Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: mm thickness for farmer john style wetsuit  (Read 329 times)

piscolabis

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I need a new wetsuit.
I fish mtn. lakes in all seasons.  Water temps down to 38F, but usu in 40's.
I have a worn out 3 mm,  but was thinking thicker.

7 mm too restrictive?
3 mm was fine for me, including surf landing practice for 3 hrs. at Half Moon Bay in spring long ago.  I might fish salt water in BC, Canada, but I'm predator-leary in N. Calif. 

I avoid getting in the water, have never dumped, but I fish very rough water at times and in rain (occ waves splash across bow - Pyramid Lk NV, Tahoe, etc.).

How thick?

Thanks for you thoughts and reasoning.
- Tom

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
7mm is too restrictive for paddling.   I used to wear 3mm before switching to drysuit and never going back.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I was looking for a thicker than 3mm neoprene farmers John myself. Couldn’t find any at the time. Decided to get a neoprene top (also from NRS) which I like very much since I can take it off if I’m too hot.
But feet were still cold. Especially when wading for too long waiting for the sets. I ended up getting dry pants to go over the wetsuit. It works very well. The only thing I haven’t tested is how much water the pants would get if I’m immersed (since the pants aren’t combined with a dry jacket). But so far this hasn’t been an issue. Plus, I usually take off the dry pants after launching.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I was looking for a thicker than 3mm neoprene farmers John myself. Couldn’t find any at the time. Decided to get a neoprene top (also from NRS) which I like very much since I can take it off if I’m too hot.
But feet were still cold. Especially when wading for too long waiting for the sets. I ended up getting dry pants to go over the wetsuit. It works very well. The only thing I haven’t tested is how much water the pants would get if I’m immersed (since the pants aren’t combined with a dry jacket). But so far this hasn’t been an issue. Plus, I usually take off the dry pants after launching.

I use neoprene socks on colder days with my neoprene boots. I prefer the shorty socks. easier to take off .
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I have a 4/3 Farmer Jon, works well for me. Can bundle with jackets/pants of chilly out, and isn't too hot until it's over about 65 put, which is about the point when I just go in shorts or synthetic material pants anyway.

For feet, I have 7mm booties for when it's cold, and 3mm neoprene socks under Crocs/sandals in medium temps, and then just bare feet above about 60 or so.
- Kevin

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
When I first started I wore 7mm farmer john which I used to wear for ab diving. It was 2 piece wet suit, farmer john and top. Even without the top it felt restrictive so I got a 3mm nrs farmer john.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
3/4 or 3/4/5 with titanium lining seems to work well. Decent flexibility and the liner retains heat. 1mm boot socks also w titanium. Use wind breaker and splash pants to beat wind chill.

I used a 7mm suit before when we dove for abs as well as fished from yak. I found it that thickness to be constricting and uncomfortable for time on the kayak. YMMV
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
7mm is too restrictive for paddling.   I used to wear 3mm before switching to drysuit and never going back.
Completely agree, angler drysuits are pricey but keep you warm and dry with the right layering.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Clb

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2023
Got dunked at doran when the nws updated the scw ( big wind once I was out) in a 3mm.
At the beach 30'out, I was 1 cold azz mfer.
Can't think of a thicker being flexible,  so warm or comfy?
I don't know...
Any day on the water  beats being in town.

piscolabis

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
My concern is getting dumped and having to spend some time in the water before getting myself back in the kayak.  I don't want to get so cold that I get physically impaired.  I used to practice dumping and re-entry, but it has been a few years.  Getting older, like over 7 decades old, I am not as nimble or strong and have some realistic caution about not responding correctly/quickly/efficiently like I did in my younger age.

I suspected that 7mm would be too restrictive for paddling, and so I guess it is time to bite the bullet and go for a dry suit. 
   Thanks for all of your suggestions, comments, and ideas.  Points are well-taken.
- Tom

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
You won't regret the decision about buying a drysuit.   It worths every pennies.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."