneatly, I didn't get me new kayak until that last two weeks of rockfish season so I'm dying to find off season fishing opportunities.  If I find something to fish this winter on the Sonoma Coast I'll be sure to post a report.

-Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
bsteves-welcome!  I am a fisheries biologist and work in Sonoma County, we should get together at Bodega when the halibut show up.  You are right, common names are the worst, but latin isn't necessarily user friendly either.   I think the only thing worse than common names are "market" names used by fish wholesale and retailers.  I have yet o see a red snapper in North America that really was!

Dawson308

Hey btw when do they Halibut show up at bodega?  I have been wanting to catch some.

anything