Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: No longer a sturgeon virgin... 1-8-05  (Read 11706 times)

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Well, that $70 in new fishing liscences paid off.  I met up at bucks with the dirty half dozen and our convoy paddled past the duck blinds onto shell bank about 2 miles from bucks.  After Erik anchored I paddled past him a bit, then noticed that the ripple pattern on the water changed about 50 yards from me, I supposed that the water was moving differently on either side of that area and such 'tidal rips' or whatever were supposed to be good places to fish sturgeon, so I went there and anchored and the fishing started.  I was getting a few nibbles now and then, one lightning quick hookset yielded the culprit, a croaker.  I rebaited with one ghost shrimp on one hook, and 4 grass shrimp on the other, wrapped in enough strechy thread that it formed a perfect ball of shrimps with two hook points sticking out and no hanging bits for croakers to steal.  I thought to myself it was about the most perfect sturgeon bait I'd ever put together and cast it out.  

About the time I was starting to feel like a dork for anchoring almost out of earshot of the rest of the group without a radio, I felt a tug and jerked my rod in response.  The rod doubled over and the tip didn't even move (that's spectra for ya!), there wasn't any sudden ourburst of violence and for a second I thought I'd hooked a log or some kind of snag, but then it started taking line.  The fish briefly splashed at the surface, not enough for me to get a glimse of it, but plenty to suggest I had a sturgeon instead of a ray or skate.  We played give and take with about 4 moderately long runs, I guess I was under the impression they were supposed to be more feisty than this, so I was worried once I got it near the kayak that it'd be undersized, but the first sight I had of him bannished that thought.  I yelled out that I had a monster and I'd need a snare.  

Chuck obligingly came along and positioned his kayak next to mine.  We had a paddle spanning two two yaks, under both pairs of knees to hold us together for the attempt at snaring the sturgeon.  My rod was a 9 footer, which made it hard to get the fish next to me, so I had chuck hold the rod while I attempted to snare the fish.  After some jockeying around I got the snare over the fish's head and pectoral fins and yanked it tight.  The fish didn't like that and dove.  I held on to the end of the cable for a few seconds, but let go before I could capsize.  We got him back up again, the the snare was still around him, but against the dorsal fin a ways down the fish.  A few failed attemps to grab the snare forced us to release the anchor to see if getting the fish out of the current would help, it did, but not enough.  

Time for plan B, the brute force approach.  Erik gave me his club/gaff and every time I got the fishes head near me I gave him a whack.  After two good whacks the fish was swimming in a spiral, a good indication I was causing damage, and after 4 he was hardly moving anymore.  We tried again to grab the snare but it was on the lower half of the sturgeon that rarely came near the surface.  Finally I just grabbed him by the gill, hauled the head on my lap and layed into it with the club.  This part I wish we had on video, Erik was yelling "hit him, hit him!" and I was laying into the fish with all I had.  Joel even heard the yelling and whacking from about half a mile away.  Once I couldn't whack anymore I strung the fish up on a rope and tied him off.  Then I sliced the gills apart, and only then, removed the hooks, both of which were in there good.

That began the horrendous trip back.  We paddled back to the area we started and fished for another hour, Joel graciously brought me my anchor and I got to rest and fish a bit more.  The wind got worse and we moved another half mile in and kept fishing.  Finally we headed in for keeps.  I left about 20 minuts before everyone else because I was slow with the weight of the fish and fatigue.  I felt like that cow in the commercial that's going to california because I went about 200 yards in 20 minutes...  

Once back we measured and weighted it.  67" and 60lbs on the nose.  Erik kindly demonstrated how to clean it, my hands reduced to knarled claws from all the paddling, so I don't think I'd have been able to do it myself at that point.  I split up the fish 6 ways and we all got to bring some home.  What'd I do with 40lbs of sturgeon steaks anyway?

Anxiously awaiting photos, they should be fit for the family geneology book...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thats awesome!  It brings back memories of my first time.  After you get.....uh...de-flowered your supposed to give them big sucker lips a little :smt008 to ensure you re-produce.  And to answer the question about what do you do with the 40 lbs of fillets, its simple: barbecue, deep fry, bake, smoke, grill and if there's any left you invite the family over.  Congratulations.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hi PS,

I was great fishing with you.  I am gald someone got one.  I am surprise you wanted to share your catch.

Joel going to hate me (nothing new).  Next time you can take it to Ralph's Smoke House on Delmas San Jose.  It is near Bird Ave. and 280.

Ralph's will smoke it for you and vacuum seal it for about $2.50 a pound.  Just make sure you cut out the orange meat around the skin.

It taste like BBQ pork and will last for years (at least one) if it is frozen.

Ken

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
It was great fishing with you guys... definitely a fun crew to weather the storm with... the 6 amigos.  I'm really glad we were able to come back with a good one... that'll give ya the fever for sure.

I wish we would have had video of Josh and Chuck teaming up with the snare... I had circus music playing in my head during that whole spectacle.  Quite the awkward predicament to say the least... with that long rod, the current, the rods and nets sticking up in the air and all.    All in all, I guess it was a good 30-40 minutes before that fish was landed eh?

Should be some good photos coming from Sean's camera.  Good luck to whomever ventures out tomorrow.  

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Nice work guys! I can't wait to see the pics!

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Josh, CONGRATS and THANKS for the big chunk of sturgeon  :smt023
My wife and ate some for dinner and it was excellent.

I'm so glad you landed that monster despite the comedy of errors that Erik talked about.  What a learning experience.

It was an adventurous day....  

For me, it began with a scary drive around China Camp in bumper high waters which overflowed into the roads during the high tide.   Thank God I had a truck.

The tide was so high at Buck's Landing, we had to launched from the parking lot instead of using the boat ramp.

Then there was the sweet paddle out to and past the duck blinds.  No wind or rain -- I think we were in the eye of the storm because it just got nasty afterwards.

It was exciting watching Josh fight and land that dino.  I even got a chance to feel its power when Josh handed me the rod.  I was worried about everything --- capsizing as the waves were slammin our yaks around.... the fish getting hung up on the Josh's anchor line --- my rod getting stuck in Josh's monster landing net --- Josh hitting the line with the club and losing the fish.  But in the end, it all worked out.

After Josh landed his fish, then it was time to find our anchors after drifting for some time.   Thank goodness I marked the spots on my GPS.  It brought Joel and I to the exact locations.

The paddle back to shore against the wind, strong current, and the pouring rain was crazy but still a lots of fun.

Erik, Sean, Josh, Ken, Joel, Elric -- It was great fishing with you guys.  Let's do it again!

-Chuck

PS:  Erik thanks for paying our parking and launch fees :smt006
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I was looking forward to reading your reports all day.  You did not disappoint.  Great job, can't wait to see the pictures.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Sorry for the delay in the pics, I took a million and it was a bit of sorting, and then I overloading my account at myfishingpics...its never easy :smt017

Anyways what a miserable day to have such a great time!  Great group, and it was nice meeting a few new faces.  Thanks to Erik for setting it up and paying for parking, too nice!

The paddle out was indeed to good to be true, and by the time we got anchored up it started to get ugly.  When I took this pic of kickfish he was upstream.  The wind and current blew him past me later on!

I hooked a couple of croakers and started looking around.  I could see Promethean (Josh) at the other end of the line up bent hard.  I kept checking back, and after at least 20-30 minutes he was still on.  I pulled anchor and got the camera ready.  Chuck and Erik were already on the scene.  When I got there he looked happy, but a little tired.  Then I saw the a bit of the fish and I realized why...it was huge!

The dino was starting to float belly up, and it had been lightly bonked a few times so Chuck helped Josh get the snare around it.  It woke up!  As it thrashed it gave Josh a huge load of bay water in the face and he lost hold of the snare.  We weren't sure if the snare was still on, but eventually we saw that the snare was still on.  Chuck kept trying to get a second hold on the snare, but the fish kept sinking and the wind was howling, making everything nearly impossible.  

Erik stayed at Josh's side coaching the whole time.  It sounded a lot like spring training!  The wind continued to get worse.  We were all wanting Josh to land this beast so we could get out of the open bay.

Finally the dino gave up and came aboard.  Josh beat the thing like mad! :smt021

We kept moving in to get out of the wind so we could fish more, but the wind kept getting worse, so even though we would get more protected, it just never let up.  We finally called it quits and began the long paddle in.  The weight of the fish and his old school paddle kept the lucky fisherman at the back of the pack.  We kept looking back to make sure he was OK.  To make sure we knew mother nature was in charge, heavy rains teamed up with the wind.  We just laughed!  We finally made it back to the launch, and with the tide out, the place looked totally different.  Where we launched was high and dry so we headed for the dock.  We waited at the dock for Josh.  Tired and cold but triumphant he finally made it.

We weighed and measured the fish, and it was a toad...60#'s on the nose.  We gathered up for a group shot.  The guys at the launch couldn't believe that someone actually landed the sturgy from a yak.

Got Meat?  The yeild on this beast was crazy.  Josh generously shared his catch with everybody.  

Yet another awesome day with the NorCal crew.  Let's do it again. :beer3

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
WOW... Sean, you really know how to capture the moment with your digi :smt038   My heartrate went up a few beats just looking at those epics pics.

Thanks,
Chuck
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
If I'm not catching the least I can do is document the moment.  As to taking good pics, I learned the "secret" from a professional.  He said take a million...a few will be good and one will be great.  With the advent of the digi this stratedgy is easier than ever.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It still hurts to squeeze something with my right hand (the rod holding hand with the spinning reel).  I think I've got 'sturgeon elbow' too.

My 67" measurement was over the top of the fish and may have added an inch or so due to the measure not being straight.  Don't want to create any controversy here so I'll own up that it wasn't incredibly precise.

I'm going to grill a small piece today and smoke the rest on my BBQ afterwards.  I'd have had some last night, but I already had a defrosted halibut fillet in the fridge that needed to be fried up first.  

I also love the shotgun approach to photos, but the battery on my camera is dead after 2 years of use and I havn't gotten around to a new one yet.  I was reasured that someone was shooting everything and they're more than I could have reasonably hoped for.  Thanks all, you earned your fish!   :smt006
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
AWESOME!!!!

Congrats PS.  Great story and picts.  Gotta do something with that group photo.  That picture says it all.

Can't believe you guys went out in that weather.  It was looking UGLY from the living room.

Stuart

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
JOSH,

Way to wield that nine foot 2 handed sword of yours! I thought it was an aerial antennae for your radio.

Wish I coulda fished closer to you guys, but my anchor wouldn't hold and the water was rippin. So the next best thing was to tie off on one of the duck blinds.

Let's do this again soon.

btw - Thanks for the sturgeon meat
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Congratulations to Josh! And thank for you sharing your trophy catch with the rest of us (Sturgeon over rice is good stuff)! Once again, Sturgeon master Erik took us to the fish again - guiding us to the "proven" productive sturgeon fishing hole! Had a blast despite catching nothing - but seeing Josh land a big one just made it a great day for everyone! Can't wait for another trip!

pierre

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
OUTSTANDING!!!!   great report and awesome photos.  i really like how you guys split up the catch. real classy.  

pierre

you guys are making me crazy that i haven't been on the water in soo long. just way too many distractions.  if anyone is going to the Fred Hall Show on saturday, stop by the Coastside Booth and say hi.

anything