Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:44:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Scratch & scuff repair - great YT vid  (Read 2295 times)

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I was just notified of this great technique for repairing those worn keel areas: 

Notice I didn't say that it would win any beauty contests.

The end of the vid is especially good as they discuss the various other things these experienced kayakers tried before landing at this method.  Sigh, to my dismay, they knock WestSystems' G3 Flex Epoxy -- yes, I just bought a pack of that this week to reinforce the bow & stern.  They discuss the use of milk jugs (non-colored plastic), and I suspect their results weren't so good because they were attempting the repair with just a thin putty knife.

I'll bet the milk jug might just work if one uses a more massive blade, like a painter's 5-in-1 tool or a taping knife or even a heavy duty flat scraper blade, that will hold the heat long enough to create a good, full weld.  Plus, with something heavier like milk jug, I would use strips that are only a 1/4" or 1/2" max. in width.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
That's interesting. Who would ever have thought of tarp?

But, as for the G-flex, i've had that on the bottom of my Adventure/Revo-16 for a few years, and it's worked great---no pealing and it takes a beating.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
But, as for the G-flex, i've had that on the bottom of my Adventure/Revo-16 for a few years, and it's worked great---no pealing and it takes a beating.

Glad you mentioned the G-Flex, because from the vid, it appears they were repairing the big flat areas of the hull, which would be more subject to big pressures and flexing, which would be harder on the repair.  That said, my newly purchased G-Flex specifically describes a host of suitable substrates, but does NOT mention any plastics.  This worries me.  I'm hoping it will hold up on my keel areas, like JB-Weld seems to do.

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for posting that. Neptune’s Rangers seem like a fun bunch.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Glad you mentioned the G-Flex, because from the vid, it appears they were repairing the big flat areas of the hull, which would be more subject to big pressures and flexing, which would be harder on the repair.  That said, my newly purchased G-Flex specifically describes a host of suitable substrates, but does NOT mention any plastics.  This worries me.  I'm hoping it will hold up on my keel areas, like JB-Weld seems to do.

This ought to give you some confidence that it'll stick to polyethylene, especially if you're willing to "flame treat":

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/gluing-plastic-with-gflex-epoxy/

"Flame" treating just requires a quick pass with a propane torch--actually the hot gas does the trick, not the flame, per se. If you experiment with some scraps of _black_ starboard plastic, you can see how that works.

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Using vinyl tarp to repair scratches on a polyethylene kayak hull is a terrible idea. You are melting different plastics together, which will not bond well. Much better to just run a heat gun over the scratches and work the softened plastic with a putty knife.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Thanks for posting that. Neptune’s Rangers seem like a fun bunch.

I've taken classes from/with some of them. They're nuts, but in a good way.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Using vinyl tarp to repair scratches on a polyethylene kayak hull is a terrible idea. You are melting different plastics together, which will not bond well. Much better to just run a heat gun over the scratches and work the softened plastic with a putty knife.

After watching the video I wondered what type of material plastic tarps are made from so I looked it up.  They are made from polyethylene laid over a nylon mesh.  I guess when it melts the poly melds with the boat and the nylon gives it extra hardness.
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I just at looked up that g flex 655 epoxy. MAN that stuff is expensive!!!! $100 for a quart of each, resin and hardener.... sheesh. But I guess it’s better than spending $1500 on a new kayak.

Where is the cheapest place to get that stuff? Most of the places I saw online are all about the same price.
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I just at looked up that g flex 655 epoxy. MAN that stuff is expensive!!!! $100 for a quart of each, resin and hardener.... sheesh. But I guess it’s better than spending $1500 on a new kayak.

Where is the cheapest place to get that stuff? Most of the places I saw online are all about the same price.

A quart of each is an enormous amount of gFlex. I got the 4oz of each kit and have glued a fin to an inflatable, done a 4 or 5 layer buildup repair on a fiberglass SIK, used a bit here and there to fix general odds 'n' ends. I likely still have about half of each left.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Tinker

+1  Polyethylene and High-density polyethylene are not the same.

I've been using a heat-resistant silicone hand roller to smooth scratches and it works great.  https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Resistant-Pressure-Roofing-Installation/dp/B07588Y24G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515062879&sr=8-3&keywords=silicone+laminate+roller 

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

A quart of each is an enormous amount of gFlex. ...

+1. This is more like the quantity you need to protect the keel on your kayak:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-system--g-flex-650-8-liquid-epoxy-resin-and-hardener--9223132
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016

A quart of each is an enormous amount of gFlex. I got the 4oz of each kit and have glued a fin to an inflatable, done a 4 or 5 layer buildup repair on a fiberglass SIK, used a bit here and there to fix general odds 'n' ends. I likely still have about half of each left.

I was just gonna cover the whole bottom of my yak.  :smt003
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com