Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:45:37 PM]

[Today at 04:34:12 PM]

[Today at 04:18:51 PM]

[Today at 04:12:33 PM]

[Today at 03:10:47 PM]

[Today at 02:05:51 PM]

[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Great White Shark: Face to Face  (Read 4560 times)

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I spotted a big slow swimming, beautiful Ray in the 2' landing zone -wave, at p.i.f/mbk few hours ago ,I set the bucktail i was fishing ahead and on bottom in front of it and it slowed then went on -right in the wave to the condos...folks looking at it---When im fishing there I've wondered if they eat those -or butts... if 6'-20' ones are in here for them too,or only in here for fur...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:05:45 PM by trianglelaguna »
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

glad to hear you have a loaner one until you can buy your own. I went a year without and was really stoked to get a replacement unit. The sharks in Cap started as 3-5ft fish, a few years later we were seeing 6-7ft fish, now it is 7-8ft with the occasional 10 footer tossed in.
In 2023 we'll be seeing some porkers out among us.

Not very sure about the accuracy of this, Sean.....

Bushy

elaboration?
I get that the area around Cap holds the nursery sized fish, but as they grow they will push out into other areas. While it is just my own musing, is it that unbelievable? I expect to hear of larger fish spotted in the coming years, maybe not right at Capitola, but say Long Marine area, Wilder, and into San Mateo Cty. Not sure why this would even be disputed.
I certainly wouldn't mind if research showed that GWS either move away from Santa Cruz as they reach into the 15ft range, or even if they just stop growing around here! :smt002 :smt006
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

scorpaenichthys

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017

glad to hear you have a loaner one until you can buy your own. I went a year without and was really stoked to get a replacement unit. The sharks in Cap started as 3-5ft fish, a few years later we were seeing 6-7ft fish, now it is 7-8ft with the occasional 10 footer tossed in.

Bushy

elaboration?
I get that the area around Cap holds the nursery sized fish, but as they grow they will push out into other areas. While it is just my own musing, is it that unbelievable? I expect to hear of larger fish spotted in the coming years, maybe not right at Capitola, but say Long Marine area, Wilder, and into San Mateo Cty. Not sure why this would even be disputed.
I certainly wouldn't mind if research showed that GWS either move away from Santa Cruz as they reach into the 15ft range, or even if they just stop growing around here! :smt002 :smt006

When I lived in Monterey I had a buddy who used to tag & track GWS for work. At the time, they were working on a real-time version of the Discovery Channel’s GWS tracking app that came out a few years ago. Not sure anything ever came of it, but it was neat (if a little terrifying) knowing which sharks were prowling my dive sites on any given day.

Anyways, my understanding from talking to him is that we have the full range of GWS sizes around here. The most problematic sightings (read: attacks) tend to happen in the fall, when the nursery population is in and starting to mature into big fukkas. That’s when we get the sharks in the 8-10ft range as they transition from a fish-based diet to a mammal-based diet, and they’re learning how to identify their new prey. That’s when we’re most likely to have run-ins, because that’s when they’re most likely to misidentify us as food. My understanding is that they do grow into monsters around here, we just tend not to have problems with the bigger ones.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:32:09 PM by scorpaenichthys »
A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
we just tend not to have problems with the bigger ones.

"tend" being the important word here :smt005

seriously though, all that info in your post is correct as far as I know.
I do think the sketchiest fish are the "in-betweeners"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:35:03 PM by PISCEAN »
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

http://spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7436

:smt009 No Bueno

Silent Hunter has been zapped so many times by his shark shield he said he's experiencing PTSD from it. :smt005

He also can't wait till I suffer from the same  :smt044 :smt044

Just bit the bullet and purchased another one.

Been Scuba diving 30 years and free diving 10 years without one.

Bought one for my son last fall thinking what kind of dad would I be to allow my son to dive in these waters without one.

So just bought this one thinking what kind of dad would I be to have my son have to watch his dad being attacked unprotected.

I know it's not a guarantee but at least I feel comfort in him having as safe a diving environment as possible.  :smt007
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

Bought one for my son last fall thinking what kind of dad would I be to allow my son to dive in these waters without one.

So just bought this one thinking what kind of dad would I be to have my son have to watch his dad being attacked unprotected.

I know it's not a guarantee but at least I feel comfort in him having as safe a diving environment as possible.  :smt007

I guess no more trying to shock you with mine.  Now you can shock yourself.  It sure wakes you up if you get tired. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Bushy

elaboration?

No dispute.  You know I love you. I'll do some research talk to the 'other' Sean, but my impression is the cement ship gaggle are those adolescents measuring roughly between 6 and 10 feet. I don't think they are the same sharks every year getting bigger and bigger, which your post seemed to suggest.  I sure hope not. 

I DO think we will continue to see an increase in sightings and interactions with adult GWS in the future.  The curve is trending that way.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Welcome to the club.  It was only a matter of time.  Glad you are ok.
Dave

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005

Silent Hunter has been zapped so many times by his shark shield he said he's experiencing PTSD from it. :smt005

How is he getting shocked? 

I had a buddy that was getting zapped as he tucked into a dive because his upper body got close to the tail of the SS. What he did was cut a few short pieces of pvc pipe lengthwise. Make sure the pvc has just a  big enough ID to accommodate the SS tail and the fin rail together.  Slide the tail into the pvc and slide it up the rail to hold SS tail along the fin rail so that it stays out and doesn't get close enough to zap you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:41:05 AM by spinal tap »

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

I had a buddy that was getting zapped as he tucked into a dive because his upper body got close to the tail of the SS. What he did was cut a few short pieces of pvc pipe lengthwise. Make sure the pvc has just a  big enough ID to accommodate the SS tail and the fin rail together.  Slide the tail into the pvc and slide it up the rail to hold SS tail along the fin rail so that it stays out and doesn't get close enough to zap you.

They should call it a shock shield... mine zaps me often. I prefer to do the 2 feet in air dive but have to jack knife when wearing the SS. After a couple hours in the water, I start feeling it in my ankles as well - not bad just noticeable. Anyone else have that?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I've not heard fro PSRF on the topic, but recently learned it's 'common knowledge' down around the cement ship that there is at least on Big Mama sighted sporadically, mingling with the teenagers.  In the 14-16 foot range.  So, there we go.

I saw four or five small ones over the past two weeks, chasing or eating stripers.  One was no more than 10 feet from dry sand.  I was compassionate enough to walk all the way down to a young couple swimming nearby (20 yards) and let them know what thea "little black thing moving on the surface" was attached to.

Bushy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:37:21 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I've not heard fro PSRF on the topic, but recently learned it's 'common knowledge' down around the cement ship that there is at least on Big Mama sighted sporadically, mingling with the teenagers.  In the 14-16 foot range.  So, there we go.

I saw four or five small ones over the past two weeks, chasing or eating stripers.  One was no more than 10 feet from dry sand.  I was compassionate enough to walk all the way down to a young couple swimming nearby (20 yards) and let them know what thea "little black thing moving on the surface" was attached to.

Bushy

Ugh.....

Not making me excited to try diving for stripers again this year Allen!!

:smt005

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
"little black thing moving on the surface" was attached to.

:smt005 hahaha

I've never hunted striper. When is the time of year to do so?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

They should call it a shock shield... mine zaps me often. I prefer to do the 2 feet in air dive but have to jack knife when wearing the SS. After a couple hours in the water, I start feeling it in my ankles as well - not bad just noticeable. Anyone else have that?

When I get zapped it feels like a tiny minion kicking me. Some times it feels like I'm getting jumped by a few of them  :smt044 :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

anything