Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: [RPT] Santa Cruz 9/2  (Read 1761 times)

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013

I launched from Dock A around 6:30AM, it was still dark and I realized my flag light was out of battery (mental note, check before to leave or keep spare battery in the car).
I headed toward the yellow buoy on the East side of the harbor and hooked up two decent size browns.  Found my way pass the mile buoy for nothing. Then I found baits and decided to fish on a fringe and got lucky. I got my first halibut out of Santa Cruz, just North of the mile buoy as I started to go in slowly in about 60' of water. It was 30" and ~ 8.8lbs ;-)

I initially thought it was a ling but then saw it and started to freak a little. I got my net ready but quickly realized I couldn't net it. Wanted to use the gaff but didn't get it ready before, so somehow just pulled it in and blocked it my leg while reaching out to my clip. The clip was on but the hook was off... so not sure how it happened but I secured that fish somehow.

When the adrenaline settled, I saw my net floating and getting away... I tried to get it back but not quickly enough as the handle filled with water and it started to sink. I could have gotten it with a big chance of taking a swim so decided to let it go :-(
It is too bad as I liked it quite a bit but I got it at Mel Cotton which is now closed (gosh I miss that store...). Anyway now I'm on the market for a new one.

@nowhereman, the set up worked like a charm but I think I need to switch to a pedal boat for trolling. The 2019 Outback looks pretty sweet

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

GuihanHunter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
2020 Hobie Compass Camo Edition
Instagram @guihanhunter
YouTube @guihanhunter

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Congratulations, Frenchy! And glad that you were able to land it successfully, if unconventionally...

I was out there today too, but was not feeling too good, so did not get as much fishing in as I'd planned. I only managed 1 short (about 21") butt, but did get a nice verm as a consolation prize. In addition to the verm, I kept a couple other rockfish that didn't look like they'd survive, and one chunky, but modest (22.5") lingcod.

The fish cleaning station was crowded and the wife doesn't like it when I clean fish at home, so I gave the fish to some guys at the dock. Now that it's dinner time, I really miss that verm...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Congratulations, Frenchy! And glad that you were able to land it successfully, if unconventionally...

I was out there today too, but was not feeling too good, so did not get as much fishing in as I'd planned. I only managed 1 short (about 21") butt, but did get a nice verm as a consolation prize. In addition to the verm, I kept a couple other rockfish that didn't look like they'd survive, and one chunky, but modest (22.5") lingcod.

The fish cleaning station was crowded and the wife doesn't like it when I clean fish at home, so I gave the fish to some guys at the dock. Now that it's dinner time, I really miss that verm...

Hope you will feel better soon but at least you had a little water therapy. Didn't hear anyone on the radio and only ran into 4 kayaks around the mile buoy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:07:26 PM by Frenchy »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Hope you will feel better soon but at least you had a little water therapy. Didn't hear anyone on the radio and only ran into 4 kayaks around the mile buoy.

Nothing serious, just the lingering effects of a cold.

I only saw 1 other kayaker, some guy on a Hobie who had an electric motor. It took me a me a while to figure out how he was moving without pedaling and no wind...

Swell and tide-wise, conditions were near perfect, but the bite seemed pretty slow to me, at least compared to Friday. Other boaters at the dock who fished nearby seemed to have had limited luck too.

Anyways, congratulations again. And, be sure to use a gaff next time!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Nice job guys! Thx for the report. 

Timmosazz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

Reel Drag

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Beautiful Vermilion and ugly butt. Great job on both fish. Jealous I couldn’t get out there this weekend.
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Viking Kayak Profish Reload.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Frenchy scores! Once again, persistence pays off!  happy for you buddy.

Now I gotta go out and get one.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Frenchy scores! Once again, persistence pays off!  happy for you buddy.

Now I gotta go out and get one.

Bushy

Thanks Bushy. Now I need to shave :-)

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Sorry about your net. I took the plastic handle off the end and stuffed a bunch of trimed pool noddle into the handle and put the plastic back on. Net floats.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Definitely going to stuff the pool noodles idea. Thanks!

Super Dave

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I also fished on Monday I'm the one with the electric motor.  But  I have a SC Raptor G2 with a Bixpy Jet motor attached to my rudder.  I love it!!  I was on otw at 6:30 I stopped for live bait(6 sm king fish) and went east to the yellow ball and out to about 80' past the mile bouy and back on the same course.  I trolled out w/flasher and squid thinking to save the live bait for ling cod.  Plenty of action 1 short hali & 1 ling four or five rock cod.  I trolled back with live bait  1 small ling cod 24" (tossed) and a 30" halibut (dinner)!  At about 2:00 the wind came up it was in to the wind from the yellow ball back to the harbor. But with the peddle drive and 1/2 speed on the motor, no problem.  3.5 mph into the wind and swell.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats on the nice Butt.  Thanks for the report and pictures Frenchy.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything