Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is the GG Bridge fishable by Kayak  (Read 3563 times)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Too sketchy for me  no one had a throw rope ? Glad lady is ok...
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I think its illegal to fish the GG now, I heard from a commercial guy that as soon as you stop to fish the coast guard pulls up and kicks you out

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
Man, I wouldn’t attemp it unless you got lucky and missed the tides.
I have never seen it calm from a boat. The surrounding areas might look calm, but that Gate is a killer. I wouldn’t attemp it even if someone paid me a lot of money and what are you going to fish for?
There’s do many other safer and more productive places to fish🎣🐟🙏😎

You don't have to "get lucky" to miss the tides, you check the tide tables.  Seriously, on a small tide morning (like Sept 17, high is 4.4 at 7:50 am, low is 3.1 at 12:27pm, Oct 16 is similar), it is very doable.  We had an NCKA hookup there like 9-10 years ago (I think that's the day my avatar pic was taken) and there were a bunch of rockfish caught and a great time was had by all.  You can catch WSB and Halibut in Bonita cove, and of course the salmon have to swim right through there.  And because of the protection of Point Bonita that beach is an easy landing to take a lunch break.  You can park about 10 feet from a sheltered harbor launch, and you are right next to a Coast Guard station so no one will mess with your car.  Yeah there are more productive places to fish, but not too many more accessible and beautiful.  Sure, if you are out with the kite surfers at 4 in the afternoon when it's blowing 25 and there is a ripping ebb tide, totally different story.  As for the legality, you just have to stay a certain number of feet or yards away from the towers, not that big a deal.  BTW, Fort Baker is on the Marin side, Baker Beach is on the SF side (and not as protected).

bearhart

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I just had a terrible flashback of the one and only time that I ever became violently seasick. It was while passing back through that spot on 30’ fishing boat. I was a kid and it was quite a long time back so I couldn’t tell you what the actual conditions were except that it was the motion of the swell picking up the stern on the return trip that did me in.

MR MAGOO

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
  I was in a CCK class about 25 years ago there, out of Horseshoe cove. Strong tide on purpose. I remember sailboats going back and forth sailing hard trying to go under the bridge. Incoming big tide and the normal stiff wind made it impossible for them. One of our lessons was a self rescue, in a sit inside. We had a good group and a volunteer. We stayed close while he tipped over on purpose, under the bridge. I'm not joking, he finally got himself back in his boat as we got to Alcatraz. The method was using one of those little air bags you blow up and put it on the end of your paddle and put the other end in the cockpit and use it to help you climb in.

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I'll never forget the experience of going out the Gate on a 50-foot yacht with a drunk Captain at the wrong tide and wrong time of day... The current grabbed that boat and swung it from the center of the channel over to one of the towers in seconds. There was an honest-to-God whirlpool sucking at the back end of the boat, with the engines at full throttle it just sat there for a few seconds... man those concrete piers are HUGE up close! Then the eddy abated just enough and the boat jumped free and out we went, into the Potato Patch in the teeth of the wind. Within minutes almost everyone was seasick.

I've read that the amount of water that passes through the Gate every day (in both directions) is equal to the fourth-largest river in the world. Tidal currents there are immense.

But when the tidal range is small, and the wind is light, and with some experienced friends, I bet it would be great fun to do what Marin Schoolie talked about.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)