Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Alviso 2/5  (Read 8477 times)

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I've heard the opposite - that the fish pulling the kayak helps alot.  Guys down south fishing t-sharks and baja stuff say that if you've got good 20lb line or better, it'd impossible for a fish to spool ya, it's just a matter of time until they get tired.

OTOH you could just leave the anchor in and you'll be as stationary as any PB.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I've heard the same thing about the kayak being an aid in helping tire out big fish.  Imagine yourself trying to swim away with kayak tethered to your lip.  That's why I'm comfortable with just using 20 lb spectra on either spinning or baitcasting setups.  Knock-on-wood, but since I've been kayak fishing, I've never been broken off by a fish.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Nice report & pics - looks like Alviso will be the spot for the next sturgeon trip = I'll be there!

Thanks to the crew for scouting the area!  :smt023

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Hmmm ... not sure I agree with the fish pulling the kayak being good.  Drags exist on the reels so you can control the exact amount of tension.  Imagine fishing from shore with 7# of drag, and every now and then you reel mysteriouly drops to 5.

And I don't think staying on the anchor solves anything as there are times you do want to chase the fish.  This particular fish had 100 yards of line out before we dropped the anchor.  Now 100 yards doesn't seem like that much, but this fish was downcurrent in a very strong current and I doubt pulling it back up that current would have been too feasible.

My general point here is that I didn't feel that I had very much control over the fish, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to gain more control.   Next time I'm going to pay more attention to boat position to get more leverare that way.   Most of this fight was spent between 4 and 8 oclock off the stern with the rod stright in line with the fish.   In that position, the fish and the boat were taking the path of least resistance.

-Allen

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Quote from: polepole

My general point here is that I didn't feel that I had very much control over the fish, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to gain more control.  

Allen... great to see you got hooked up... that sounded like a blast and it looks like you guys found a pretty nice spot.  

No matter what you do, you won't have very much "control" over a large strugeon from a kayak.  IMO, tossing the anchor on a big dino is the best way to fight them... or rather stay with them until they tire.  There's nothing you can do to hurry the process along... you just have to keep the line tight and stay with them until they tire.  On a big fish, that could be a while... and at some point they will seem tired but will spring to life just when you think you can land them.  That's the name of the game.  

The main difference here versus the T-shark guys down south, is that we're in such shallow water.   There's nowhere to go but sideways. The erratic side to side runs and occasional runs toward the boat are part of the deal in shallow water.  Sure is fun... best of luck to you next time.  

Also, remember their lips are like leather... you can really lay into them on the hookset and if you get it in there good, it's very unlikely they'll come unbuttoned.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Others might disagree but here's my opinion on the matter.  Let the fish run and just enjoy it.  Only two things should happen during a fight, you reeling it in or it taking line.  Other than that you're opening the door for it to get away.  When its pulling line and you're pulling back you're more likely to tear a hole in the lip, break the line or foul the hookset.  Controling the fish is done by the rod. When you feel it coming to the end of a longer run lift the tip and reel to turn its head your direction.  If your in a stale mate and its not making a run and you can't reel then lift and reel down.   Let your drag and the yak tire it out, it can't tow you forever.  
I did learn alot about fighting fish from using lighter lines on bass and stripers.  More coaxing than muscle but its pretty effective.  Of course there are situations where you gotta button down and get line back but for the most part it works.  Then again I've never fished for albacore or used anything over 20 lb test so it may be way different.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Catch some bat rays this spring.  They're thick around berkeley, emeryville, ect, and they fight harder than sturgeon of the same size.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

polepole

• Administrator
Guys, just so you know, I'm not new to large fish.  There's been 3 other times I can remember NOT having control over a fish.  Those are interesting stories themselves, best left to telling over a beer.  All 3 of those fish were much larger than this sturgy.

As much as I don't really like Tred Barta, see what he has to say in the current edition of BGF Journal about  boat position and angle when fighting big fish ... http://www.biggamefishingjournal.com/pages/tredvstuna.html.   Love him or hate him ... he does have some good insights.  Sorry, the complete article is not available online, but you get the picture from the intro.

Anyway, as Elric puts it, kayak fishing presents some particular "challenges".  I know I can do better next time, and if the hook still pulls, well, that fish deserves my respect.

Prom ... I would like to try for the mud marlin in the spring.  Sounds like fun.

-Allen

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Allen,

The Mud Marlin or Mud Tuna (same fish-Batrays) are out by San Mateo Bridge right now.  They seemed to like squid the last few times I have been out there.

Just go on the north side of the bridge and in 15 to 30 ft of water.  We usually fish about 300 yrds away from the bridge.

Ken

Nufo

Here are a couple quick tips for the monsters you will encounter in the southbay sloughs.. My first sturgeon was a seven footer down in one of the only shore (actually pier) spots in the sloughs.

Tip 1.) Set the hook on every little tap you feel no matter how light it is. I have caught sturgeon just setting the hook on a bait check and every sturgeon that I have caught down there has been a very subtle tap that felt like maybe a piece of grass floated by and hit my line.

Tip 2.) Fish the incoming tide (easier to fight the fish) You may be best heading out on the outgo and coming back towards the top of the incoming. I have found certain tides I like to fish down there and wont waste time if the tides not ideal.

Tip 3) When hooked into a monster be patient. Let it run till stops, reel it in and repeat. My seven footer took 45 minutes on 15lb line. He made about five 100yard runs and about 10 more 50 yard runs before he was done.

Tip 4.) Use nothing but the sharpest hooks you can get your hands on and set the hook hard. (if you use spectra you  dont need to set as hard and have a better feel of driving the hook home).

You guys are onto a good spot and there are many more good spots around that area.

Good Luck
Nufo

Nufo

also fishing the low tide means that the water narrows and if the fish pass they will be more likely to pass (and hopefully eat) your bait.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Nufo... right on!.... and thanks for the tips!

It all makes perfect sense now.  I also thought that paddling out on the outgoing and fishing the incoming was the way to go, but then again, I haven't been there yet.  I hope try Alviso soon.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

polepole

• Administrator
Quote from: Nufo
I have found certain tides I like to fish down there and wont waste time if the tides not ideal.
Nufo

Cool deal Nufo!  Thanks for the tips.

Can you shed some more light on what you are looking for in a tide.  Do you like to see a particular swing?  Time of day?  Enquiring minds want to know.

When do you want to hit it with this kayak crew?

-Allen

Nufo

Polepole,

I am still working on getting a yak. Looking at getting the Tarpon 14. As for the tides the towers will be different from the spot I fish and there will be various reasons why at each spot. For my spot at Moffet I like a moderate tide and hook up most right smack in the middle of the incoming. I have had about 4 or 5 trips where I had the tide dialed and hooked up within the first ten minutes.  

I think you can do well in the sloughts on a yak if you paddle out at the beginning of the outgoing and fish till the top of the incoming. Buy at least a pound of grass shrimp per person and swing for the fences at the slightest hint of a hit. I dont usually fish anything but grass down there as I have alot of confidence in it. The other shrimps will work too and herring I would only use as a back up if you cannot get shrimp.

One last thing is that I have released every sturgeon that I have caught down there. I have friends who have kept them and they didnt taste good at all. Most of these fish are resident fish who live down there year round and I think some how that has an affect on their taste.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
According to the tide chart here http://www.tides.info/?command=view&location=Coyote+Creek%2C+Alviso+Slough%2C+San+Francisco+Bay%2C+California

It does not look like a good tide attern for this weekend.

anything