Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:08:34 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Just stabbing-no crabbing  (Read 4763 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Well me and bigeyedave had it all planned, but when I logged onto the buoy this morning at 0500 the ocean had gone to hell, but I needed to drive to at least Booneville to meet up with Dave and pass on the bad news.  

Dave was clearly bummed when I told hime the wind at the buoy was a steady 20 knots, and there were 10 foot swells on 8 seconds.  We hemmed and hawed and then said what the heck lets go see if we can find someplace divable.

We checked out all of the usual spots and they were all a mess except Russian Gulch.  Unfortunately RG is all rocky, so I couldnt try my cool new dungeness traps...next time.

Even inside RG there wasnt a lot of area we could work, but we anchored up in about 25 feet of water and Dave scouted around for nada.  We eventually moved into a shallow surge channel and I finally fired the speargun at an unsuspecting perch...and missed by a mile!  After struggling with my first reload I fired at a second perch, barely missed.  Finally on my 3rd try I scored and was having a blast.  Dave then shot a nice cabby and more fish came in to see what all of the ruckus was about.  I plinked another perch and as it sank with the spear a nice big ling came out to try and eat my fish!  I reeled in my perch and Dave hovered close to the ling and was wishing it was the season!!!! I wacked another perch and then Dave got a nice big perch.  

After a few hours of goofing around I started to get cold so we bailed.  Spearfishing was a blast and I am now hooked.   Can't wait to go back to a better spot when the ocean gives us more choices.  Major thanks to bigeyedave for his patience, and willingness to pursue dinks so I could get some practice.  Dave even gave me all of the fish!  

Money shot of Bigeyedave...

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'd like to get into some of that. What are we talking about investment wise? Any cool sites to learn more?

Thanks!
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Elric-you just need snorkeling gear like you would use for ab diving and a spear gun.  I was using a Daves gun yesterday but I am getting a different model by the same company for around $75.00 Dave was letting me use his Sporasub Viper, I am getting a Sporasub Aspic.  I have to say it was a blast, and is a super fun way to get fish until July.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
All the gear put together costs less than a kayak.  I'd reccomend renting an abalone setup from a dive shop ($30-$50) and either abalone diving, or borrowing someone else's gun to make sure that you're able to do it and enjoy it.  The cold murky water up here is pretty demanding of bravery, endurance, ability to equalize, ect.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Loomy

Great job Sean! :smt023   I was contemplating bailing on the sturgeon this weekend when I heard you were heading north to dive. :snorkel   The lure of a big sturgeon fight was to big though :smt003 That water looks awefully calm?  Did you guys have good vis?

About me- I was a freediver long before I was a kayak fisherman.  I only stumbled into kayakangling last year as a way to extend my time in the water.  You know a 2hr drive, hop in get your ab's, 30min later your out and wet and unless you fish from shore your done for the day.  :thumbdown  

Kayakangling has now turned into the main focus for me.  :fishing2  Awesome rockfish, hopefully some salmon this year and who knows with a little luck a sturgeon!  I've been diving for ab's from my yak and it's certainly easier to get to less impacted areas, however I'm trying to stay close to shore so as not to become bait!  :smt087

I'd love to go out with you and try some spearfishing.  I'm also hot to try spearing some Halibuts this year in Linda Mar.  I have two guns- 41/2' Riffe 3 band and a Mares "shortie" diaphram gun (24" no bands).  I've always been interested in trying to hunt fish freediving but up here in the northcoast the water temp, vis, action are all stacked against us.  However with the kayak at least now I think I can get to clearer and deeper water to go for something bigger than the 12" surf perch I normally end up with. :fish2

Ken

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I did great up north w/ tanks a couple years ago, but freediving I only really bumped into perch, greenlings and black/blue rockfish.  One cabby too I guess.  However, I found chasing the perch around washrocks and finger channels with huge surge to be incredibly fun.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Loomy- Thanks.  The water was calm in a 10x10 area...everywhere else was a total mess.  I am definitely looking forward to getting into more productive water.  I am a fisherman just getting into freediven, so I am the opposite.  Feel free to tag along.

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
We had an excellent day considering the weather.  Sean will soon be surfperch master and graduate to Sebastes Slayer in no time flat.  We had surprisingly good vis for the conditions outside, saw a nice ling, (be back in april to shank him) and a killer lunch in  Mendo.  We welcome you into the brotherhood of apnea fish accupuncture.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
fish accupuncture.

:smt043

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My gun came in today, it's a heck of alot more straightforward than ethan's teak gun was to load and secure the shooting line.  It's going to rain steel on the reefs shortly.   :smt004

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Speaking of Fish accupuncture, I spent Sunday at Wallin's Dive Center in San Carlos (Behind REI) and spoke with David Laird (long time ab and fish free diver)- I plan to take a dive class with him (2 pool dives and one Monterey Dive).

http://www.wallins.com/

David was very helpfull and took the time to answer ALL my questions. He also made a Norcal Free Dive / spear DVD - which I bought. Saw it  many times and now I'm fired-up! If any of you guys want to borrow the DVD - let me know.

My first purchase will be a mask,snorkle and flippers. The rest I will rent until I can find the rest of the gear that will fit my needs.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Joel,

Is the class a scuba certification or a free diving spearfishing class?

You probably should also buy gloves and booties, too as I'm not sure if they rent them.  At least they didn't when I got scuba certified 10yrs ago.

I looked at wet suits the other day.  I looked at the Henderson brand, but too expensive and a one pc. 7 mil suit.  Very stretchy material so it should be easy to get in and out of...

The other brand I looked at was by Deep Sea.  2pc suit 6.5 Mil.  Seems like an entry level model.  Is this too much neoprene to free dive???  Will I need a ton of weight?

What thickness suit do you guys recommend for free diving?

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Kevin - it's a freediving / spearfishing class.

I already have booties...gloves, I'll need to buy (any recomendations would be helpfull)

I also told David that I already had a 3 mil farmer john wetsuit for yaking. He advised me to get a suit (6.5 mil) - a shorty with long sleves for added warmth for at least an hour of diving. ($110.00) Basically wear the 6.5 mil shorty on top of the 3 mil farmer john.

This is all I know for now at least - give Wallin's a call and ask for David Laird - (650)591-5924 for more info. They also have specials on spear guns.

I told David about our kayak site - hope he visits.

Ben_Ca

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Were the pearch close enough for a pole spear?  :)

Sounds very interesting

Thanks for the report
Tarpon 120