Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:47:21 PM]

[Today at 11:34:08 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Clear Lake: Early Report  (Read 13243 times)

Ross

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
My son Cameron (soon to be Striper Sniper when Mooch helps with his account problem) hit CL for Friday and Sat. We couldn't stay for Sunday because of scheduled baseball practices.

On Thursday we finally got on the road at 9 PM. By 10:30 or so we were in Hopland and cut over onto 175. We found a niced pullout on 175 with a little waterfall and popped our camper top for the night. At 7AM we finished our drive to the lake and, after coffee and breakfast, we got a heathy batch of minnows at CL Outdoors and found the park.

It was cold and clear with no wind. We unloaded and were ready to launch when I spotted Fishhunter's yak through the trees. We hooked up with Adam and Mooch and after a bit of chatting we got on the water.

Fishing with artificials wasn't working for us, so we let the minnows loose. That was the theme for our two days, minnows did the trick, while anglers more skilled than us seemed able to entice the bite on lures. The day warmed up and we were almost hot in tee shirts.

We enjoyed a great dinner with a gang of NCKAers. I won't name names because I don't want to forget anyone, but everyone was gracious and made us feel very welcome. We appreciated that so much! OK one name  - a special shout out to Sarah for the awsome chili!

Ross

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Saturday brought wind and cooler temps. It was sprinkly, but not bad at all really. 'Coons made an overnight  run at our minnows, but didn't score. We launched late morning into the creek behind the campground and fished on and off through the day. Cameron had great luck and the NCKAers we're cheering him on and walked him through boating his first bass while I was off snoozing down the creek. FH has some pics that he'll probably add for us.

Mooch let Cameron try the paddle board. He took off on it right away, and it will be a awhile before the pleas for a new toy stop. Mooch says, "Hey kid, your Dad says he'll buy you one if you get good grades." Thanks Mooch :smt013.

Overall, a great two days. Thanks you guys!     

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the early fishing report at Clear Lake FW.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I arrived at CL Friday afternoon and couldn't wait to get on the water. It was a nice warm day! I met some of the boys, shot the breeze with them a bit, then went off on my own. I managed one fish on a senko. It was to be my only fish of the trip.
Saturday, same boys, fished in a channel, minnows worked well there.
In the pic, one of the boys with one of his many fish. This guy hooked them 2 at a time.
Notice the unruly bankies. The loud one mentioned going to Alaska...
Hor... ses!
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Sounded like a fun trip.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Knuckledraggers!

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I'll write a little more later but I just want to Thank Eric and all The Sponsers for putting on such a Great Event he puts a lotta work into these. I will make as many as I can.
First cast I caught this fish and lead all day untill the last guy a Legend beat me by .4"  I still came home with a ton of  great stuff thanks again Eric
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Whats all that fuzz on your kayak Mike? Did you shoot some geese too? :smt006 Nice fish. I heard it was a bit rough on  :smt003the lake today.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Another great NCKA hook-up! Thanks to Eric for getting us together!

some random pics....

Javier (a HMB Kayak Fishing Derby champ) nailed 3 of these monsters sight fishing from the bank!! He was using  bait....but I don't remember what it was  :smt002 Javier.....care to share??  :smt002
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:23:11 AM by Mooch »

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
more of boys gone wild....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:50:23 PM by Mooch »

HobieBlue

• Salmon
  • Catch, photo, and release.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Glad to hear everyone weathered the strom and had a great time.  Nice looking bass and crappie...

HB

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
First of all thanks Eric for putting another great event, and Ben (bassmanben) for letting me used you adventure, Unfortunately I only put 1 hr on the water, since its freakin cold, its hard to tolerate if you grew in tropical weather.. on the other hand Jedmo and Kim thanks for sharing your food the White Sinigang was awesome.. Hojoman good to see you again thanks for the offer bout your trident... My family was stoked about our group nevertheless they are talking about us all the way they actually tought we know each other for along they were shocked when I told them that the 1st time I fished with Jed they were like WHAAATTT ... thanks everyone who took part in making this event as awesome as possible the best new GOT MY NEW YAK wohooooo.....
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Well... here's my story of how the weekend went. We took our time getting up to CL on Friday. Got there in the evening, set up and hung out. That was probably the best part of the weekend. At about 3:30am... I woke up to the noise of raccoon vs. otter UFC style over my minnow bucket. Unfortunately for me... my bucket came up on the short end of the stick. There goes 3dz jumbos... DAMN!!! Oh well... I couldn't go back to sleep and I think I woke up Chris. So, I pulled on some board shorts and we hit the water at about 4:30ish. It was chilly and dark out. We fished but didn't get much until light. I managed a couple of sluggish but healthy bass. About 7:30am... I look over to Chris to see him on shore doing jumping jacks, leg bends and push ups... I guess he didn't get enough of that stuff in PE class. We called it and headed back for some breakfast.

After breakfast, I gathered the boys up and headed back to the baitshop for more soldiers. Picked up 2 dz more and headed out. It was cold and windy. We hid out in the creek for a bit and managed a couple of fish. It got snotty out there so we headed in. Back at camp... we socialized and cooked it up. YUM!!!. It was all good. Then, after dinner... with all of us hanging out... a brave, sly raccoon came in and helped himself to the rest of the soldiers. DAMN!!! That's like 5dz troops... gone. This was an expensive weekend bait-wise. Then... the rains came. Luckily, Melissa put up an ez up that we got last year but have never used. And that saved us. We were able to stay dry for the most part.

We all turned in and the rain turned on. It poured and it was cold... really cold. Even by my standards. In the morning... I was thinking about just staying in and staying warm. But, my stupid self got the best of me and I made my way out. I lasted until about 10:30ish before I got cold. Walking back to camp, a gust of wind got me and I pretty much went from cold to frozen in .01 seconds. I was having a hard time just walking the last 100 yards back to camp. A nice warm shower hit the spot though... but I got soaked again breaking down the camp and loading up. I had to drive the whole way home wet to my underwear. That sucked. Actually, the whole weekend was one bummer after another but in the end... it's all good. It sucked having to live through it but at least, I wasn't alone. Lots of good friends, good food and good laughs. Not a bad weekend I guess... looking back on it from a warm, cozy chair in front of my computer.

Big thanks to Eric for getting this together and the sponsors for their donations. I can't wait to do this again... hopefully, under blue, sunny skies...

Freddie

bwodun

could not believe my eyes today when i floated up on you and i saw the board shorts, now i know why they call you savage, cameron

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Freddie,
You know what they say about feeding the wild animals.  :smt044
easy-ups=life savers in the rain.
<=>