Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 5wt or 6wt? Is there much difference?  (Read 1424 times)

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
So I got a smoking deal at Sierra trading in Reno Saturday and picked up a redington delta 5/6. Now I need to decide what weight line and rod to pair it with. I plan on mostly trout with possibly a little bass. Is there much difference between the 5 and 6?

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
It's just weight difference the 5wt. line will give you a more delicate presentation for trout, the 6wt. will give you a little more umph for a bass shooting head. Think of it as sinker size.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Line makes a difference when casting only. I always up line, but that is just me. Cast the line on your rod first if you get a chance. A line too light will be real hard to cast, even for a seasoned caster.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Line makes a difference when casting only. I always up line, but that is just me. Cast the line on your rod first if you get a chance. A line too light will be real hard to cast, even for a seasoned caster.
Thanks Scott. So you think I should look at a 5wt rod and 6wt line? Or would a 5/6 reel be okay with a 4 wt rod and 5wt line? I'm building around the reel since it was such a great deal like 40$ new in box great deal.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
My main rod for Stillwater fishing is a 5 weight with a 6 weight line. I love 5 weights, I've got 4 or 5 of them.

If you can, cast different weight lines on the rod you get to see what casts better for you. Most fly shops have lines for casting.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I've caught just about everything (not a ling yet) on a 6wt rod; trout, bass, salmon, steelies, rockfish, bluegill, stripers.
Casting is what matters.
I'd go with a 6wt rod and line with your reel for something all around...but that's just me.
<=>

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I have a couple of 6 weights, one glass and one graphite, both are "average" rods.
They seem to handle trout and bass just fine, but I've yet to get into something really big with them.
It seems that there is such a great difference in the actions of every model of fly rod that you would have to cast a few to truly figure out what you want.
I know my newest 6wt. is nowhere near as fast or stiff as some 5wts. that I've handled in the shop.
ScottV's advice to try different shop lines and demo rods sounds good.
BTW I was just looking at the Redington reel models online - seems like they were well liked by reviewers :smt001
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
My main rod for Stillwater fishing is a 5 weight with a 6 weight line. I love 5 weights, I've got 4 or 5 of them.

If you can, cast different weight lines on the rod you get to see what casts better for you. Most fly shops have lines for casting.
         great advise. It is not uncommon for fisherman to overload rods by a weight this lets you feel the rod load and works best on faster rods. I used to fish a St.Croix 6wt with a 7wt sinking line on smaller rivers for steelhead. worked great!!!

Tinker

Simple answer: you can use your new reel on any weight rod you want to buy.

The reel may not "balance" well on very light or heavy rods.  On light rods, the rig may feel butt-heavy and on heavy rods, the rig may feel tip heavy.  Neither butt- nor tip-heavy is pleasant after making a lot of casts, but the choice you make is wide open.

Fly reels are sized by the amount of backing plus fly line they'll hold.  You don't want to fish for salmon in fast-running water with a reel with a very limited length of backing on it because it'll spool you every time and you'll be waving bye-bye to a lot of fish, and you'd want to choose a larger reel with enough capacity for a lot of backing.  For trout, you'll seldom if ever get into the backing, and you can choose a smaller lighter-weight (in ounces) reel.

For the fish you've mentioned, the reel will not play a huge role in catching.  Don't over-think it.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the tips and knowledge guys. I'm most likely over thinking it. Just found out there is a fly shop just up the road in twain Harte so I'm going to go check it out.
Anyone have any experience with the redington Classic trout or the Ross essence fc or fs? Those are the two I'm eyeing that fit in my price range.

Vermillion

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Good info everyone. I just want to reinforce that the reel is the last piece of the puzzle. Rod and line are the big ones the reel is just a place to store the line for the most part. You can land plenty of fish without "reeling" them in. There are a lot of great custom rod builders out there that use sage or Fenwick blanks. I scored a 2wt made from a sage blank for 160$ so look into that as a way to get a really good rod for way cheaper than you should.
I only fish on days that end with Y

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Best starter rod, Echo Base IMO, 90 buck
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13