Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:21 PM]

[Today at 06:52:32 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Crabber Rescued in Bodega Bay  (Read 2503 times)

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
An hour in the water... can't imagine how that would feel.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
It says he had a drysuit and PFD, but the drysuit filled with water. Apparently, no radio, though...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: NowhereMan
It says he had a drysuit and PFD, but the drysuit filled with water. Apparently, no radio, though...

Good observation.  They probably don't mention it because they don't figure basic little kayak fishers don't know to carry radios...

It's time to consider making a stand here, IMO.  As a club of responsible practitioners of this sport, it's up to us to inform the public that we have standards for safety - we have a culture of safety.  Otherwise we are in danger of being lumped in with those who are unprepared and uninformed.

Shit's going to change for our sport in the near future - that's my prediction based on the number of easily preventable mishaps occurring.

Here's some immediate and easily implementable advice for all of us:  let's talk up safety even more than we have.  Let's analyze these examples of people making bad decisions regarding gear and their activities, and let's make it clear when others engaged in the sport go against accepted safety protocols.

I don't carry a radio.  I carry multiple radios.

I don't wear just a drysuit - I wear a wetsuit under it.

I don't count on one GPS or one compass.

I don't get surprised by my inability to paddle against a current or wind - I carefully work my way toward increasingly farther distances from shore and factor in worst case scenarios.

I know I'm not alone here.  This club has been a shining example of being smart about the sport.  We need to take our reputation and turn it into a standard.

I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
An hour in the water... can't imagine how that would feel.

Especially while drifting towards one of the largest concentrations of GWS on the planet.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Mountain Wolf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I agree with you Eric. They will regulate at some point.  I wonder how he got separated from his kayak? It is a lot harder to spot a person submerged in the drink. He got lucky and will probably still end up with a hefty bill.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Personally I'm leaning towards leashing myself to my kayak just like a SUP user should too. Getting separated in rough conditions isn't a rare occurrences lately. A PFD is already required by law correct?
-Jason

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Leashing yourself might be a good idea, especially if you are alone. I've seen videos of   NWKA member who uses a retractable dog leash clipped to the back of his PFD.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I agree with you Eric. They will regulate at some point.  I wonder how he got separated from his kayak? It is a lot harder to spot a person submerged in the drink. He got lucky and will probably still end up with a hefty bill.

that is the beautiful thing about our coasties... No bill... Folks are there to help you if you get in trouble. Call before your situation reaches critical. They will come save you, every time period! Gear up before going out...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Mountain Wolf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Tax dollars going to a great cause!  I don't think the ambulance company will be so gracious for the long ride to the hospital.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Oh ya, that's gonnA hurt $$$
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Personally I'm leaning towards leashing myself to my kayak just like a SUP user should too. Getting separated in rough conditions isn't a rare occurrences lately. A PFD is already required by law correct?

Better hope you don't get tangled with that leash  :smt009 and if your flipped yak is going into a reef maybe you don't want to be attached.

Or dragging you backwards through a kelp bed.......
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:47:17 AM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Danadeep

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
I agree with Cabeza de Martillo.  We already tether our gear to try and limit what goes in the brink.  I don't think personally that I want to be tethered and have to face getting tangled underwater and needing a breath any more than what I've already have resigned to deal with.  I can say this isn't an issue that I've had to face and keeping safety in mind, hope to never face it.

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
When I was in the military, we always went over what we were planning on doing/going for the day and went did a safety briefing at the beginning of every shift. It would be a good thing for our club members to do a quick rundown and go over safety before you leave the beach. Especially for NCKA events since there are a lot of us on the water. Just make one person in charge of safety to go over the stuff just to make sure everyone in the group are all on the same page and make sure everyone has the right gear and didnt forget something in the car or at home. People tend to bring extras and might let someone borrow what their lacking. It's easy to get complacent since we fish out of our kayaks all the time without any problems but problems happen way to fast and you never know when it will happen to you. As this sport is growing we will see some kind of regulations... more than having a whistle and a PFD with you (were not required to have it on, just one with you). VHF radio should be a required item to have with you, especially when you are going out on the salt!

I'm pretty sure this guy didnt have a dry suit and it was a semi dry suit. Hopefully he doesent stop using his kayak and learns from his mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:17:49 AM by dan916 »
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I’m not worried about getting tangled up bc I always have a knife on me to cut free. I’ve been thinking of leashing myself long as I can remember when I first started touring. Everything has costs and benefits to it IMHO.  Personally I feel a floating kayak is my lifeline vs getting separated. I’ll have about twenty’ of line connect to my pfd and line loosely tucked into an open pocket to a carabiner attaching to my kayak. Whether it be a rogue wave or shark knocking me out, I’ll be  teathered. 
-Jason