Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Man drowns at Point Reyes when fishing waders fill with water  (Read 3576 times)

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Now that I think about it, Alex (Alien) wearing pfd while perch fishing makes a lot of sense.

I've done this. It made me feel like I looked stupid, but that's OK, I am stupid much of the time.  When snare crabbing at baker or china beaches, I'll put the wetsuit on too.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
The sad story is that his daughter got Leukemia and several of his church members took him to fish to cheer him up.
They have been searching for a matching donor but without any success.

Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

FISHALLDAY

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Absolutely terrible to hear... :smt010

Odonata

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
The surf can be unforgiving. I was striper surf fishing once around Pacifica when a kneehigh water rushed me immediately followed by another above my waist. It knocked me down and was under water for a few seconds. The force of water rushing back to the ocean was so strong I had to anchor myself by digging my hands into the sand or I would’ve end up in the ocean. Now that I think about it, Alex (Alien) wearing pfd while perch fishing makes a lot of sense.

Yes, this has happened to me surf fishing, too.  I have balance issues from an old spinal injury, so I need to be careful.  After that incident I wear a PFD at the beach. 

Madraz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
I've wondered about how to handle this situation if it should ever happen to me when surf fishing. Lots of people say that the waders will become positively buoyant when filled with water, there are videos online trying to prove this but its usually done in static water, in pounding surf I doubt it would work.
I imagine if you were able to use a knife to cut a slit in the wader above the boots that it would allow the water to run out but you would need to do it quick on both legs. Its a frightening thought to have to deal with as you are being dragged out to sea with waves crashing on you and feeling weight filled waders dragging you down.
The only other option would be some kind of buoyancy aid either worn or one that you could quickly inflate in an emergency. Those slimline yachting pfd's would be perfect but nobody EVER wears them surf fishing at least that I've seen.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Terrible that this happened. South Beach is no joke makes me nervous just trying to have a family picnic there.

I have considered buying waders for shore fishing, possibly at Point Reyes. Have see neoprene and it is the same material as my wetsuit, would it be safer?

In my opinion he’ll yes if there snug like your wetsuit, at least around the spare tire area.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Tinker

The water inside the waders/drysuit/whatever you're wearing weighs exactly the same as the water you're in and water-filled waders cannot "drag you down" - but the weight of the water in your waders makes it darned hard to stand up and walk or pull yourself out of the surf or back onto your kayak.  DAMHIK.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
A gallon of fresh water weighs 8.34 lbs. I'm sure approximately ten gallons can fit in waders. That's potentially 83 additional lbs sloshing around and not evenly distributed throughout your body. Half of that is 41.5 lbs..........think about it.

The surf is strong and can easily drown a person on a rough day. Add the additional unevenly distributed weight and you are basically fucked. If you get knocked down now you are possibly adding sand to the equation as well.

Same for flipping over on a kayak wearing waders. People have enough trouble self rescuing themselves. The added water weight can be a death sentence.

This is what probably happened to the other guy crabbing that got separated from his yak. Since it was reported that his dry suit had water inside of it........just a guess but I would bet that was definitely a factor.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:02:37 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005

Same for flipping over on a kayak wearing waders. People have enough trouble self rescuing themselves. The added water weight can be a death sentence.

I've flipped my kayak wearing waders (on purpose) multiple times. If you're wearing the right sized waders the top opening is just under your nipples and well encased in your PFD. If your waders are closed tightly at the top and your PFD fits you correctly then hardly any water will get in them when you go over. Even when I got smashed in the surf at Muir I only had about a cup of water in my waders and most of that was wicked in through the shirt I was wearing.

Just sayin'.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

I've flipped my kayak wearing waders (on purpose) multiple times. If you're wearing the right sized waders the top opening is just under your nipples and well encased in your PFD. If your waders are closed tightly at the top and your PFD fits you correctly then hardly any water will get in them when you go over. Even when I got smashed in the surf at Muir I only had about a cup of water in my waders and most of that was wicked in through the shirt I was wearing.

Just sayin'.

Many moons ago I was surf fishing on Ocean Beach in SF. The waters edge was at least 30 feet away from me and I was walking on the beach adjacent to the concrete wall separating the sand from the sidewalk.  My approximate location was directly across where Playland use to be on the Great Highway. From out of nowhere a rouge wave swamped me while wearing waders. If I wasn't as strong as a bull it would have been over for me that day. I probably got 3 gallons of water in my waders by that set of waves. That is why I am so con waders  :smt009

I see your point about the snug fitting gear though. If I were wearing a smedium pfd and yoga pants style waders it would've been cool   :smt002
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:01:42 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

Just sayin'.

+1
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Before going to the beach for a session of surf fishing  or just to play around  I always check the surf report. Once I get there I take a few minutes to watch the waves and count the second of the sets coming in. I also watch out for the significant waves that’s usually bigger than the regular waves. 
I also do what the Sandpiper do! I go in and out of the surf line. As the water recede i walk or run to the water line and make my cast and as the water comes in I’m running or walking back up the beach.
Even with waders on I rarely go in the water past my calves and I never take my eyes off the surf.
Keep in mind that the beach is dynamic and has different sand structures . You could be walking in 6 inches of water and suddenly step in a hole that’s 4 feet deep or deeper! This happen to me in San Gregorio Beach and freaked me out ! So always be aware when on the beach and be safe.

Hunt4fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
This is some good food for thought.

On waders in a boat: I use my kayak for duck hunting and in the past I wore waders. I hunted marshes, and I would sometimes have to leave the boat and wade. This was usually in skinnier water and I wore neoprene for buoyancy and always wore a belt and a life jacket. Since then experience taught me that most of the birds I was retrieving were on semi-dry ground or open water, so I switched to a farmer john and calf-high NRS boots. The combination actually will keep out most water even wading deeper, but if water seeps in, it doesn't really matter since it's a wetsuit.

I've never thought about wearing one for surf fishing, but after reading this I'm probably going to wear the manually inflatable life vest that I use for hunting when I'm surf fishing. It weighs nothing and you can almost forget you are wearing it,  but might give a person a chance. You probably have more risk with waders in the surf than deeper still water.

Condolences to the family.  Most of us have done the same exact thing he was doing at the time.

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Man, I was really on the fence about buying some waders instead of wearing my wetsuit out into the surf, it looks like I am just going to go the wetsuit route for now and maybe research as many of the beaches I'm going to visit to make sure they don't have too crazy of an untertow.

Sucks, but thank you for the article.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

curplunkie

• Sand Dab
  • Kayak Fisherman in Training
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
During one of our motorboat operator certification courses, we actually take people out to the pool and debunk the myth that waders filling up with wader will sink you to the bottom.  The fact is, once the water is filled up, you're just as buoyant as you were before.  The only difference is your ability to swim is now compromised with the boots and straps on your shoulders.  This is why it's so important to wear a PFD even if you're just surf fishing, the waders won't pull you down, but the surf can definitely keep you under, and without the buoyancy of the pfd, it can get dangerous really quickly.  Not to say that there's no effect, just saying that waders filling up with water won't sink you like many think.
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3 Ultra (Yellow)
Hobie Revo 13 (Red and Olive)

anything