Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Anyone know where the duxbury launch is?  (Read 2301 times)

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
There is another launch further west toward duxbury than the bolinas lauch. I think Ken?? mentioned it one time. Anyone have details. It puts you in much closer to dux.

jeff

jnthn

Where the lagoon empties into the ocean is just behind Duxbury Point and I don't think there is a closer launch unless you cart your kayak down the beach there.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=5576&mode=sequential&flags=9&year=2002

Agate beach, which is north of the point, is the only other place I can think of to launch there but I don't think it's better.

basilkies

There is a park on the norh side of the point from the Bolinas Launch site.  It has good access with a paved ramp to the beach to roll your kayak down about 80 yards or so.

THe bad news is, it's a bitch of a launch on days when there is much surf. The low tide exposes a rock shelf that the waves lap over and ten yards out from them are ridgy pinnacles of rock about the same height. They hide  below the surface and waves break there and swells expose them. They are thick so you can't get through them unless you see them and they are mostly under water.

I've launched there on nice days, but wouldn't do it if the surf was the least bit bad.

Go out La Mesa road a few miles and turn right, is the best I can do for directions. I can't remember street names.

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
well thanks for the news. i'll have to look it up. i know that road..infact i want to do some ab diving out there-just north of the reserve around RCA's. maybe there is still another launch. i remember someone saying to turn left at the firehouse. i haven't been up there for a while though. guess i'll just launch from bolinas. thanks

jnthn

pretty sure Agate beach is the only spot with access.

Hwy-1 to Bolinas then follow Olema/Bolinas road to three-way stop and then:

L. Olema/Bolinas road
R Mesa road
L. Overlook drive
R. Elm
L. into Agate beach parking lot 25 feet past Redwood road (bottom of the hill before it curves around to the right.)
Path to the beach/tide pools is on the right.

Let us know how the launch there is.

good luck.

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
thanks for the directions...

basilkies

Quote from: jeffw
well thanks for the news. i'll have to look it up. i know that road..infact i want to do some ab diving out there-just north of the reserve around RCA's. maybe there is still another launch. i remember someone saying to turn left at the firehouse. i haven't been up there for a while though. guess i'll just launch from bolinas. thanks

I tried ab diving out there twice. Nothing near Dux and further north we found darn few where there were rocky areas on shore.

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
interesting...i would have thought that area would be covered????

basilkies

Duxbury reef is more like sandstone or something so you don't get that  rutty cracky type of bottom (I'm talking the shore end of the reef, it could be different out further) so we didn't see any abs in that area.

There were a few, but darn few, north off of a surfer beach, but the picking was sparse, real sparse. Maybe if you get further north into Point Reyes National Park, but you'll need a boat or a horse, because it's a long way from where you park your car to the beach.

Anonymous

yeah that makes sense if its mostly sandstone. thanks for saving me the trouble!

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Quote from: basilkies
Duxbury reef is more like sandstone or something so you don't get that  rutty cracky type of bottom (I'm talking the shore end of the reef, it could be different out further) .

Actually its Shale (North Americas largest shale reef), but that's reasonably close to sandstone - its formed by clays in essentially the same way as sandstone, by successive deposition of layers.