Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How-to on fighting large fish  (Read 2000 times)

ConnellSF

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Anybody out there have experience fighting large fish in the bay? I'm talking anything over 30lbs. I'm down for a sleigh ride but I also dont wanna get towed 2 miles. Anybody have any tips, tricks, or advice for preventing a ridiculous sleigh ride? I was thinking, besides a drift sock/chute, an 8lb mushroom anchor...?
Plastering, kayak fishing, music and my dog(:

12' OK scrambler
16' WS Tarpon

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Anybody out there have experience fighting large fish in the bay? I'm talking anything over 30lbs. I'm down for a sleigh ride but I also dont wanna get towed 2 miles. Anybody have any tips, tricks, or advice for preventing a ridiculous sleigh ride? I was thinking, besides a drift sock/chute, an 8lb mushroom anchor...?
Is this an “issue” you’ve already faced, or just a hypothetical question?

I’d say just use properly sized gear for the species you’re targeting, set the drag properly, and enjoy. No need for any kind of anchor or drift sock during the fight. If you really need/want to slow down your sleigh ride for some reason (instead of just enjoying it) you could straddle your kayak with your legs in the water for a little extra drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I can't imagine ever getting a ride like that. You probably won't lock up your drag so that will allow the fish to expend energy that doesn't move your kayak. The drag of pulling you in a kayak will tire a fish easily, especially when added to the runs they make and fighting you reeling them in. Maybe if you hook a big sturgeon in a fast moving river and you get pulled down stream. You can see the sturgeon I caught in the bay in my profile photo. It didn't move me much at all.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
For some reason I have snagged quite a few large bat rays at Tomales Bay, and one at ARW. They are powerful and rip the line out even with the drag tightened all the way. Have reached speeds of 5-6 mph at some points. So far they have all changed direction a few times so I was never dragged very far. Just remember to keep the rod at the front of the kayak, and it will follow the fish. Several times the line has snapped at full drag and full bend in the rod. If it happened with the rod off to the side I would of been flipped off the kayak backwards.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
For some reason I have snagged quite a few large bat rays at Tomales Bay, and one at ARW. They are powerful and rip the line out even with the drag tightened all the way. Have reached speeds of 5-6 mph at some points. So far they have all changed direction a few times so I was never dragged very far. Just remember to keep the rod at the front of the kayak, and it will follow the fish. Several times the line has snapped at full drag and full bend in the rod. If it happened with the rod off to the side I would of been flipped off the kayak backwards.
Agree, when I was battling yellowtails at La Jolla, my guide kept telling me to keep the rod tip pointing to the front of the kayak.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
5 1/2 foot soupfin shark. 15 minutes of fun, caught while going for halis, did not adjust drag at all.  Like the others said keep your rodtip towards the front and just enjoy
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I've caught 3 sturgeon over 50#, all in moving water, 30# line (I never go over 30# in the yak). Drag set appropriately, which can lead to some time and distance in the fight, but never left the anchor, if I had I'd have ended up miles downstream of my launch.  My anchor did drag thru the mud a ways, but not that far. Current tends to keep them downstream and there really isn't much to foul or snag in most bay water, let'em run and reel'em back, forget the sleigh ride (if you're already on the anchor.)   

If you're drift fishing, well I guess you go where the fish/current takes you.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I've caught several fish over 30 pounds and haven't had any problems bringing them onboard.  If anything is towing you for miles, you need to cut the line and run.  I watched a guy once, hook onto a GWS, and he was towed around for miles. 
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Having a fighting belt or Rod Butt Cushion would help to battle a large fish.
My wife uses a fighting belt all the time to bring up large lingcod and halibut.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

ConnellSF

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Everybody, thank you so much for the insight. Every answer I got was excellent information.
If the sleigh ride gets hairy I'll either drop anchor or cut the line if I hook into something massive.
Keep your eye out for an orange tarpon 160 haulin ass near the marin rod and gun club :smt003  :smt003
Plastering, kayak fishing, music and my dog(:

12' OK scrambler
16' WS Tarpon

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
A reel with good drag and a nice rod helps...just don’t over tighten the drag... in case if the line snaps... it doesnt  whip u off the kayak.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Cart before horse?  :smt005
One time I was towed over a mile during a 2+ hour fight with a 12ft thresher shark that I tail-hooked with a Rapala. And I don’t wish that on anybody.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Cart before horse?  :smt005
One time I was towed over a mile during a 2+ hour fight with a 12ft thresher shark that I tail-hooked with a Rapala. And I don’t wish that on anybody.

Dude, that was closer to three hours.

I was on the water for like an hour after you hooked up, paddled back to the Islander, got boarded and situated, then I went and changed, and then we were starting to eat dinner when we heard you were climbing into the skiff.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Everybody, thank you so much for the insight. Every answer I got was excellent information.
If the sleigh ride gets hairy I'll either drop anchor or cut the line if I hook into something massive.
Keep your eye out for an orange tarpon 160 haulin ass near the marin rod and gun club :smt003  :smt003
I don't think I would try dropping an anchor while fighting a fish. Better to keep the rod in your hands. Not to mention adding the possibility of getting tangled with the anchor line.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014

Can’t imagine anything that big around the Marin club to tow you around for miles.  Maybe a large sturgeon or bat ray.  But you should still be able to get it situated within an hour if you do it correctly.