Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Death by no PFD in the Delta  (Read 2566 times)

Buzzcut1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
at least he didn't kill his daughter too (sheer luck) I wish people would get a clue and wear the dammed things. :smt013

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Dive-team-searches-for-man-whose-kayak-overturned-11246223.php

Police and a dive team searched Sunday night for a 40-year-old man who disappeared in a Delta waterway near Rio Vista after his kayak tipped over and pitched him and his 5-year-old daughter into the waves, officials said.
Witnesses told officers that after the boat overturned, the father came to the surface holding his daughter above him and that someone on a jet ski fetched the girl. The father, however, then sank below the surface, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.
never met a Dry Fly I didn't like

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
We seen this just after it unfolded... :smt011
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
They should just pass a law making it mandatory to wear a PFD when on a kayak. It's a no brainer to many on this forum, but still too many pay the price for their ignorance or neglect on this issue.  Praying the girl doesn't blame herself for her dads death.  :smt010
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
As of noon today they hadnt found the body yet. Anyone hear different or hear if it has been found?
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
They found the body,dam shame,sound like he was a stand up all around family man and good guy.they said he knew how to swim.i was telling my wife if people would just put a vest on these outcomes would be better
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

cal.ndn-yakin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Sad news.   Yes PFD is a must.   Ouple weeks ago another boy feel out the boat no PFD on him or dad dad jumps in and saves him but same as this story he went under afterwards.  I can swim also but i wear one and on kayak wouldnt catch me without it.   One of the lake lice could be watching his buddy or kids he is towing and hit me at least i may have a chance if im knocked out our broken limbs.   I stress this point to some i know.   

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
No off no go in my book....... we had one dude paddle out into the big blue at PC without a jacket and I said don't fish near me bro, he went back to shore and got it.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

CaliFishing

Read article yesterday.  Very :( to hear what happened. I always make sure I have my PFD on me at all times. Anything could happen unexpectedly.

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I just don't get it !!! VERY sad story. I always where mine, even on Shasta Lake in the 100 deg. weather. you never know when you might fall over hit your head on a piece of driftwood or worse, we had a 2x12 with a shit load of nails sticking straight out for someone to fall on floating in Shasta two weeks ago. My cousin who fishes some of the ocean tourneys with me asked if i was wearing mine that day, I said always, you know my rule, it was the first time i have seen him on Shasta with his pfd on ALL day !! I joking said you kept it on all day, his response, it's the right thing to do.
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
Especially on Shasta. Hundreds of live linear shape charges were scattered on the bottom after the failed bridge demolition. It was months before they were recovered. Could have a sudden upswell if your downrigger ball hit one. Pfd would be nice.

DeltaYakR

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Another no PFD death in rio vista. 7 year old drowned at sandy beach over the weekend.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I have never been in the Delta so can someone please fill me in on how these guys who can swim are drowning? Currents? are there undertows? I am planning to fish the delta when I get my kayak so I am seriously asking as I have every intent on wearing a pfd but would love to know the risks before I am out there for myself.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I have never been in the Delta so can someone please fill me in on how these guys who can swim are drowning? Currents? are there undertows? I am planning to fish the delta when I get my kayak so I am seriously asking as I have every intent on wearing a pfd but would love to know the risks before I am out there for myself.

I would say current, debris/islands, unexpected tip over (i.e. bad anchor, stuck downrigger, overreach, etc), and boating collision.  Even if you are a strong swimmer, you're no match against a strong current, hypothermia, or exhaustion.  Hell, you may not win against a strong current even if you are upright.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:32:39 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
So is the delta pretty fierce or what? I grew up surfing in Santa Cruz and am well aware of current. As a medic I am well aware of water that looks like glass but is a torrent below. Seen enough drownings in my life. ETOH would be a major factor quite a bit. So is the delta just that bad of an animal? Seems calm in most video I see. Is there a certian kayak size you would say is needed as a minimum to fish it?