Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:43:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Runaway kayak - looking for your comment  (Read 3527 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

I think you're right, things seems to enter slow mo when you're about to fall off.  I want to say I have a pretty good reaction on a spill event, but I agree that practice will make perfect. 

I've seen some of the commentaries on the AI boards, harness seems to be the way to go.  'gonna try the surf leash thing as an insurance.

You're on a Raptor,, you won't fall off.

Accelerate too fast and he could somersault off the back! 

Make sure you have it trimmed properly to get up on a plane.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
My only real concern with this is when (solo) anchored out in big water far from shore with fast current.  IE anchored a mile plus offshore in Suisun Bay.  Current there is way faster than I can swim, with or without PFD (always worn).  I've thought about tethering but never done it.  Figured in that circumstance it would be a really ugly day but with wetsuit and PFD I'd get to shore safely, it would just be a long ass float/swim.  Anytime I've gone over (never in moving water tho) seems like an arm immediately lashes out and grabs the yak.

Maybe I should set up an auto QRAS release, maybe just tether a light line to pop the release.

Wind would be a big deal too if you reacted too slow.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
If I rig up a motor, I'm going to add a kill switch like you find on a jetski.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I think you're right, things seems to enter slow mo when you're about to fall off.  I want to say I have a pretty good reaction on a spill event, but I agree that practice will make perfect. 

I've seen some of the commentaries on the AI boards, harness seems to be the way to go.  'gonna try the surf leash thing as an insurance.

You're on a Raptor,, you won't fall off.

Jim, I actually feel really really good about being on the Raptor.  But I worry about everything, at least I'd like to get this answered to some degree.  'gonna tether to top of PFD or waist and will test high speed.  The surf leash should be good for on/off.  Tether is only on high speed, off otherwise.  You never know, that's the same reason why we buy insurance.  I can't discount stupidity as well ... for example, I may decide to surf standing up   :smt005

I also thought about grabbing the paddle, but my paddle is tucked in into a bungee paddle holder, may not come off easily. 

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
If I rig up a motor, I'm going to add a kill switch like you find on a jetski.

Yup, I got the kill switch covered, it's the slide that I worry about.  Thx!
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I can picture a separation situation where you would quickly and irrecoverably lose contact with your kayak.  Anchored in current is one.  Strong, unexpected and sustained wind blow is another. 

A strong unexpected gust happened to an NWKA guy a few years back, you could see the wind whipping up the water as it blew toward his position.  When it hit, he huli'd into the cold water.  Watch the first few seconds of this video to see how fast it happens.

He didn't get separated, but I could easily see it happening.

That's a guy who didn't practice self rescue.
He took WAY too long to get back on then needed help doing so.
Gather and fix your shit later. Get back on first and foremost.
If you practice regularly you will learn your tipping point too and avoid that mistake more often than not.
Pretty freaking simple~ PRACTICE!
<=>

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Also- Carry your waterproof vhf radio on your PFD, which you are always wearing. If the yak gets away, you can still call for help.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Looks to me like those new style seats create a center of gravity that enhances one's "opportunity" to flip over.  I think I'll stick to the sore ass scenario rather than the flip.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:58:02 PM by Fish 'n Brew »

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
    In 12+ years of fishing at least once a week I think I might have fallen off my Prowler 15 once, but since I don't recall the details, I think maybe I never have, except when practicing -and it's hard to get it to go over.
    But I almost never fish outside of Monterey/Carmel Bays, and I don't enjoy fishing in windy, rough conditions, so I watch the weather/wave reports pretty carefully, and have the privilege of fishing on weekdays if I wish, so I have a lot less pressure to go out in poor conditions. And I try to head in before it's absolutely mandatory, to give myself a little slack in case I get delayed getting in. 
    I suppose if you were on the open ocean where the wind could come up suddenly it would be a different story.  The swell shouldn't surprise you, with all the swell predicting websites,and if you look at a chart and FF now and then to stay away from shallow water, or move away if you see a breaking wave you didn't anticipate.
   I agree that the fewer tethers/ropes/stringers the better in case of capsize, and keep a knife on your vest that you can use with one hand in case you do get tangled

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  Anyone remember Albion a few years back,?     Windy,, nasty, about 5 people rolled  that day.    Dan ( Headwaters) was surfing in that stealth kayak, stopped to take this photo.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I need to win that yak at the Tillamook event.  It looks like there may be some Loose Screws making the trip.

Martin

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I need to win that yak at the Tillamook event.  It looks like there may be some Loose Screws making the trip.

Martin

Cool !!!    It's gonna be awesome ! 
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

'tried my motor today.  The short story is, 'dont think you should worry about a high speed slide if you worry about battery usage  :smt044   I did bring that surf leash just in case ....  :-)

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

GTboosted

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I took a few spills in a Wilderness systems Tarpon 140. Gust were 60-80 with a constant 35mph wind.

The kayak never got far from. I did ended up needing a rescue because I couldn't stay on it due to waves and wind.

Tinker

That's a guy who didn't practice self rescue.
He took WAY too long to get back on then needed help doing so.
Gather and fix your shit later. Get back on first and foremost.
If you practice regularly you will learn your tipping point too and avoid that mistake more often than not.
Pretty freaking simple~ PRACTICE!

The front of that video was trimmed-off so you wouldn't know that he knows how to do a self-rescue as well as anyone, but was using a boat loaned to him for a test ride, one he'd never been on before this was filmed.

Nonetheless, you're points are well made.  Practice, practice, practice.   

anything