Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Native Slayer Propel 10 - Review  (Read 5476 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
So I've owned this little guy for nearly a year now. 

Pros -
Pedal drive, obviously.  Reverse can really help for positioning.
Weight - 60lbs claimed from factory, carry weight rigged normally for me around 65lbs, significantly lighter than my SP13.
Comfort - the Native First Class seat is about as comfortable as they come, and the primary stability of this kayak is so excellent that when you're fishing you don't even feel like you're in a kayak.
Tracks - rigging is a breeze thanks to the generous amounts of tracks all along the hull, and makes it super clean at the end of the day when i take everything off.
Accessories - Native makes a ton of accessories that fit on the kayak, its larger cousin as well as the seats.  These make it super easy to keep a clean kayak.
Maneuverability - As a relatively short kayak, it turns very well even with its stock rudder, and I have no need for an after market rudder on my SP10.  I can't say the same for the SP13 in this regard.
Stability - as stated above, the SP10 is about as stable as they come, Native's dual pontoon style hull provides extra stability and the kayak is very difficult to flip over, you have to actually try to do it.
Cadence - the Native propel drives allow you an easy, comfortable pedaling cadence all day long. 2.5mph all day without an issue.

Cons -
Cost - obviously, this is a big one, and if everyone had enough money to spend on every toy, this wouldn't be an issue.  But these things don't come cheap, and the accessories don't either.
Speed - the kayak, due to its length and bow design is no speed demon.  I can max a smidge over 4mph, but when you try to get up that fast you won't be able to keep it.  The blunt bow design pushes too much water and will tire you out (see cadence above)
Noise - when pedaling hard, the amount of water being pushed and the pedal drive can make it loud.  Don't pedal fast and its pretty much as quiet as you can be.
Tolerances - the Propel drive kayaks from Native have lots of moving parts, which means things are designed with very tight tolerances.  Items such as the seats (which are mounted on tracks) and pedal drive (mounted in an indentation) are made to fit almost perfectly, but when the kayak gets cold, the plastic tends to contract, and makes the installation of the seat and drive a little more difficult.  I've actually found this to be less of an issue with my SP10 than my SP13, but that could vary from kayak to kayak due to the tight tolerances.
Maintenance - the drives do require maintenance, and there's a cost to buying the proper tools (spanner wrenches, axle pullers) and lubricants. 

Summation:
Overall, I think the Native Slayer Propel 10 is an excellent kayak, even at its price point.  When you compare it with its competitors in similar size and weight range (Hobie Sport, Hobie Outback, other non propulsion kayaks), it really is a great value.  Its quick and maneuverable if its not fast, its a super comfortable and easy to transport ride, and it can straight up fish.  I've used my SP10 in all sorts of conditions, including in the ocean, but prefer it for the purpose of lake and river fishing.  It allows me to get on the water and fish faster than I can in my SP13, and its stability is better than the Hobie Sport.  Being able to stretch your legs, stand up, and having all the integrated track is a huge benefit to someone who fishes 2 hours or 10.  Its personally my favorite kayak right now, and possibly the favorite of all of the kayaks I've owned.  There's a reason I fish out of it the majority of the time, and whenever I'm not in the ocean.  In fact, after its performance at Timber cove a few weeks back, its taken its rightful place as an ocean kayak when I don't want to hump its bigger cousin around.

Some pictures of my kayak and rigging:
Base version, both sides -

From the Rear -

Drive -

Mid Section -

Front Hatch -

Rigging:
Left side rigging -

Right side rigging -

Easy/cheap paddle keeper -

In action:
Tandem Edition -

Fish and right side scotty deck mount, for rod holder or downrigger -
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:33:46 PM by bmb »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Thanks for the review.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
You have a stow-away.
Catch & Repeat

Outback Allen

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Hi Ben,

I would have to agree with you. After I got my SP13 the same day as you from Headwaters, I've loved it but the weight was a factor. Was okay since I had a truck but I lost everything in a recent garage fire charging a lithium ion battery. Dan sold me his personal SP10 which I've taken out twice now and love it. Just ordered the Berleypro rudder to see if it will help with tracking.

-Allen

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Sorry for your loss Allen!

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
So this little kayak continues to be my favorite, and is almost permanently on top of my car now.  its a great kayak for smaller lakes and can handle the ocean fairly well.  Stablility, comfort and weight capacity is excellent.  Its probably a bit small for most people who like to carry a bunch of junk, but it requires me to be more efficient in my planning and execution.  The Native under seat organizer is excellent for storage and is probably my favorite accessory for keeping a clean deck.  I think Dan actually is using that on some of the new Eddyline c135s since they use essentially the same seat.

I've now had it on the ocean 3 times in mild to low moderate conditions.

Anyone who is interested in trying it out on a fishing trip - let me know.  I'm happy to lend the little guy out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:08:44 AM by bmb »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Was okay since I had a truck but I lost everything in a recent garage fire charging a lithium ion battery. Dan sold me his personal SP10 which I've taken out twice now and love it.
-Allen

Holy cow Allen! That's my worst nightmare. I hope everything else is ok. Was it a Lithium battery for a fishfinder or RC or ?
Kudos to Dan for being such a generous guy though!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~