Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sleeper Waves at Sea Ranch  (Read 2238 times)

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Put in at the boat  launch at Sea Ranch in relatively good conditions 3-5' with my brother.  My brother was outside of what I now call the "Death Zone" when I encountered an  8' swell forming ready to break,  I face it straight on and ride over it just before it breaks.  Closely following behind the 8' is and 11" swell and once again it is forming up to break and once again I ride over it just before it breaks.  Now after the 11'  I look up and see what looks like the Empire State Building  (14') getting ready to crumble down on me.  I make it up about halfway when I realized I wasn't going to make it.  I lay as flat on my board as I can hoping to have it just wash over me, I last about a second when my seat fails and I shoot straight off the back of my board.  I went one way and according to my brother my kayak went shooting straight out the water like a rocket.  Now I am in the water and as I struggle to get my kayak I have 3 more big waves break on me.  After that the ocean was calmer and I decided to thank the lord and call it a day.

SRJ

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Holy Crap! Shit like that can mess you up in short order. Super stoked that nothing more than a scare happened. Those moments stick around for awhile don't they. Dove yesterday a bit to the north of you and noticed that every few minutes or so a hefty set would come through. We were aware of the sets getting larger as we dove and knew the swim back in would be.........Interesting. When the vis got worse, we made the swim in with our dive boards(boogie board). Zack and I immediately ducked a nice wave(nothing compared to the size of waves you encountered)and another appeared right behind. Ducked again and I got sucked over the falls and got plowed, float line ripped out of the board and I nearly lost it. Got hit on the head by a couple more decent waves and laughed as we drug ourselves up onto the sand. Thank the lord the exit was sand. Glad you are ok, brother,

Shannon

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Y-i-k-e-s.
happy that you made it out OK. The flying yak must have been a sight to see.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Glad you are ok. What cove did you launch out of? I have been looking at launching out of Sea Ranch and liked Pebble Beach cove the best. Hope you didn't lost too much gear but then again Christmas is coming...
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Glad you are ok. What cove did you launch out of? I have been looking at launching out of Sea Ranch and liked Pebble Beach cove the best. Hope you didn't lost too much gear but then again Christmas is coming...
The place we launched from was Shell Beach and it has a place where you can beach launch small inflatibles pbs.  I have launched from there hundreds of times.  I estimate that dump cost me over $500 in gear, with a broken seat, paddle, etc. 

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
YIKES!
Sure am glad you're OK, sounds like a warm cup of coffee was well deserved after that  :smt002
and similar conditions for SRJ, man you guys are working it!!, but could you avoid get all broken and chewed for some time on the water, it makes me cringe.....  (like I can talk :smt004 )

my first solo launch in the ocean cost a few hundred bucks too :smt011 sucks so bad :smt011

I really hate the sleepers when you get them, sometimes 10 or 20 min between sets....
I wonder what the aspect of these two separate beaches is? well, aspect and bathymetry, but...Since I dont know much about oceanic wave theory, and kinda hate getting washed like that, I wonder if someone here could shed a little light on how to avoid encountering this kind of swell?  Longer pre-launch observation perhaps? some swell-info i dont know about??

jim
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I was blown off my malotte at Stillwater north in the 70's by a sleeper. It was just one so Im grateful. Anymore and it would have destroyed my board. Glad to hear that you are Ok. Bigtime. How long did you watch the water before going in? Sometimes theres a BIG set every 5-10 minutes. Must have been fucking scary. PM me when you are going again. I would like to go with you guys.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I was blown off my malotte at Stillwater north in the 70's by a sleeper. It was just one so Im grateful. Anymore and it would have destroyed my board. Glad to hear that you are Ok. Bigtime. How long did you watch the water before going in? Sometimes theres a BIG set every 5-10 minutes. Must have been fucking scary. PM me when you are going again. I would like to go with you guys.
We watched the water for a good half hour before we went in and it looked like it always does, and that is easy.  I was out about a 150 yards from the beach when I got hit.  I have never seen it break that far out.  GDenerally at the worst it breaks about 50 yards out between 2 rock you have to paddle through.

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Y-i-k-e-s.
happy that you made it out OK. The flying yak must have been a sight to see.
When my brother seen the yak flying his first thought was that he would be dragging a body out of the water. 

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hi Yakers:

You have it correct about more on the Beach observation.
A common slogan in Mendo. "Don't turn your Back on the Ocean"
            Most of the Norcal Beaches are NAR-NAR with Huge Shore Break
and Fast Dropoffs .
                                                     Regards
                                                     Ernie

FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for sharing your experience Jacks.  Glad you're OK.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."