Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Thresher 155 review  (Read 8010 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Lookin good Bob! I would definitely look into the boat loader extension bar or the stinger thing that goes on back. If you're looking for something to prevent damage to the hood while loading, look for cheap yoga mats at the dollar store or target etc.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Slick new boat, loading these longer yaks on smaller type cars can be difficult. I use the rear spoiler on my WRX to sorta stage the boat to go onto the Yakima rollers and then roll it on, not perfect but it works. Perhaps getting one of those trailer hitch mounted rack things might be better?
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Bob, you can try my suction cup roller next time.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Hey guys thanks for the compliments and tips.

I think i will try to load it the way i did. I have a mat that i will be using to rest part of it on the hood when loading. Like cen coast said. If it doesn't work out well ill have to try out some other load assists that you all suggested. Eelkram suggested the yakima showboat that i really like but thats 200bucks i dont have to spend right now.  Thanks sebast, next time we go out ill be sure to try out your suction cups. Perhaps they might work for the front windshield. I dont see it working for the rear since the rear bar is far up, and the spoiler on my hatch would be on the way.

Should i put a flag on the rear of the car when i transport? It hangs off about 2ft. And i believe that if anything is 30" beyond, a flag or something red/orange should be displayed. My boat is red already, should i be exempt?

As far as rigging. I do like the idea of having flushmounts. Stronger, and stiffer. Im going to install 1 on each side first. Who makes the best flushmounts?  I think ill have to use rivets or some sort of fishing method as that area is out of reach of any large openings.

Im still deciding on ff. Spoke with bill (fishingforthecure) and he was going to work on a flexpod installing a chirp transducer. I heard it is a very tight fit.  Will wait on updates.  And i very well also like the idea of mounting the ff unit on the geartrack via 1" screwball. Instead of the flexpod os.

Fishingaddict: the side handles are molded on the inside. I wouldnt use it to lift up any higher than my waist. So yea the loading method i used to use wont work on this boat even if it was lighter.

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
Also. I plan on taking her out on saturday for her maiden voyage. Where is everyone going? The plan was to hit the crab opener, but from seeing threads about crabs not safe to eat, or opener delaying, might throw that plan out the window.  Plus i dont want my first paddle to be with crab pots.  Id like to hookup with somone in familiar waters since i will be without a ff.
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Look at the tread I put on... I riveted mine on with the provided bracket right on bottom of the flex pod. Seal with automotive silicone. Drill hole for wiring on front lower portion of box (indented for this purpose) then seal hole with RTV sealer... Drill hole in top for wiring to pass out to your fishfinder. This box is NOT sealed at lid. I use a plactic bag on front edge to cover/seal forward edge to keep splash out. Seems to work great... Get out there!  :smt003
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS

So, heres the review:

After taking her on the water for her maiden voyage to sws on saturday, i am very impressed.

Loaded and unloaded the way i had expected. Worked out fine, but the boat itself is heavy regardless. Carrying it with gear even with help can be tough.

Paddling it was great. Compared to my 12ft pescardor, this thing is a bit faster, but it takes longer to get up to speed. Paddling into the wind is much better, and it ate those wind waves like nothing.  Conditions saturday was too nice to test its true potential.  Stability is great. Seat position sits a bit higher than my previous, thus requiring a longer paddle, which i did get. Felt very appropriate.  One thing i did not like was that for some reason while im paddling west, wind was blowing from the south and i kept having to correct my direction because my nose kept going left. Leaving me to think, the stern has more wind drag (i dont see how) or my position on the boat is further back from dead center.  Its not too much of a big deal but, from mt understsnding, a rudder should fix this.  I am still not considering a rudder as it is just, in my opinion, another thing to worry about while otw. I havent tried paddling a similar boat with rudder before btw.

The airpro phase 3 seat i thought was great wheb i sat on it before paddling. It didnt seem right to me while paddling. It has plenty of adjustments, but the thing i don't like about it is when i lean back, it causes the backrest to go down it has this type of mechanism via bungie within the seat itself.  Its a bit annoying when i lean back. It doesn't support my back that well, and for me to leanback and not have it go down, i would have to set the back incline all the way forward, which is not comfortable.  Also the comfortable position for extended sitting, isnt quite while same while paddling. Either something is set up wrong, or im just not used to it yet.  But although i did not feel easy while on it, i did not feel the slight back fatigue i did when using the pescador (it also has a very comfortable seat built in)

Front hatch is a great feature. Used it to store my catch. Access is hard, but when i put my paddle in the paddle rest, can use the paddle shaft as a handle to open and toss the fish in.  Left it unlock the entire time otw for easier access. I would lock it on a launch or landing.

Flexpod OS was not used as i do not have a fish finder installed yet. I will be getting the lowrance elite 4 chirp, and kind of have an idea on how to do the install.  The flexpod will be too far so i will be setting up the ff head unit on the gear track on the hatch cover.

I stored a lot of my gear in the center hatch. I am also ordering the tray for it.  With access into the hull, i can put a lot more tackle, water, food, etc. Will also be getting more safety gear as well including a bilge pump.  Planning on stowing my rods in there when i do some big surf launch and landing.

The 4 big Gear tracks come very handy. I was able to mount a rod holder, my camera, and planning to get a few more things for it, as well as 2 flush mount rod holders for behind the seat.

The rear tank well was too big for me to utilize entirely. As of right now, i just had my gaff, wooden club, game clips.  In the future when (if) crabbing season opens, its be an awesome place to carry my crab traps. It came with 2 nylon strap buckles im sure will be very useful.

One of my favorite features that was never mentioned on any reviews that i have seen, is there are two recessed spots on either side right in front of the seat. This is where rod butts rest, and the rods actually rest on another recessed part on the front hatch (see picture). Going out with 2 rods and only 1 rod holder, this was very useful for me. Most of the time the rods were not even in the rod holder, but rested in these things. Sits very comfortably, even while paddling.  I figured it out after sitting on it at home and kept asking myself what these recessed things are for.  Another thing it might be usefull for could be while fighting fish, the rod butt can rest in it somewhat like a gimbal, got to try it out.

Overall i love this yak. It is absolutely built for the fisherman, without sacificing performance.  Absolutely great for ocean fishing which is about 90% of the fishing i do.  Only drawback is the weight and the seat comfort (pending until i csn figure something out, or maybe im just too picky and expect too much)

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Thanks for the write up.  Want to get mine on the water soon but I'm just out of time to start, or finish, rigging it in time for LRC.  :smt012  I would suspect that a rudder would be helpful.  Didn't look like one was installed/rigged on yours.  I did notice the funny dimples, features throughout the kayak and wondered what some of them were for - such as the rod butt recess you mentioned.  I agree that the pod is a bit too forward for most users & I too will be mounting my head on the track @ the hatch.  The limited time I have sitting int he yak, I think the seat does have a bit to be desired when compared to the modern lawn chair seats - I know, apples vs. oranges.  I think the pod still has a bit to be desired from a design standpoint.  Hopefully something they will address in the future.  On thing I'm rigging is a bungee on the underside of the hatch lid to hold the bilge pump.

Great review!

Bill

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

Front hatch is a great feature. Used it to store my catch. Access is hard, but when i put my paddle in the paddle rest, can use the paddle shaft as a handle to open and toss the fish in.  Left it unlock the entire time otw for easier access. I would lock it on a launch or landing.

Great review!  My concern is the part where you say you leave the hatch unlocked.  I don't have a Tresher, but will the hatch stay closed if you roll?  Is there inherent tension on the hatch to keep it closed?  Can you rig a bungie to maybe assist in keeping it closed if unlatched?  I'm worried that you'll be caught by some unknown force combination that will put you in the water unexpectedly and your hull might take on water.

I unexpectedly rolled in Pacifica earlier this year.  It wasn't eventful but it was a learning lesson to me and woke me up to the issues with my AI (kayak only) in trailing seas.  I got caught by a rear, quartering swell while I was in mid-turn, and it was one of those slow motion lean overs where I said, "Oh Shiiiiiiiiii... caught my breath... iiiiiiiiiiiiiit... dammit, there's no saving this... iiiiiiiiiiit."   I rolled it back over, and popped back onto the kayak without the rods even falling out of their holders.  But... it definitely wasn't a planned event.

Just worried about your safety bro.

'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Bob - You need longer rods to maneuver around your new baby.   :smt002

Never ends buying new toys.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile

Great review!  My concern is the part where you say you leave the hatch unlocked.  I don't have a Tresher, but will the hatch stay closed if you roll?  Is there inherent tension on the hatch to keep it closed?  Can you rig a bungie to maybe assist in keeping it closed if unlatched?  I'm worried that you'll be caught by some unknown force combination that will put you in the water unexpectedly and your hull might take on water.

I unexpectedly rolled in Pacifica earlier this year.  It wasn't eventful but it was a learning lesson to me and woke me up to the issues with my AI (kayak only) in trailing seas.  I got caught by a rear, quartering swell while I was in mid-turn, and it was one of those slow motion lean overs where I said, "Oh Shiiiiiiiiii... caught my breath... iiiiiiiiiiiiiit... dammit, there's no saving this... iiiiiiiiiiit."   I rolled it back over, and popped back onto the kayak without the rods even falling out of their holders.  But... it definitely wasn't a planned event.

Just worried about your safety bro.
The front hatch does not drain/access into the hull.  It is its own scuppers in the front hatch too.

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
Eelkram, fishingforthecure is correct. The front hatch has no access to the hull. It has 2 scupper drains and plugs if i opt to block it off. I would latch it down on a surf launch/landing and if im otw and roll, only thing that happens is the hatch swings open, and i lose my catch, but at that point. Ill have other problems to worry about like trying right the yak and perform self rescue.  I dont plan on storing prized catches in that hatch anyways, i would secure them in my tankwell. For example last saturday when i caught a huge 21" fat cabbie, i was too lazy to climb forward, i would have to toss it into the front hatch, and at about 7lbs it wasnt going to happen, so i secured it via stringer to the rear tankwell.

The front hatch also fits my wheels perfectly when its broken down, but im not sure if they are big enough for this new beast.

Mel: i remember seeing something like that before. I was worried as well since i just bought a trevala 6'6" it goes over o.k. with a little leaning, not too big of a deal.  And it doesnt really have anything for the line to catch on to. The 7ft ones are perfect.

New toys are putting a huge hole in my wallet. And the holidays are coming up, and uncle sam is trying to collect, fml. But oh well you only live once, and this is my passion, and you guys (ncka) are great. I expect to be a lifelong fan and member.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:27:31 PM by Fahrenheit840 »
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
The front hatch does not drain/access into the hull.  It is its own scuppers in the front hatch too.

Ohh cool.  I'll just follow the immortal words of Richard Pryer and, "...have a Coke and a smile and shut the f!@k up."   :smt003
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile

Ohh cool.  I'll just follow the immortal words of Richard Pryer and, "...have a Coke and a smile and shut the f!@k up."   :smt003
Trust me, when I first opened it ... I sure didn't expect it to be a well unto itself.  Most others I've seen it just opens into the hull.  Nice touch IMHO to do it this way.

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

does your feet go under the rod butt? looks kind of scary because your foot might get caught if you flip the kayak. maybe get some rocket launcher type rod holders?