Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:58:14 PM]

[Today at 07:32:12 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kodiak canvas tents  (Read 966 times)

Widgeon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the Kodiak canvas tents. It's big, it's heavy, and definately only for car camping. Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? They're kinda pricey and wanted to get any input before buying. TIA....
3rd--- 2017 Albion Open

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
What's your reasoning for a canvas tent over a lighter style REI type tent? Just curious.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Go for used, Old coleman tents are great. Lot of Kodiacs on ebay right now!!! :smt006

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Complete-VINTAGE-SEARS-HILLARY-CANVAS-CABIN-TENT-9x11-Hunting-/152875804745

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/canvas-tent

Redo the waterproofing and GO!!! We like ours over the nylon tents because they are darker inside and sturdy...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:09:20 PM by Weimarian »
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
<=>

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Go for used, Old coleman tents are great. Lot of Kodiacs on ebay right now!!! :smt006

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Complete-VINTAGE-SEARS-HILLARY-CANVAS-CABIN-TENT-9x11-Hunting-/152875804745

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/canvas-tent

Redo the waterproofing and GO!!! We like ours over the nylon tents because they are darker inside and sturdy...

Man, that Hillary's exactly the one my folks' had when I was a wee one. Hard to think it's going for that much. But then again, I've not looked at canvas tents for years, so definitely out of the loop
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Right!!!?!?!? I've got 2 canvas tents. According to those prices 2 tents = new kayak!!!!! Anyone? Bueller? :smt003 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Widgeon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I wanted to get a canvas tent for the durability, the headroom, and the fact that they seal well. I don't want ventilation; I want to keep coastal humidity OUT of the tent. And it seems canvas tents are the best way to get all those things IMO. But there's the cost, and of course the weight issue. But I'm not looking for a backpacking tent...almost all my camping is car camping.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:14:23 PM by Widgeon »
3rd--- 2017 Albion Open

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
We will be using one of ours at bodega crabfest. Seals so well you have to open the door if someone farts :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
As having many years of Canvas Tent Experience, let me offer my insight. If you tents gets rained on gets any amount of moisture, be prepared to leave it up for three days for it to dry out before you put it up. yes three dry days. That was a known standard in the Army, and it served me well. If you don't you will regret it. Once mold gets into those forget it, just throw it away. You won't get rid of it.  Have you ever put a canvas tent in the wind?  Fun experience, don't do it alone.  Tent pegs, if they are not steel pegs at least 18  inches in length don't use them, wind catches those things and throws hard and far. Fire extinguisher, carry one, do not use any open flames in them, you are only asking for trouble.

If it doesn't come with a floor piece, keep searching. Check the seams, how many layers of stitching there, single stich, keep looking, you want minimal double row stitching on the seams, triple or quadruple is preferred. How easy is it to re-duck the canvas? Does it come with a repair kit. Repairing tent canvas, is like repairing sails, and about as much fun. Use pre-coated wax thread, it slides through easier, and helps waterproof the hole you are making to make the repair.  ropes, check with the maker, but I find waxing the rope helps it from becoming to stiff to work with, put to much and the braking device can't do its job.

Newer poly coated tent material is my preferred material for tents now days, but they cost.  At work we use Western Shelter and TVI tents, good as they are, they still have the same problems as the rest of them. My experiences are with the following tents: 10 Man Artic, General Purpose (GP) Small, Medium, Large, Drash, Western Shelter 1935, TVI's, Zumro Inflatable, and a few others I have forgotten over the years. I have used the Army issued tent repair kit and have hand sewn many a rip, my sewing skills look like a cross of drunken sailor, and 1 eyed Doctor, all crappy but they held, tent repair is a PITA of the first order. The needles are large, and hard to push through, so keep that in mind if you are looking at buying one. I would advise against it.

The fire factor I cannot over emphasis on. In 1986, while driving the Battalion Commander we drove up on a base camp of young 2Lt's who were in the Basic Officers Course at Fort Sill. In there last couple of weeks they go through an intense training, with the last day as a big display of both air strikes and artillery bombardment. Well that night we drove up to watch a GP Large go up in flames. In less than a minute I watch this tent go up in flames in high wind and set fire to two other tents, it was that fast. It has stuck with me how quickly they can go up. Luckily no one was in them, something got knocked over and poof it was gone. Both my commander and I watched as there was nothing we could do, except yell for everyone to get out.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

anything