Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: HMB Harbor Report  (Read 2480 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I met with Joel around 8 at Pillar Point Harbor. The plan was to hit few spots in the haror looking for perch.

The sea was amazing, one of the calmest days I have seen. Litte to no wind about a 2-3 foot swell with the occasional remnants of a 6-8 foot swell rolling by about every 30 minutes. Joel and I had to keep convincing each other it was not worth the ticket to go get a few rockfish  :smt012

We hit a few spots around the harbor with no luck. I saw a lot of really big sea stars and a few crabs along the old pier but no perch. We paddled over to the jetties near the harbor entrance. I landed about a 8" blue rockcod.

We decided to try the outside of the jetty closer to the breakers. Joel got into a school of 5" blues and landed about 5 of them in a row. I think he kept catching the same one. No perch though.

We hauled out and chatted with Chris @ HMB Kayak company a bit.  He was totally cool and let us use his wash off area. He mentioned that they have no problem with people fishing off their rental yaks. They have Cobra tourers and Necky's plus a few doubles and triples.

We headed over to Montara state beach. (After eating lunch at Ono Hawiaan Grill which was awesome!) We spotted another percher and headed his way. He looked like he was fishing for dinner so we didn't want to muscle in to much. We started with motor oil grubs but did not get any hits. The other guy was fishing with shrimp so I switched over to a white grub that Joel gave me and landed a fairly large walleye perch, about 7", the largest anyone had caught. I gave it to the guy that was already there and Joel and I moved downthe beach. We fished a few more rips with no luck. I called it a day around 3.

Once again I outfish Joel on his home turf! It was his grub and his hook however.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
OK Bill, you won Half Moon Bay.......again :smt013

Linda Mar is now off limits to you :smt003

It was nice day despite lack of perch :smt002

I spoke with the Harbor Patrol and he had mentioned that the BIG Perch will be in force in April (spawning by the Boat Launch) :smt023

...we should have used squid strips instead of grubs :smt011
I also forgot about fishing the rockaway area - I'll be doing a recon trip there soon!

report from fishsniffer
In addition to targeting the perch from Pacifica Pier anglers are also finding success soaking baits off Mussel Rock and at Rockaway Beach.