Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: CDFW Arrests Four Suspects for Commercial Sale of Sport Harvest Abalone  (Read 1234 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It's come to this - we are now subject to reading about multiple occurrence offenders who obviously have not been given a strong enough punishment in the first or second place...

Along with the increased restriction for legal sport harvest, the powers that be should have been making the penalties for abuse of the resource MUCH more extreme - ESPECIALLY for multiple occurrence offenders!

:smt009
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
We fish for the sport, excitement and of course, for the love of just fishing.
These people dont respect or care about any that. I dont care what they do with them. Stone them!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Realistically, what would be appropriate punishment?

Public stoning seems a tad excessive.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Perhaps 30 days of free diving for abs off the Farralones
Charles

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Realistically, what would be appropriate punishment?

Public stoning seems a tad excessive.
I don't know if it's excessive or not.  Probably not a legal punishment in this country though.  If people repeat crimes when given the normal punishment then it obviously isn't having the desired effect.
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I think for minor infractions such as forgetting to fill out a card, whatever they do now is fine (something like $1500 plus license revocation), but for commercial poaching operations, how about $10,000 per abalone or something in that ballpark? Ruin them financially. Confiscate all their gear, and any boats, cars, or buildings used in the transport or storage of the abalone.

Why our legal system can't slap poachers with debilitating fines and punishments is a mystery to me.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Obviously, whatever the current punishment is doesn't phase them. They have been caught multiple times..thats just caught! How many times have they not been caught? Is the black marker really worth the risk vs reward. With the current system in place, apparently it is...

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

Why our legal system can't slap poachers with debilitating fines and punishments is a mystery to me.

THIS !!

If you sell drugs, they can impound your car and take your home if you sold drugs from the premises... so why not the same here ??
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September..I dragged it out to make a point.
WHY SO FREAKING LONG????
If you harvest for sale MINIMUM fine per person should be $25K and forfeiture of ALL gear plus mandatory 2 yrs in prison.
Second time around, 10 yrs mandatory sentence plus fines.
There is zero deterrent when the profit margins can be so high.
I'm sure they only harvested during legal hours and legal season and all were of legal size too....NOT!!!!!!!
Zero respect for the resource, for all of those who fish legally, and just plain society in general.
EFF THEM!!!!!!!
Lock them up and throw away the key. Have to start sending a message somewhere....start now!

<=>

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September..I dragged it out to make a point.
WHY SO FREAKING LONG????
If you harvest for sale MINIMUM fine per person should be $25K and forfeiture of ALL gear plus mandatory 2 yrs in prison.
Second time around, 10 yrs mandatory sentence plus fines.
There is zero deterrent when the profit margins can be so high.
I'm sure they only harvested during legal hours and legal season and all were of legal size too....NOT!!!!!!!
Zero respect for the resource, for all of those who fish legally, and just plain society in general.
EFF THEM!!!!!!!
Lock them up and throw away the key. Have to start sending a message somewhere....start now!

Bingo!  Sounds about right to me.  I thought that this was the penalty already anyway.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Obviously, CDFG will be tightening the screws in order to catch the "big fish" who do the buying of the poached wildlife.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Before checking out the name I guess it would have been a Vietnamese or Chinese person that was caught poaching.
Man that sucks that I am Right. So embarrassing for my people. Gesus man...
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Before checking out the name I guess it would have been a Vietnamese or Chinese person that was caught poaching.
Man that sucks that I am Right. So embarrassing for my people. Gesus man...

Yes, but I've also come across articles in which the perpetrators had Slavic last names... but yeah, it's mostly us asians  :smt013
But for every bad apple, I guess there are good examples... like ______________ (fill in your favorite asian diver).
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
It's not a fair system by any chance,I've seen guys get 1500$ fines cause they filled out the detachable portion of the punch card but forgot to fill in the top,I've also seen guys get the same fine for not having a fishing license .in my book the individual who was harvesting without a license should've gotten a way steeper fine.

It almost seems to me as long as the courts are getting some kind of money coming in they didn't care.i can almost guarantee that these individuals will get like a 5k fine and maybe 30 days which will go to a work defers program
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it