Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Disappointing braid breaking strength  (Read 1875 times)

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I was tying and pulling on some of my braid line and it seemed to break too easily so I decided to test it with my scale. I tied double surgeons loops on each end put one end on a screwdriver held in my vice and the other on my scale. Then I pulled slowly looking at the weight on the scale until the line snapped. The result was surprisingly low so I bought a different brand of higher test braid from Amazon and tried that. Again, disappointing. I then tried some mono lines that were in my garage for a couple of years and it were mostly right on.

The results:
Brand and test: breaking weight lb (multiple tests)

Braid lines

KastKing Superpower 40#: 20, 24, 22

Magreel Suburb 65#: 30, 31, 33, 34

Mono lines, all Berkeley Trilene

15#: 17

20#: 25, 19

30#: 27, 30

50#: 39, 44, 40

Since knots make the weakest point, I did a few tests by just wrapping the line around rather than tying proper knots. That only increased breaking strength a small amount.

I know those are cheaper braid brands, but they both broke at only about half the rated strength. When I look at the reviews on Amazon for all braid lines I notice that there are some complaints that the lines break too easily. I wonder if this is optimistic rating that can only be demonstrated under perfect laboratory conditions or what. If you have to get braid rated twice the strength to get what you want, then you lose the advantage of having a thinner line.

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
..or go for a different brand. There are bunch of videos on youtube doing tests similar to yours, I remember seeing some focused on cheap chinese braids.

Knot strength is more complicated though, even in my limited experience I found that some knots don't work well on some lines.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'm a sufix 832 guy in ghost(white)...why, hours of research and many like that pline I've noticed... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I know those are cheaper braid brands, but they both broke at only about half the rated strength

WEll, what does THAT tell you?

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I know those are cheaper braid brands, but they both broke at only about half the rated strength

Bushy
I know! I know! :smt006
I always use my local Bait & Tackle shop to buy and spool on my braided line! They have spooling machines to layer that brade on the spool and the place I go to garentees the spooling or they will redo it for free🙂
Thanks for sharing your braid test👍
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:53:54 AM by alien »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'm a sufix 832 guy ...

Me too. The very few times that it has broken on me, there was clearly abrasion involved.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm a sufix 832 guy ...

Me too. The very few times that it has broken on me, there was clearly abrasion involved.

Thanks Eddie and NowhereMan. I may have to give that line a try. However, I notice that some reviews on Amazon complain that the line was weaker than expected for whatever that is worth.

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Bushy
I know! I know! :smt006
I always use my local Bait & Tackle shop to buy and spool on my braided line! They have spooling machines to layer that brade on the spool and the place I go to garentees the spooling or they will redo it for free🙂
Thanks for sharing your braid test👍

Bushy,
I expected (wrongly, apparently) that even a cheaper line (not the cheapest) would have somewhere near the advertised breaking strength. Maybe not the durability or other characteristics of a more expensive line, but at least the breaking strength somewhere in the right neighborhood. For comparison, the mono lines were the cheapest lines out there and they were as strong as advertised. Will be interesting to see how some more expensive line tests.

Alien,
Wish I had a local tackle shop. I'm not aware of any close to Walnut Creek.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
For the record, Cheapest price does not always mean cheapest product. Berkley is a very reputable brand with years of research into their products and can afford the equipment to produce a quality product at an affordable price. Brand X is trying to copy the success of the OG's but have to hire out or spend more $$ to produce any product which equates to a higher price tag with oftentimes a lesser product.
Anyone who ever purchased a off brand kayak can probably tell you a story or two.
Hobie Outback (dune)

MakoNick

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I wouldn't touch any of those brands IMO Line is something you don't cheap out on.  Also mono gets old after a year or so I wouldn't trust the old stuff you have in the garage either

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Have you tried izorline? I've heard good things about them.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I wouldn't touch any of those brands IMO Line is something you don't cheap out on.  Also mono gets old after a year or so I wouldn't trust the old stuff you have in the garage either
I’ll argue the old mono point, it’s UV that degrades it. Case in point my grandpa died 10 years ago, my uncle (who don’t fish) was given all his fishing shit.... 5 years ago while helping him move he gave it all to me. There’s a big spool of 8 lb mono that was purchased at bimart at least 25 years ago, just for shits and grins I did weight tests on it the less scientific way, I tied a 20 lb dumbbell to it on my trout rod and proceeded to repetitively lift it off the ground, held fine till I started swinging it around. Hit the 5th wheels rear bumper and pissed the wife off. For a better test I took it to a HOW outing and caught a nice big hatchery planted lake steelhead with it, lifted him out of the water by the line because my net wasn’t big enough.
 That mono lived in a big old fashion metal tackle box it’s entire  life, and is still just as strong today.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:11:10 AM by Mojo Jojo »

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I've got mono that's older than many of the people on this website...  For Sale, cheap...!  :smt006
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

adamhelm67

• General Manager/Instructor/Fishing Guide Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Salmon
  • View Profile Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Power Pro all the way!
Get out there and Fish!

IG:adam.helm
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKthF1LaYo43WZur6EI_6mg
Monterey Bay Kayaks
Topwater PDL 106/120
Prowler 13
Trident 13

Tinker

I'm a sufix 832 guy ...

Thanks Eddie and NowhereMan. I may have to give that line a try. However, I notice that some reviews on Amazon complain that the line was weaker than expected for whatever that is worth.

It does and that surprised me since I'm a Sufix fan.  I took it off every spool I'd put it on.

PowerPro and PowerPro Slick were failures, too.  They both tended to float in the wind (if you cast them) and neither one was very abrasion resistant.