Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 6 years later, Wilderness decides to change the leaky Orbix hatch  (Read 11596 times)

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Even expedition kayakers  with spray skirts and tight hatches keep a sponge in the cockpit. Kayaks are low profile watercraft assaulted by water every paddle stroke. As Rob said, half a gallon for a day is no big deal, kinda the standard in my book.
Charles

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
You also might look at the thresher.  I don't know how it paddles,  but Rob and i took it surfing. After crashing through waves,  multiple rolls etc.  there was very little water in the hull.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Mine stays dry... Paddles well and is Perfect for me...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

When you grow up and want to have an adult conversation, and you are able to speak with logic, reason, and accountability, let me know.

I don't see a lot of logic or reasoning in your posts.  You essentially listed off a multitude of issues that boil down to personal preference and/or expectations and list them as items the company "screwed up". 

Leaky hatch is a personal preference?  So when people go buy a kayak, there are some that want a leaky hatch.  :crazy:

If you dislike the kayak so much I'm sure one of us here would take it off your hands so you can free yourself of the overburdening cupholder that viscously rips guides off rods.......although it's gotta be cheap......it's leaky, the seat is uncomfortable, the headroom below deck is limited and that mean old cupholder issue (I can't believe anyone would ever want a 12 oz beverage while on the water.....the nerve of WS, sheesh).

I'll start the bidding at $100.

It sounds to me you are having a hard time dealing with what I have brought up.  Instead of attacking the character, why not deal with what I said.  AND THEN we can have a reasonable, logically conversation.

--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I love my tarpon, it is a great boat and I have had alot of good times on it. Yeah there had been alttle water in it.SOOOOOO WHAT! Just get a different boat if you have that many things to complain about but all kayaks have their pros and cons. I am sure you will find things you dont love about whatever other brand you may buy in the future! good luck with that and.............. STOP YER WHINING :smt044

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I think maybe you need to shop for a different kayak?

I haven't yet found one that is perfect in all regards though.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

+ 1.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

+ 1.

Sincerely,

Jim

+2  Potto, You need to chill.  :smt004
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

+ 1.

Sincerely,

Jim

+2  Potto, You need to chill.  :smt004

+3  Hobie twist and stow are pretty water tight, but they warp and become a PITA to open and shut. The front hatch on the Hobie Revo is super easy to open and close OTW, but it leaks. Tuperware hatches like those on the old WS and Jackson kayaks are either too loose, and let water in, or too tight and are a PITA to deal with on the water.  OK hatches (the ones I have tried) are easy to deal with but leak.

I too think we are dealing with personal preference here.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:16:10 PM by ATD »
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

When you grow up and want to have an adult conversation, and you are able to speak with logic, reason, and accountability, let me know.

I don't see a lot of logic or reasoning in your posts.  You essentially listed off a multitude of issues that boil down to personal preference and/or expectations and list them as items the company "screwed up". 

Leaky hatch is a personal preference?  So when people go buy a kayak, there are some that want a leaky hatch.  :crazy:

If you dislike the kayak so much I'm sure one of us here would take it off your hands so you can free yourself of the overburdening cupholder that viscously rips guides off rods.......although it's gotta be cheap......it's leaky, the seat is uncomfortable, the headroom below deck is limited and that mean old cupholder issue (I can't believe anyone would ever want a 12 oz beverage while on the water.....the nerve of WS, sheesh).

It sounds to me you are having a hard time dealing with what I have brought up.  Instead of attacking the character, why not deal with what I said.  AND THEN we can have a reasonable, logically conversation.

I believe I've stated my experience with the the Tupperware hatches you determined to be watertight.  You seem to dismiss everyone else's opinion on hatch "user friendliness" as a non-factor (even though enough people complained for them to change the design).  I can't imagine there are many out there asking for them back. 

IMO a hatch that is not easily opened or closed (or blows off in surf) renders the inner hull completely useless when on the water cause I don't feel it's safe f'ing around with them trying to get them on and off.  I have had hatches that simply buckle on from ok and the twist locks from cobra and they weren't 100% waterproof but the system allowed me to enter the hull without issue and I just sponged out any water out at the end of the day.  A cup full isn't gonna kill you or your gear. 

I'd take any other system over crappy Tupperware hatches, if that means they leak a little then so be it.  That's my personal preference. So if I showed up to a shop looking for a new boat and one had Tupperware hatches and the other was "leaky" I sure as ell wouldn't go for Tupperware.

Obviously the company isn't designing hatches to leak but if I have to add a thicker trim piece or seal something better (which I've had to do with most of my yaks) so be it....it's better to have something that's useable.  Just my PREFERENCE.

I also acknowledge that this is a flippin water sport......you're literally sitting in a plastic boat inches above the water, stuff is gonna get wet.  Hell, even when I'm in any one of my boats I still wind up with wet gear and water in the bilge.  It's fishing, it happens, get over it or play golf.

As for the rest......I have not attacked your character at all, sir, although I now question your intelligence.  You started with an inflammatory rant and caught some backlash......it happens.....again, get over it.

$200?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:11:41 PM by ex-kayaker »
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I was bummed when WS came out with the Gaspatchi/Tupperware hatch.
I want to get in and get out. I don't want to have to deal with getting a perfect seal; especially in rough seas.
I greatly dislike the twist and stow hatches too. But I need a Hobie so I just cope.
<=>

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

I believe I've stated my experience with the the Tupperware hatches you determined to be watertight.  You seem to dismiss everyone else's opinion on hatch "user friendliness" as a non-factor (even though enough people complained for them to change the design).  I can't imagine there are many out there asking for them back. 

IMO a hatch that is not easily opened or closed (or blows off in surf) renders the inner hull completely useless when on the water cause I don't feel it's safe f'ing around with them trying to get them on and off.  I have had hatches that simply buckle on from ok and the twist locks from cobra and they weren't 100% waterproof but the system allowed me to enter the hull without issue and I just sponged out any water out at the end of the day.  A cup full isn't gonna kill you or your gear. 

I'd take any other system over crappy Tupperware hatches, if that means they leak a little then so be it.  That's my personal preference. So if I showed up to a shop looking for a new boat and one had Tupperware hatches and the other was "leaky" I sure as ell wouldn't go for Tupperware.

Obviously the company isn't designing hatches to leak but if I have to add a thicker trim piece or seal something better (which I've had to do with most of my yaks) so be it....it's better to have something that's useable.  Just my PREFERENCE.

I also acknowledge that this is a flippin water sport......you're literally sitting in a plastic boat inches above the water, stuff is gonna get wet.  Hell, even when I'm in any one of my boats I still wind up with wet gear and water in the bilge.  It's fishing, it happens, get over it or play golf.

As for the rest......I have not attacked your character at all, sir, although I now question your intelligence.  You started with an inflammatory rant and caught some backlash......it happens.....again, get over it.

$200?
You're going the wrong direction with the price... :smt002  j/k
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:43:32 PM by FishingForTheCure »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Here's how I modified the hatch on my old T140 to make it easier to open & close OTW, using surgical tubing. This way, the forward-most part remains sealed and I only have to reseal the part that's closest to me. But that was like ~8yrs ago.

Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I see it requires a wrench though  :smt002

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I think maybe you need to shop for a different kayak?

It's not all bad.  I'll use the thing and go from there.
People's butt get hurt when I point out the obvious. 

Here is a picture of the new hatches. 
Its in the closed and locked position
On the left is the front of the hatch that will meet the water. Yikes!

I guess I am just a complainer.  Pointing out these flaws is a no no.
--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

anything