Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:25:09 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Introduction  (Read 1408 times)

Game Hunter

• Say hello to my hand cannon, my boom stick, and my smoke pole!
  • Sand Dab
  • I dont want no teenage queen all I want is my M14
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Just wanted to say hello to all you peeps on here and looking forward to meeting you guys on the water sometime. I have yet to buy a kayak but am looking to do so soon. I have been searching hi and low for a good deal and trying to get an idea of what I want. So far, I have narrowed the choices down to the Ocean T13, Wilderness Systems 140, Ride 135,  or a Hobie. Anyone have any recommendations as to what they would get and where to get it? Any help would be appreciated.
 :smt006
Catch you on the flip side!

Domenic

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Welcome to the Madness/Brotherhood! :smt006

Looks like a good selection of yaks, are you going fresh and/or saltwater?

Domenic

If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much space!

Game Hunter

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks man! Can't wait to get out there! I hope to obtain one before the end of the salmon run! I plan on doing both salt and freshwater fishing... More saltwater than fresh though... I'm kind of an adrenalin junky.  :smt002

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

Thats a big "Can-O-Worms" about what kayak to get Hahahah.  The 5 you listed are about the top ones people use. (I have an OB) and many debates have spawned over which one is tops.  You'll get questions like
"What waters do will you fish more, fresh ocean?" or "Do you like to padle or pedal?"  "How much gear will you likely carry?"
  To help in you decission, you should try out each one you listed, some kayak shops offer you the chance to do just that, try out various kayaks, to see what is comfortable to you. I can't think of the kayak shops now (Brain fart) but someone will post with that information.
Good luck and WTTM!

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Game Hunter

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I figured I would be doing so with that question but the experienced knowledge is what I am seeking. I have kayaked once and it was a trident 13 and I liked it a lot. I checked out a wilderness Tarpon 140 yesterday and checked out a Hobie outback today. I liked them all! I must say that I am very impressed with the latter because of having the option of pedal/paddle. Is the option to pedal vs. paddle worth it though? It seems to me it might be. It is also one more thing that may go wrong with the kayak. How reliable is the pedal system and how much and what kind of maintenance is required?

hallsworth

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If you want to peddle you could also look into the native kayaks
" beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

Chumchum

• The Broke But Not Starving Student
  • Salmon
  • Wildernes Systems Ride the old one.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I like my WS Ride but Im also diving off of it. It is supper stable and I can even scuba dive and stand up(in calm WX) no problem the only problem is I have the old heavy version and I feel like i am slower than the Hobie and OK guys. If your doing a lot of trolling or moving around I hear the hobie is the way to go leaving your hands free to work your rod and improve your fishing range. Has for durability of the pedal drive Im not sure but you can always bring a paddle out just in case. I hear monterey bay kayaks is the best place to test out rides and they even will discount the purchase im not sure the full details but others will chime in.

Wes

Powelligator

• Sand Dab
  • All I need? A Kayak, a Jeep and the Great Outdoors
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I have two Hobies, the oldest of which is a 2007.  The drives have been quite reliable to the point that I wouldn't consider reliability an issue at all.  One of my two drive units has a ton more time on it as they are both interchangeable so I've got different size fins on each, and the Turbos get less use than the ST's.  I bent up the ST drive unit big time on a rock on Lake Powell but it got me home and I didn't fix it until long after I got back to California.  I've had both units in saltwater and I see no problems with corrosion, which makes sense since the metal parts are stainless and I hose everything off after each use.

I like having both hands free when I'm underway so my vote is for the Hobie, but I've also got two other non-Hobies in my fleet (I'm really into this sport/hobby/obsession) and the Hobies are equally good at standard paddling in shallow water when the drive unit is pulled and the knockout plug is in.

My favorite 'Yak in my fleet is the Costco $349 el-cheapo.  It tracks straight, easy to paddle, plenty of dry storage, light enough to get on the Jeep with one hand/arm and if I beat it on rocks I'm not worried about scratching the hull.  That said, if I could only have one it'd be a Hobie due to it's versatility (you can sail them also).

Welcome aboard!

Joe

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Welcome aboard Game Hunter. Best of luck deciding which to buy. So many good yaks out there. See you on the water.

-FF
-FF

Game Hunter

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks a lot for the info guys! My mom told me that Costco has some kayaks and I should go there to check them out. Its nice to know that they have some beaters... Hehe. Also, thanks for the support! I love to fish and love the idea from fishing from a kayak! I like The idea of pleasure and exersise rolled in one peaceful package. I think my first purchase will be a Hobie. Hopefully I can get one in the next couple of months. I'm a stickler for a good deal!  :smt007

Chumchum

• The Broke But Not Starving Student
  • Salmon
  • Wildernes Systems Ride the old one.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Hey just came from west marine there selling a WM brand fishing kayak 12 ft long looks like the generic version of an ocean kayak with three rod holders already in but no rod pod. Only 499

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk