Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 12:02:48 PM]

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ditch Your Weight Belt Offer  (Read 32772 times)

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Who needs lead to melt down? Got tons of it

Told you, Jenny Craig is the shizzle!
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

XxJohnxX

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

But what would have ditching your belt accomplished in these two situations?  It sounded like both times you were tangled in kelp.  Did you have a knife?

I agree, I hear stories about divers ditching their belts but I can never figure it out for me. I guess if you're diving really shallow and using a lot of weight you could benefit from the extra buoyancy but on the other hand you wouldn't be as able in the water (to duck dive for instance). I guess the other scenario would be diving past 33'and getting less buoyant. I have heard stories but that is about as deep as I have ever dove.

The only time I ever ditched my belt was on the way in one time the kelp pulled my handy quick-release buckle (which I have never needed to pull on purpose in 16 years of diving) and I lost my belt in a kelp bed in 15' of perfectly calm water and couldn't dive to get it. I tried pulling myself down the kelp but they kept breaking. This was back when I used to wear the old 7/7 step in lol. I paid more for that belt than I did for the wetsuit!

These days I have my weight set where I'm buoyant at the surface on exhale. So dropping the belt on purpose never crosses my mind. And I have streamlined every part of my setup so I haven't snagged on kelp, float line, or anchor lines in years.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

But what would have ditching your belt accomplished in these two situations?  It sounded like both times you were tangled in kelp.  Did you have a knife?

I agree, I hear stories about divers ditching their belts but I can never figure it out for me.

Not everybody is a dive God.  People will come across situations where it's appropriate to ditch a belt, especially newer divers that don't quite posses the comfort level in the water to get themselves out of hairy situations.

This thread is not about second guessing or criticizing people's actions.  It's about pursuing the safest course of action and limiting the financial burden associated with it, thus making it an easier decision. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

XxJohnxX

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

This thread is not about second guessing or criticizing people's actions.  It's about pursuing the safest course of action and limiting the financial burden associated with it, thus making it an easier decision.

Thanks ex-kayaker, I agree exactly with everything except the implication that I an a dive god lol.

I think I rambled a little but my point is: I think the safest course of action which also limits the financial burden of losing your belt is to go much lighter on the weight. In that case the belt is not an item that makes your swim less safe. My diving experience includes my first dive ever. ..

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Even dive Gods can have a bad day.  A lot of people have had close calls.  I had a seal bite my fin and my ankle and could have pulled me under if he wanted to.  Thinking back if I could have dropped weights they would have slid down and hit him on the head.  Can't imagine him holding on after that. 

I started diving with a lot more weight and started removing some as I got better at it and realized the negative buoyancy at depth.  But the two times I almost ditched the belt was not related to carrying to much. 

I mostly shore dive but do kayak dive and boat dive occasionally.  Sometimes I swim long distances.  One time I got slammed with a wave into a rock and my fin came off.  A lot of kicking but I wasn't moving.  It wasn't a panic situation but excessive kicking with no movement would have wore me out sooner or later and being more buoyant I believe would have gave me more time.  Another time I swam out on a surf entry without my board or tube and the waves were coming in quicker than reported and faster and bigger than they looked from shore.  I got a beating and got out and just could not catch my breath and felt sick.  I thought it through and visualized where it was so I would at least be able to come back another day to recover it if I dropped it, but ended up making it back without having to.  That was the only time I went out without something to rest on if something like that happened and won't go out without something in the future.
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005

I agree, I hear stories about divers ditching their belts but I can never figure it out for me.

Not everybody is a dive God.  People will come across situations where it's appropriate to ditch a belt, especially newer divers that don't quite posses the comfort level in the water to get themselves out of hairy situations.

Not sure if that dive god comment was directed at me, but I'll clarify my questioning GrimKeeper's story.  Pursuing the safest course of action starts with a calm but quick assessment of the predicament.  I advocate for newer divers to "when in doubt, dump the belt" but I also think it's equally important for a diver to be familiar with his own gear and access the situation calmly.  In his situation, if I read it correctly, he was tangled in kelp both times and if the kelp was not tangled on his belt, then dumping it wouldn't have freed him and even worse, it could have even given him a false sense of security allowing him to think he was safe. 

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The reference to a dive God wasn't directed at anybody.....however, if anyone on this board is deserving of the title it's obviously trophy ab slayer angle.  :)

I get what you were saying, there are clearly situations in which it won't help and actually make things worse. 

I didn't start the thread to debate the merits of dumping a belt though.....it happens, it's not cheap, unfortunately the cost of lead is a consideration that people take into account when deciding whether or not they should ditch their belt. 

I'm just offering up some spares so that cost is less of a factor. 

If everybody wants, we can ask jim to split the thread and take the discussion to another thread specifically discussing situations where it's appropriate.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The reference to a dive God wasn't directed at anybody.....however, if anyone on this board is deserving of the title it's obviously trophy ab slayer angle.  :)

I get what you were saying, there are clearly situations in which it won't help and actually make things worse. 

I didn't start the thread to debate the merits of dumping a belt though.....it happens, it's not cheap, unfortunately the cost of lead is a consideration that people take into account when deciding whether or not they should ditch their belt. 

I'm just offering up some spares so that cost is less of a factor. 

If everybody wants, we can ask jim to split the thread and take the discussion to another thread specifically discussing situations where it's appropriate.

I understand your offer of lead.  It's very generous.  I also have a few weights I could offer up as well. 

My daughter started diving and likes it, so I've had to rethink safety and how to train her on safety. 

Of course Angle is a dive god, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once, so I'm pretty sure I'm at least a demigod. 

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Angle said you're under performance review to maintain demigod status.  Said he's willing to overlook all the gut shot perch but diving less often than ex-kayaker is a rather felonious offense. 

If you want any of those 1lb weights for your daughter, I have a few laying around also. 

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Pursuing the safest course of action starts with a calm but quick assessment of the predicament.  I advocate for newer divers to "when in doubt, dump the belt" but I also think it's equally important for a diver to be familiar with his own gear and access the situation calmly.

In agreement with Nate on this one.

I was speaking to a newb diver this past weekend and he told me that he almost always contemplates dumping his belt  :smt009 That's telling me he is not comfortable diving.

There is definitely a time to do it but it shouldn't be your only out.

Looking forward to a post worthy of your weights.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

In agreement with Nate on this one.

I'm in agreement with this guy VVV.....he's smart........and handsome :)

take the discussion to another thread specifically discussing situations where it's appropriate.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Since we're on the subject of dumping weights, I thought about my safety habits and came up with one that often utilized (when I still dove). 

In SoCal or Mex, I'd sometimes make deeper and longer drops most often to free a fish.  On the way up I would unbuckle my belt and hold onto either end in each hand all the way to the surface.  On the surface I'd do my recovery breaths and once I felt comfortable , I'd just reinsert the belt. 

The reasoning was that while coming up, if I black out, my hands would release the belt.  I've never had to prove this theory and in recent years I haven't been on dives that required that kind of precaution. 

Nate

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:37:25 PM by spinal tap »

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Angle said you're under performance review to maintain demigod status.  Said he's willing to overlook all the gut shot perch but diving less often than ex-kayaker is a rather felonious offense. 

If you want any of those 1lb weights for your daughter, I have a few laying around also.

ex-kayaker may have to change his name.  I saw that he lovingly restored a kayak.

She only needs 6# for now.  I have enough for her, but thanks. 

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

I'm in agreement with this guy VVV.....he's smart........and handsome :)

Not bad for a 45 year old  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Did you see the downward pointing arrows......I was referring to myself   :smt004