Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Linda Mar Report  (Read 5252 times)

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I took my friend's scupper pro out for a spin at Linda Mar Sunday morning because I'm thinking of getting one. No fishing allowed of course, so my yudder friend from Shelter Cove and I freedove in the rocks inside Linda Mar bay.  Got one legal cab (19"). I saw 7 lings, 5 legal and most of them in 6' of water. Tempting.  :smt018  
    The offshore wind in the AM was crazy, I got blown over on that scup. Pretty treacherous until the wind calmed (when I got to shore), but fair viz considering and it still looked OK today, probably better.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
How did you like the Scupper?  I can't fit my big ass in one comfortably, so I've never tried one for any distance.  I always watch bigeyedave's scupper when we go out and it looks like it goes through the water nicely.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I too was interested in a Scupper Pro, but my ass wouldn't fit either.  Too bad, it's a nice, well proven boat.
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
my ass could fit in the scupper.....IF I lost 40 pounds  :smt104 IMO: I actually found it "tippy".....

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14910

They dove out to 50ft.  Guess I got alot of training to do... :smt017
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Damn I hate groundfish being closed for so long....  :smt010

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That's why part of my Jan bonus is going towards a decent speargun.    It'll be nice to be carrying when abalone diving too, I feel a little under-armed packing just an oversized butterknife...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I spent the weekend watching really cool freediving videos on loan from the bigeyedave library.  One called "blue-freediving the californias" was great, I highly recommend it.

I too am saving for a speargun.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
It was a little hard to judge the scupper because the wind was so wild. I did mention that I got blown over once, but I wouldn't necessarily blame that on the boat. I did notice that it seemed to dance around a lot; my fibreglass Nomad seems to track better, maybe because you ride lower in the water in it. I love the Nomad, it's just really fragile. The scupper tracked really well after I flipped it and got a few gallons of water in it! I'm really looking for something that's fast 'cause that's what I'm used to; does a rudder help with stability? Does anyone fish with a ruddered kayak?
      Promethe, thanks for the link to the dive site. Those 50' dives are respectable; I'm good for 30 or so at most (on a good day), mainly due to equalizing problems. This time of year I lay off the long term ear meds(steroid spray and Allegra) to give my body a rest, so 20-25's the limit. But as I said the lings were hanging out in 5-6', just not the blues and blacks, and certainly not the vermillions. Those 50' guys had some choice fish!
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Rich,

I think the rudder does help.  I have a Hobie Outback and a Cobra Tourer.  The Hobie has more or less a round bottom.  I have flipped over in the Hobie, but it was my error. It would differently flip a lot more without it.  Also, helps when the wind and tide are pushing you a direction you do not want to go.

I have never paddled the Scupper pro one of the few Ocean Kayak I have not demo.  I have heard it was tippy.

I tried my buddy's Wilderness Sys. Freedom.  A very fast 15 ft. sit on top.  It was fast and tippy.

Ken

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Granite-on the East Coast and the Gulf Coast a rudder is pretty much standard issue for fisherman.  They however don't have kelp of a rock infested shoreline like use.  Some hulls just track betterl than other, but generally if it tracks well it will be harder to turn.  Scupper are the narrowest of the popular sit on yop boats at 26 inches wide, hence the tippy feeling.  They are super popular with the Cen Cal crowd as they believe they are the fastest SOT yak (which at one time was very true), but in reality those days are over.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I used to paddle a Cobra Tourer that had a rudder.  I took it out on my trips to Moss Landing and Davenport last year (where it got windy later in the afternoon) ...however, now that I paddle a Prowler - without a rudder - I feel that I really CAN do WITHOUT the help of it.

I also spoke to an experienced sit-inside-yaker (he was a customer at REI)and I remember him telling me to get used to paddling a yak WITHOUT the help of a rudder FIRST. His reason behind this was that you need to learn how to control your paddling skills at the worse possible conditions without the convenience of having the rudder to help keep your boat holding at a straight course. He said to rely more on controlling your paddle strokes to keep the yak at a straight course.

Bottom line, he said  "try not to depend too much on the rudder - just in case it fails on you"

I totally agree.

Anonymous

Agree with you Hana on the rudder thing-- learn without first.
but a rudder is ooohhhhh, soooo nice when fishing in the windy bay.  Lots of times i can simply sit back and drift or  troll with the wind while controlling where i go with the rudder. Lovely stuff.  And for those days where the wind is blowing one way, and the current the other- i can control my drift without the paddle.  Love it.

Course, my beat up old Dolphin doesn't really track straight anymore without the rudder anyway
I absolutely hate the rudder for surfing in-- once your sideways there's no better way to flip than have 12" of aluminum pointed into the undertow!