Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:12:50 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 08:10:36 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New and noobie here with a new,.. i mean used kayak  (Read 3324 times)

chuebaka

• Hey fellowing members
  • Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Anyway, I'm a total noob here and is new to the whole kayak fishing. I've been fishing for a long time and always been fishing off the bank and I know a lot of great spots and location.  I just got my kayak for little over 3 months ago used on cragislist. I've been watching so much YouTube video and was really fascinated with whole ocean fishing. I've been rigging up my yak from the past couple months with fish finder, more rods holder, trolley kit, milk crate and rod lease and went overboard with the whole DIY thing. I went all out crazy without even taking my yak out to the lake and getting the feel of it. I have no experience what so ever so I took it out last week to lake amador. It was really scary and I feel like the kayak will flip at anytime. Any tips or pointer from anybody would be appreciated.. I'll Probably take out the yak again this weekend to the lakes and just practice. I swear, people makes it look so easy on YouTube and I'm not ready for the ocean yet..! By the way, I have a Pelican Elie Horizon 150 Angler Kayak. I've look up the spec and it seems pretty good and I decided to go with it. I've been looking around and it seems like not much people has this yak. So now I'm starting to feel like I should of gotten a ocean kayak instead. But anyway, here are some pic of me and my rigs.. 1st pic is how the kayak come stock..
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Looks like a speed machine to me, nice choice IMHO!

However, this is a more advanced kayak, with good speed and probably secondary stability ( haven't paddled one so I can only guess). It will take some getting used to.

practice, practice.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

chuebaka

• Hey fellowing members
  • Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Does anybody know if this kayak good enough for the ocean? Do you know anybody or does anybody have his kayak? I just whant to get people personal reviews about this Pelican Elie Horizon 150 Angler Kayak. Thanks
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
My first yak was a pelican...little dinky thing...didn't do any research and my choice was because it was late sat eve and it was the only one they had...

When I asked the sales kid if it was an ocean kayak... he said "I think so, it's got these holes in it for water to drain"  :smt005  bought it tossed it on top of my camper drove out to OC and began to fish... made the mistake of putting down and anchor and almost flipped my yak with the swells dragging me down before I cut my new anchor/rope... what a rush...  don't even remember if I caught fish... :smt005

Your ride looks so much sweeter!!!........ you doing the "lake thing" first way cool idea...ocean gets freaky...make sure to do all the safety stuff...VHF, pool noodles, whistle, flares, gps, mirror, BUDDY sys... good wet suit/dry suit is probably the best way to roll... There's so much info on this site......... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

other peeps know who they are but there's a surf class out of Ft bragg I believe where they take you to Casper beach and train you on how to get back in through heavy surf conditions....Piscean said it practice, practice, practice...Safety, Safety, Safety is also good...

And your rigging looks sweet...Have fun with it......welcome TO the MADNESS!!! :smt044 :smt044 :smt044  Cya OTW bro...
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Does anybody know if this kayak good enough for the ocean? Do you know anybody or does anybody have his kayak? I just whant to get people personal reviews about this Pelican Elie Horizon 150 Angler Kayak. Thanks

Ocean is where I would think this boat would shine, but it will feel tippy. As I said, it appears to be more of an "advanced paddler" design. Which is no trouble if you are keen on the challenge. I would paddle it on freshwater to get used to it.
practice your self rescues, and I would highly recommend an into-to-paddling class as well.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the yak, I'm really diggin the design.  Looks almost Tarpon 160ish, I bet its a fast one.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Practice, practice, practice.  You're a kayaker first, a fisherman second.  Hard to remember at times!!!!

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
WTTM.......you got all you need now,,,,,c u on the water soon!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
That boat looks great for the ocean. Just keep practicing. you will get the feel of it. Make sure you practice falling out,flipping it back over and climbing back in. When climbing back in remember BBF. That is belly,butt,feet. That is the order in which each of those body parts should re-enter the boat.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Thats a sleek looking kayak there. Rudder too......................... you have all the makings of some real action on the ocean. When you start drifting for rockfish keep your legs over the side and your stability will increase twofold. Thats looks fast and low profile, great choice.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
When you start drifting for rockfish keep your legs over the side and your stability will increase twofold.

I too did the samething, rigged the hell out of my new kayak without ever having paddled before. Before overly confident, I chose not to er on the side of caution and didn't listen to my fellow brothers about paddling; my first experience was very interesting; I'm glad I chose to do it 50+ other kayakers to keep an eye on me.

I strongly recommend you paddle it first on a lake close to shore, to get use to the kayak and accessing all the fishing gizmos and gadgets I installed. Once I got use to the tippiness of the kayak, I was scooting around all over the lake; I didn't even really fish the tourny, just love the feeling of paddling free!

Welcome aboard and hope to fish with you soon!

The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Welcome and I must say, my story is very much the same as yours.  I bought my kayak without ever having been in a kayak in my life.  Dealer asked me what I wanted to demo.  Demo?  Nope!  Sell me that big boy, the Hobie Pro Angler.  She's big, she's heavy and she sweats a lot.... wait, that's someone else I'm thinking of....
Anyways, she's big and she's heavy and stable enough to stand on.  I rigged out my kayak so much that the fist day I put it in the water, I couldn't climb in over all the crap!!!!!  Ha!!  I discovered over the next few trips what I needed and what I didn't need based on each individual trip.   
I like lakes too and am a bit nervous about the ocean yet.  I've deliberately put off getting my wetsuit so that I'm not tempted to take off on my own on the seas..   but, I purposefully bought the kayak for ocean fishing, so sooner or later, I'll take that plunge.  In the meantime, if you wanna do some training sessions and want company, give me a shout.  I'm up near Placerville but willing to travel anywhere for the experience and hooking up with like-minded guys.

In the meantime, check out the HOW (Heros on the Water) forum here. 

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=36688.0

There's an event at Natomas coming up and they need some guys with kayaks to partner up with the WW(Wounded Warriors).  It would be a good chance to meet some of the folks here, get in some paddling experience and give back some worthy folks. 
Cheers!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:24:54 AM by skipro3 »

SandBag

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
WTTM. Nice rigging now ya gotta get some blood on it lol.
If it is tippy you'll get used to it a lot of new kayaker have this problem but get over it in no time. After that it's like riding a bike.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Try paddling without anything on it and get used to it at first then start off small, one rod , get comf and then move up.  Too much stuff at first can lead to major yard sales. 
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song