Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crash at Mavericks (HMB)  (Read 3210 times)

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
When I was just learning the sport, I got up to 11 kts on that wave on a glassy calm day!  No crash, but I will NOT be doing that again!   :smt044
Gotta go back to the green can...

TrialandError

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Thanks guys for all the great advice and concern!  My wife just said NCKA is my Facebook.  To your questions:

- Turning over PA is not easy.  I'm going to look into the ladder
- I thought about lashing myself inside my kayak before; this would have been a really bad idea
- If you've never really been submerged in your PFD, try it.  I had no idea any other way to mount my radio would have made it under water and not useable.  It also confirms my concept that a wetsuit is good for me (if I have to swim after my kayak) and assume I'm going swimming every outing. 
- I did lash my Mirage drive, I had my 20" cabbie in the front hatch, and my unleashed rods where vertical in the milk crate.  No more putting anything on the back deck.  It weighs the kayak down and makes rear-entry not possible.  No more livewell; I'll drag a bait cage in the water next time. 
- One fishing rod from now on and minimal gear.  I've gotten carried away with this barge and not uncommon for me to have three rods, huge net, 40 lbs. of water in a 5 gallon bucket, ice in a cooler in the front hatch, and I just built a ridiculous downrigger setup using Ipe wood (very heavy), six pound downrigger ball.  Add in the photography setup and recent sail purchase and you see the Error in my handle coming out strong.  In fairness, all of this stuff has a reason and I usually fish alone on weekdays for 10+ hours on the water. 
- And no, I didn't have any of my crab gear (I take two pots and two nets) when I crab. 
- Not buying another large net.  I have a 18" to stay legal but I'm going to learn to gaff from now on. 

And...I never launched from the surf...and not going to try this alone.  I may meet up with Fish67, Guillamhunter, or treck up to the cove and get a lesson from LolitaEric.   I've learned alot and most of it was from watching the Youtube videos of the Bay Area Fishing Royalty (LolitaEric, Moo Moo Outdoors, Fisherman's Life, DieHard Fishing) and of course, daily reading on this site.   

Never fished before, took it up on a whim and now I have a second job! 

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Sorry to hear that but super glad that you are ok. I fish HMB pretty frequently but never cut that corner. And yes, minimal gear is the WTG. I only carry as many rods & reels as I intended to fish with them all at once. For 90% of time that is 1 set only. And I don't bring a tackle store on the yak. For rockfish, it is usually 5-6 setups and some leader line. If I lose more than that on a day, it is better just go home. It is also a lot easier to manage with limited space. Takes less time to get ready/clean up, more for fishing time. See you out there!
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I've learned alot and most of it was from watching the Youtube videos of the Bay Area Fishing Royalty ( Fisherman's Life, DieHard Fishing).   

Really?
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I've learned alot and most of it was from watching the Youtube videos of the Bay Area Fishing Royalty ( Fisherman's Life, DieHard Fishing).   

Really?

One of those things actually explains a lot.  Guy should come with a warning label.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
TrialandError wrote:
<snipped> My wife just said NCKA is my Facebook

Let's just get something clear right now - YOU should be offended by that statement.  :smt013
NCKA is nothing like that infernal POS.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011

Really?

One of those things actually explains a lot.  Guy should come with a warning label.

You guys are dicks!  Actually, you guys just did my job for me!    :smt005
If you ain't first, you're last.

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Glad you picked up fishing man.  I stopped fishing when I was 18, and didn't really pick it back up again till last year. (33). and I feel you man, I feel like It's my second job.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

TrialandError

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
A few pics from my crash.  Nice Cabby, after I stacked, new teardrop scar on my face...

andyoutdoors

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile https://www.youtube.com/user/a17dyjai
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Holy!! Glad you are ok man!
2017 Hobie Revolution 13
2021 HooDoo Hero
IG: andyoutdoorssf

2023 MBK Derby 3rd place

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Here's a similar situation.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

sonomian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Here's a similar situation.

wow..I'm speechless  I'm glad you are okay. Thanks for sharing your experience..
From now on I will wear my wet suit regardless how hot the weather is along with my PFD.

CaliKev

• Sand Dab
  • Looking to meet up for rockfish and salmon trips
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2019
Pretty scary and sobering story, as things could’ve gotten worse. Glad you were able to share your experience and lessons learned. I went out of HMB for the first time last week and there were several sneaker waves that could’ve flipped me if I didn’t paddle quickly to get over them. I’m preparing myself mentally, but need to practice self rescue techniques, and make a DIY ladder.

Redbobber1498

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Happy your ok.  Rolled my kayak a week ago in similar weather situation trying to boat a hali.  Lost a rod , my boots, and burned my phone.  Self rescued like you.  My incident wasn’t quite a windy as yours.  Glad your ok.

anything