Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:43:10 AM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:35:34 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New to the Forum/also looking to get my first kayak need some info?  (Read 1372 times)

z520ranger

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Im looking to get my first kayak its going to be strickly for the ocean. I want something I can rock fish with and fish south for tuna calico ect.. I have a price range of somewhere between 500-2000. I have never fished out of a kayak before and was referred to this forum for some expertice. I like to carry a decent amount of tackle and rods.

Im a tournament bass guy, I have a new 20ft ranger, so my yak is gonna be strickly for the ocean. also when I get my kayak if anyone wants to show me the way out in the ocean, ill trade ya for a trip bass trip. Ive been watching all the youtube videos and am so stoked to get on board something new it looks awesome.

Thanks for the help.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
that is a pretty wide open question, but I paddle a trident 15 and love the storage that is easy to access.  Paddles well but I do recommend a rudder.  High weight capacity so good for heavier guys or folks who catch lots of big fish.  Think about the weight of a limit of seabass added to you and your gear.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I have a trident 15 and love it but if I'm now strictly looking at hobie. kayaks as I hate to put my rod down every time I move my boat. Its kinda like having a foot control trolling motor or a having oars. You are welcome to fish with me any time.  I normally fish Cambria and big sur. Welcome
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Alot of the long distance guys seem to be running adventure islanders by hobie,hauls a good amount of gear and they sail them so I that that would fit what your looking for.but it's gonna be more than 2g
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

HOLY TOLEDO

• 2009 Angler of the Year
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Welcome aboard!  I think I talked with you at Outdoor Pro Shop the other day.  You have come to the right spot for answers, lots of salty knowledge around here.  I am sure many would enjoy hearing your bass reports as well.

Since your budget should cover just about any yak, your best bet is to get a general idea of what size boat (length + capacity) you need. Then go out and demo as many as you can in that range for the right fit.  Lots of great kayak models out there, find the one that feels right to you.

Also, break the news to your Ranger lightly...
WE BROS

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Welcome and you will find I think, that most of us here love the ocean the most. It offers incredible species and new condition almost every day. We live in Petaluma and if you are around this neck of the woods almost any of us up here in Sonoma county would love to get you on fish. Start off slowly. Paddling in calmer waters and taking some safety class or just get paddling time. Increasing your knowledge and capabilities as you go. Pick days that are within your realm of comfortability and safety. There are quite a few kayak manufactures out there. Stick with a reputable brand that will be there for you. I feel that you will need a kayak between 13 and 15+ feet on the big blue for paddling ability and overall tracking and stability. Speed doesn't have to be a major factor but you dont want to have your buddies always waiting for you or you feeling a bit tired pushing a wider boat around all day.

Have some fun. Meet some great people. Get your fish on. Craig
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

ClearlakeKid

• BRIMMED OUT!
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
The Z520 Ranger in my opinion is the #1 boat on the tournament trail. It is Rangers' work horse. The kayak that falls into the work horse catagory is the Ocean Kayak Trident/Prowler 13. There are probably more of these on the water than any thing else. I am in no means taking away from the other brands/models, this boat is just a good starting point.

I also have a Ranger (522) and fished lots tournaments, before I had kids.  I have to say that I have gotten more use out of my kayak than my Ranger. 98 hours on a 2005 Optimax is pathetic. :smt009

It took me a while to get used to fishing out of a kayak; no Minnkota 101 to put you (or hold you) where you want to be. Once I got used to fishing from the yak it tapped into something that I can not get from a powerboat.

In fact, I have thought a time or two about letting my 522 go. However, my wife prefers fishing out of the Ranger on larger lakes. And, now that I have little kids the Ranger will get more love.

That said, don't discount the kayak from freshwater fisheries. I take mine to many places that I would never contemplate launching the Ranger.  There are lots of small lakes that are ideal for kayaks. Also, I think that kayak angling makes you a better fisherman. Instead of counting on making a milk run to all the places you know produce, you are forced to concentrate your efforts on a smaller geographic area. You really have to pound it out.  A hidden bonus, the other bass guys will let you get close enough so actually see what they are doing when you are in a kayak. They just don't see you as a "threat."  I have actually pre-fished out of my yak a time or two.

Where are you located?

z520ranger

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Im in santa rosa and thanks for the information. Im stoked to go catch some rock fish and not hitch a ride on my buddies whaler. Is that the kayak you have if so email me some pics please.

ClearlakeKid

• BRIMMED OUT!
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Sorry Bro, my yaks are Ocean Kayak Drifters- not the most loved yaks on the board. My wife and I both have them and appreciate the stability, weight rating (I am 290 lbs) for their length, a short 12'6". I also stumbled on the deal of the century and bought mine new for $504 out the door.

My family all has yaks. One brother has a Prowler Big Game, another has the Trident 13 and my father has a Wilderness Systems 115 Ride. I really like my dad's Ride, it's a great boat for big guys.

I suggested the Trident/Prowler 13 as that is a nice boat that is commonly recommended here.  I know my brother likes his Trident 13. Personally, I prefer the Prowler 13 as I like foot scallops over foot pegs (but that is a completely different discussion).

I highly suggest calling yak shops and finding out when their demo days are so you can test paddle a variety of yaks.  I know Pacific Outfitters does them on Lake Mendocino a few times a year.  It is a great chance to get in a variety of kayaks and really get a feel for your preferences. There are people who love and hate just about every type of kayak there is; for their own reasons. The biggest goal is to get a boat that fits you and that you are comfortable in.