Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What to wear?  (Read 2829 times)

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
So now that I'm close to getting my yak rigged I need to decide on what to wear so I can stay dry and warm in the cold northern California waters. I don't want to load in and out with soggy feet and considered dive boots, is there something better for use on the pedals and keeping my feet dry as I launch and retrieve in the ocean?

What about pants/shorts or wet suits?  I'm not to keen on baking in a wet suit though it will keep me dry but I suspect it will also become uncomfortable. I need to wear something that will keep me dry when launching so I don't take a wave over the bow and get soaked up to my waist as I sit down to paddle out and drop the peddles in place.

I do have a rash guard and a water proof shell with a hood to wear but also need to consider colder damp days without sun.

Thanks for the tips/advice

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Bite the bullet & look into a paddling dry suit.  You won't regret the investment.  There are other items such as dry pants & spray top.  Other option is a pair of farmer John wetsuit with a dry top.

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Bite the bullet & look into a paddling dry suit.  You won't regret the investment.  There are other items such as dry pants & spray top.  Other option is a pair of farmer John wetsuit with a dry top.

What do you do if you have to relieve yourself?

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Depends on what you are wearing.  Most drysuits have a fly.  Wet suits .... well, hence the name :smt044

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

What do you do if you have to relieve yourself?
Get the drysuit with the relief zipper. Most popular is the Kokatat brand.
For Farmer John wetsuit, just pee thru the suit and wash it off. 😂
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

Bowmen

• Bowmen
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Break down and get a dry suit. You can adjust temp. By what you were under it. If. It's cold add thermal underwater or sweet paints. I have waders , farmer johns & wind paints if really hot. But if you want to keep dry . A dry suit.  :smt004

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Might second guess buying a used wetsuit from any of our members though :smt044 :smt005

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Another option is to buy a dry bib and separate dry top. Kokatat has the whirlpool bib (NRS has a sidewinder bib) that will mate to a dry top that has a waist tunnel to form a suit. This two piece option will allow you to wear just the bib on warmer days, and the complete set for those cooler outings. Like a full suit,  it will allow you to adjust your base layer for Conditions. Another benifts of this is a more custom fit as you can mix sizes like a large bib with a XL top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:00:59 PM by yakhopper »
Hobie Outback (dune)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I bought the NRS bib and returned it as fast as I can.  Angler Drysuit is the best way to go for a little more $.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Get a dry suit. I spent time using a wetsuit and bib etc. when I finally bought a dry suit I realized that it was the only way to go.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
So where do I find a dry suit without breaking the bank?

I already have spray pants and jacket, both lightweight and are comfortable, but do I need water proof since I am not planning on going in to 50 degree water and if I did I think I'd have the yak righted and back in it pretty damn fast!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:14:56 PM by Gnarley »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Might second guess buying a used wetsuit from any of our members though :smt044 :smt005

+1
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
So where do I find a dry suit without breaking the bank?

I already have spray pants and jacket, both lightweight and are comfortable, but do I need water proof since I am not planning on going in to 50 degree water and if I did I think I'd have the yak righted and back in it pretty damn fast!
Most run around $500 new.  Sometimes a member will post a used one around $350.  They ain't cheap!

JJQ

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
In the ocean we dress to survive without our boats.  What if they sink or are blown away by the wind?  Wetsuit or drysuit.  It's not only about staying warm while on the kayak. 

Josh

Gnarley

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
In the ocean we dress to survive without our boats.  What if they sink or are blown away by the wind?  Wetsuit or drysuit.  It's not only about staying warm while on the kayak. 

Josh

Josh, first I hear you and everyone needs to do what they feel is the right thing to do, for some that may be way over protected and prepared but it makes them feel safe.

What if it sinks? Well I'll question you, how is it going to sink unless you were attacked by a shark and it punctured the hull? I read about a guy that had that happen and he was still able to get back on and peddle in. I may not be thinking of every possible way but I'm only thinking of the most reasonable possibilities. If your hull is in good shape there is no reason that it could just sink. Second how is it going to blow away in the wind? I'll tell you what if I'm fishing and the wind comes up and I can't return to my launch area I'm going to look for the nearest area to come ashore. If I can't come ashore safely anywhere and feel stranded I'm getting on channel 16 on my VHF and calling the coasties! I'm not fishing when a small craft advisory is reported and I'm not fishing when weather might threaten my safety.

I'm not a novice boater and have been fishing on friends ocean boats for about 10 years and have been a boater for about 20 years owning 3 boats between 21 and 32 feet and have taken the USCG boaters safety classes and was a member of a yacht club in the Delta.

Form my point of view if I get in trouble and think it could be life threatening I'm calling channel 16 from the VHF attached to my uppers by a lanyard.

anything