Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rockfishing is too expensive for me  (Read 5607 times)

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I think each to our own when it comes to costs. My suggestion is a high low setup with 2 shrimp flies or bait. At the bottom use an 8lb mono line section so you can break it off.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
If there’s kelp on the surface, check which direction it’s laying. Then drift parallel in the same direction as the kelp. Instead of drifting/paddling/fishing perpendicular to the kelp direction. And of course try to keep your line straight down...the angle of your line’s scope is relative to the number of snags you’ll get, or something like that haha :-) And there is definitely a technique to working snags that you’ll develop over time. Nowadays I usually get snagged 8-10x per session but only break off once or twice. The pedal drive really helps with that.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Kayak fishing is my "therapy"  :smt002  Its cost is nothing compared to what the "shrinks" charge me  :smt003
Amen brother!!!!
Just buy buy buy lures. That's what I do.... Banging the bottom is how you get them. Loosing baits is the price we pay....
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Banging the bottom does get the jig into gaps between rocks where large fish make their abode. It is true that lings will chase a lure almost to the surface sometimes especially if it is a hooked smaller rock fish but the largest lings usually come out of snaggy holes. But...I do have my limits on jig loss and adjust place and depth accordingly.
Charles

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
So much useful information here. Most people have figured it out over the years, but if you snag don't pull on the rod. It only causes the weight or the hook to sink further into what ever it is snagged on.  Immediately let out line, and that in itself can sometimes fix the issue. If not circle around the snag and try bouncing the rod tip at different angles until it
loosens itself. I think about 80%-90% of the time this should work. Sometimes the snag is just too much and i gotta just break it off, but that is the cost of fishing. I hope this helps. Of course i said nothing new just stole other peoples material. Lol.  :smt005 :smt005
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Reel up.
Nah...bounce those babies into crevices. Gotta support the lead industry.
Charles

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I've never been rockfishing, but I have done my fair share of tree fishing in lakes  :smt003

To me it is just part of fishing, similar to how losing golf balls is part of golfing.  Both I find to be very frustrating when it's not going well, exhilarating when it is going well, and at the end of the day I am tired, relaxed and ready to go do it again.

Losing a lure when it happens is a bummer, but then it gives me a reason to go buy more :smt001
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
"No Angles = No Tangles"
Anyone who has ever been on a party boat has heard this from a deckhand or two.
Use enough weight to feel the bottom, but just enough. Too much weight will get you snagged, and not enough will make you drag back and also snag. 
Words to live by when fishing the reefs.
Hobie Outback (dune)

YoungBlood

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Keep your eyes peeled for good deals. I rarely buy tackle for retail prices. Two weeks ago I drove by an estate sale with tons of tackle. The people selling it had no clue what it was worth. I filled up two 10 gallon buckets with premium jigs, gibbs, tady, bead brand, and tons of 2-3 oz hair raisers along with 30 lbs of sinkers. I offered them $60 and ended up walking away with $1000+ in tackle. I have run into deals like this more than once and have more tackle than I will ever be able to use. PM me and I would be happy to share some with you for very cheap.   

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I don't know... I still lose stuff.
I lost bunch @ Albion too...

Now who's selling 4oz jig heads (chartreuse preferred)? :smt006

Naoaki

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I don't know... I still lose stuff.
I lost bunch @ Albion too...

Now who's selling 4oz jig heads (chartreuse preferred)? :smt006

Naoaki
Theres someone close to you Rob and Scooter lol
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

dyoung471

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I've always found going the opposite direction of the snag to get me out of the bind.

aochrine

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I usually use heavy enough weight to get to bottom fast and keep the line straight. With 60lb braid, I just tug when I'm snagged, and most of the time I can back my tackle. 

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Sincoast give the best advice on this thread.  (And, I guess, in general).  One of the things I learned from him is to use torpedo weights instead of ball-shaped.  They get hung up less often.  Using lures, it's best to go with single siwash hooks.  Casting irons for rockfish- get snagged?  Slack your line a and violently whip your rod.  This will often flip the hook off the rock. Works for swimbaits also.  Even works with trebles if you're lucky.

My general approach when snagged (and, I get snagged at least once every time I fish the bottom) is:

1.  Go to free spool and wait a little bit.  Might be a fish on your hook that swam around a rock.  Maybe he'll swim back around the other way, or , with no pressure, come out of the crevice he's in.

2. Use my GPS zoomed in max and paddle exact reverse of my former course.  That works about 1/2 the time for me.  Oh, loosen up the drag so you don't break the rod tip.(Been there, done that) Let the line play out don't go full bendo.

3. Mentioned above somewhere, paddle in a circle around the snag. Do it a few times. Weird how an angle you wouldn't think of results in things coming loose.  This works for weight snags and the worser snags like a rat trap treble on rocks. Leave the drag loose enough but give enough pressure to pull off the snag when that elusive angle is reached.  Once it pops free, "REEL UP"  Otherwise, you could free it, and then immediately get snagged again. After all, there's something down there that already got you once.

4.  When all else fails, tighten up your drag (pay attention to your rod tip dont break it) Get directly above the snag as vertical as possible.  Use a glove or your gaff handle or the gunnel of your boat to take the direct line pressure and pull that line in by hand till it breaks free or just breaks the line. Don't use your pliers to pull the line you might as well just cut it.

Never use you bare hand especially with braid.  It will slice your skin easy.  Even mono can cut you.  Just don't. When bounceballing, I tie a 50# line and a 12# line together for my weight dropper on the three-way..  If the bounce ball (Actually a torpedoe weight) gets snagged, and I get to the direct pressure situation, the 12# will snap easily. Then, I've only lost my weight  and not the whole rig. (I use 50# for that dropper because the areas I bounce ball for halibut often have little rocks and shale outcrops, The line gets abraded. so the 50# goes on the bottom connected to the weight.  12# goes on top of that dropper connected to the swivel)

And thats all I know.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

anything