Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WTB Kayak Rack Supplies and Need Help From Experienced Travelers  (Read 1220 times)

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I just attached a front bumper hitch receiver on my truck today so I can attach a goal post to the front of my truck when I pull my fifth wheel.  I am going to buy a new kayak in a couple weeks and its going to be heavier than my current kayak.  Currently I just remove part of my fifth wheel hitch and slide the kayak in the center of it with some padding and let the kayak hang out the back of my truck.  I want to carry a kayak or two on the roof of my Chevy 2500 when I travel without my fifth wheel, but want to slide it forward and onto the goal post when I do travel with my fifth wheel. 

There are so many options out there and my brain is now fried trying to research it all.  I am most likely going to get a 2015 Outback and it seems to be at the top of the weight rating for some of the racks and bars out there. 

I am looking to see what others suggest as the best method.  Do others use the add on cradles or just add padding to the roof or goal post and just tie it down with straps.  Is the goal post from Thule going to be strong enough or should I consider a different brand. 

I am preparing myself for the possibility that I will need to purchase new equipment but please let me know if any of you have equipment I can buy at a bargain so I can put more money into setting up my new kayak with accessories.   
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I use a Thule Goal post with one set of Shark Saddles and one Thule Saddles.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile

I use a Thule Goal post with one set of Shark Saddles and one Thule Saddles.

Which one of those did you put on the goal post and which one on the truck?  Do you only have one bar on the roof of the truck?  Can you load a kayak by yourself?  Just curious if you load from the side or step it into bed of truck and onto the roof and then slide to goal post. 
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I use a Yakima bar on my cab and a Yakima goal post for the hitch. You should be fine using padding (pool noodles) on the bars and then directly strapping the Outback upside down.  It feels more stable than using cradles (plus fewer things to fail). 

Thats how I transport most of my kayaks. However, I use the Mako cradles for my AI because it's easier to secure all the extra AI stuff when the AI is upright. It's an extra 5 minutes to mount the cradles on the bars since I don't leave them attached all the time.

I have a generic T-bar hitch mount if ya want for cheap. It'll get the job done, but ya can't attach cradles to it. It's entirely 2" square bar.

I solved my solo loading hassles with the Yakima Boat Loader bar. It's basically an extension bar that can be pulled out of the Yakima bar. You load one end of the kayak up on it so it's tilted. Then load the other end. Very simple and effective.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:56:34 AM by eelkram »
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile

I use a Yakima bar on my cab and a Yakima goal post for the hitch. You should be fine using padding (pool noodles) on the bars and then directly strapping the Outback upside down.  It feels more stable than using cradles (plus fewer things to fail). 

Thats how I transport most of my kayaks. However, I use the Mako cradles for my AI because it's easier to secure all the extra AI stuff when the AI is upright. It's an extra 5 minutes to mount the cradles on the bars since I don't leave them attached all the time.

I have a generic T-bar hitch mount if ya want for cheap. It'll get the job done, but ya can't attach cradles to it. It's entirely 2" square bar.

I solved my solo loading hassles with the Yakima Boat Loader bar. It's basically an extension bar that can be pulled out of the Yakima bar. You load one end of the kayak up on it so it's tilted. Then load the other end. Very simple and effective.

I am looking into the load bar or hullavator options.  I am guessing loading onto roof will happen more often than using the goal post but want to be flexible.  The generic goal post is it adjustable or fixed height. 
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Here are a few pics. Next time I will focus on the racks/yaks and not just a general pic. This is how I will arrive at Albion, which I can't wait for!!!!
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile

This is how I will arrive at Albion, which I can't wait for!!!!

That's what I am trying to put together.  Thanks for the pictures. 
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile