Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Why topshot?  (Read 2577 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I attach 100 ft of 30lb mono with an fg knot to my 30lb braid.  Why do I do that? To protect my guides?  For some flexibility? Why not straight braid?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:49:42 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

If you fish frequently and target different variety, a topshot will give you flexibility (i.e. replacing a 100ft is better than replacing 200 yards).  Typically a topshot is of different grade, but the same grade can be used for a purpose. 

For me, my topshot would be a fluoro with mono backing (braid as a second choice, I don't care to deal with digger).  For me, a fluoro is best for line shy fish, braid is good for smaller diameter line (less drag, deeper), and mono is good for stretch.  I have a reel that is 100% fluoro because I don't need the variety/combination and it has only one purpose for one species (guess which species).  My mooching rig has a fluoro with mono backing.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:58:19 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I use 20-30# mono topshots on my reels spooled with 65 pound braid for abrasion resistance and shock absorption.  I like using braid because I get more line on my reels and I can tie on any type of topshot depending on what species I'm targetting.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:00:16 PM by Str8FishiN »
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The braid lasts forever. Replacing a few feet or yards of topshot as needed is hella cheaper and convenient.
There are occasions when I do use straight braid or mono. I use straight braid when fishing topwater for bass. I use straight mono on my ultralight rigs.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I hear mono topshot is good for salmon, as the stretch helps to set a better hook. Some say the mono leader length is enough.  I don't know either way, but I'd like to see the responses to the post. Popcorn buttered and ready to read...
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
I hear mono topshot is good for salmon, as the stretch helps to set a better hook. Some say the mono leader length is enough.  I don't know either way, but I'd like to see the responses to the post. Popcorn buttered and ready to read...

In my humble opinion, as long as you build in shock absorbing element and keeping the line tight, that's all you need.  I personally believe you can achieve this not just through lines, but also through rod tip and keep on moving the yak. 

This change a bit if you use a downrigger, at which time I believe reeling like crazy and keep on moving until the light is tight is the way to go.  Imagine a triangle, there is a split second when the opposite and adjacent line transform into its hypotenuse form, at which time the line will slack.  Worst yet, if the fish goes up, that hypotenuse form is more of a semi circle form.   I believe this period is one of the worst period to lose a fish.

But, what do I know, I am not a fish ....

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
For me, a good fluorocarbon top shot is just a very convenient way to fish.  I use 50 pound braid and 30 pound fluorocarbon top shot for rock fishing.  When I get snagged and break off, it's almost always at the knot to the jig head and tying up a new rig is really quick and easy.  I use a double uni knot to join the two lines together and a drop of super glue for extra holding power.  The knot passes through the line guides very smoothly and I have never had a break or separation of the two lines.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I use 20-30# mono topshots on my reels spooled with 65 pound braid for abrasion resistance and shock absorption.  I like using braid because I get more line on my reels and I can tie on any type of topshot depending on what species I'm targetting.
BAM!  but i use 30lb. flouro....same efect, but more $
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
In saltwater, I use 50# braid with short leader of 30# mono. But, I mostly fish in Santa Cruz where there are no fish, so I don't know what it's like to actually catch anything on this setup...

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I need to respool my Daiwa Sealine 30SHA. I use it strictly for RF. I thought about doing this. I’m glad this topic came up.
What would you suggest for a RF set up. I was thinking 50 lb braid but unsure of what top shot line to use and how long.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
In saltwater, I use 50# braid with short leader of 30# mono. But, I mostly fish in Santa Cruz where there are no fish, so I don't know what it's like to actually catch anything on this setup...

Except that monster halibut that you caught last year .... 40+ lbs on the same setup? 
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
As others I run 40lb braid to a 25lb copolymer topshot if I get into rocks. I usually add about 30' of topshot at a time so I don't have to redo it so often. I like the size of the FG knot and it goes through the guys great, but I hate tying it.

Cheers,
Brad

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel

Except that monster halibut that you caught last year .... 40+ lbs on the same setup?

Yes, that same setup. But it is well known that that was the last fish in Santa Cruz. They are all gone now...

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
As others I run 40lb braid to a 25lb copolymer topshot if I get into rocks. I usually add about 30' of topshot at a time so I don't have to redo it so often. I like the size of the FG knot and it goes through the guys great, but I hate tying it.

Cheers,
Brad
I use this knot. Very small knot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=yRah3aNKpYw

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Yes, that same setup. But it is well known that that was the last fish in Santa Cruz. They are all gone now...

So sad, maybe Bushy will be nice to me and share me the password ....

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------