Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Cast Net Tutorial  (Read 2471 times)

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Yes! A Castnet can be thrown from a yak!

Being desperate for bait leads one to try desperate things, and with that I set out today to make bait with my 6' castnet - from my yak.

Preparation:

1) small net - you won't have the height of standing on a pier, let alone even standing up, so the smaller the net, the easier you'll be able to throw it in a wide circle.

2) kayak deck - keep the front deck of your kayak clear of any obstruction that may catch your net as you throw. That means fish finders, rod holders mounted at the front of the your yak should be removeable. The action calls for a sweeping motion of the castnet across your kayak so it's imperative that this area is clear.

Casting the net:
Instructions for a right handed person, reverse if your left handed.

1) Clear your deck space
Remove your FF or rod holders so that you have room to throw your castnet.

2) Adjust your seating
Straddle you yak for increased stability

3) Secure the cord of the castnet to your wrist by running the main line throught the loop at the end and then sticking your hand in the resulting loop, pull to tighten.

4) Wind the cord properly:
With your net hanging in the water, lift your left hand up and use your right hand and grab about a foot legnth of  rope. Repeat the action hand over hand until you have the cord in a neat bunch in your left hand.

5) Adjust the Net:
When you get to the net guide ring, pull it up so that the net hangs freely. At this point you have the ring in your right hand and the weights hangin freely above the water. This is the time to check the weights to make sure they are not tangled.

6) Fold the Net:
To make the net easier to throw, I take 1/4 the net towards the top and fold it over and hold it between my thumb and fore finger, so that the ring is sitting above your palm, above the net.

7) Prepare to throw:
With your left hand grab a hanging weight and bring it up so you can grab it with your right hand. You may use your remaining three fingers to hold the wieght against the net.

With your left hand, grab another section of weight so that you form a hanging "curtain"

8) Sweeping throw across the bow:
Swing the net back and sweep the net across the bow in a horizontal fashion from right to left, using centrifical force to spread the net. As soon as you feel the weight pull from your right hand, release the weight held in your right hand, shortly followed by the weight in your left hand, followed thereafter by the bunch of rope.

9) As the net drops it will tighten around the bait (hopefully). Pull up on the cord (hand over hand as in step 4 and repeat the process).

10) Release bait into your lap. Put it in your tankwell or bait bucket.

11) Repeat the process

A smaller net has many advantages over larger nets in many areas.
1) Cheaper
2) Stores better
3) Easier to throw (you can throw them in between pilings under piers, and from yaks)
4) Though you won't cover as much area, you'll be able to throw faster with practice.

So don't be afraid to try. Practice from a pier to get the motion. Once you start throwing perfect circles (and you will w/ a smaller net), you'll be able to throw from your yak w/ ease.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool... I notice that AhiUSA makes a 3 foot radius/6 ft diameter net.  That should work fine off the yak.  However, it just worries me a little to have all of that line and netting on board.  I guess I just need to make sure I have my knife on my vest for emergencies.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

anything