Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:50 PM]

[Today at 04:35:30 PM]

[Today at 04:34:28 PM]

[Today at 03:35:44 PM]

[Today at 02:26:27 PM]

[Today at 01:51:05 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 05:50:54 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rock Cod Flies  (Read 12845 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
After loosing most of my hand made rock cod flies at Albion I figured I would make some more and show off my work.

I have about $40 invested in fly tying tools and another $40 in materials. So far I have made over 30 flies and have enough material to make probably 100 or more.
2nd Place Albion 2011

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Nice work Ryan.  I'm sure if you wanted to you could probably sell them.

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Great job on the flies Ryan.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

• View Profile
I think I would need to get better at making them before I start a company  :smt044 So for now they are just practice, I don't think most rockfishes are that picky though, and I wanted more flare then what the ones you buy at tackle stores. Besides it is more enjoyable to catch fish from a kayak using your own power, then using your own lure. I think everyone should make their own tackle.
2nd Place Albion 2011

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I think I would need to get better at making them before I start a company  :smt044 So for now they are just practice, I don't think most rockfishes are that picky though, and I wanted more flare then what the ones you buy at tackle stores. Besides it is more enjoyable to catch fish from a kayak using your own power, then using your own lure. I think everyone should make their own tackle.

I agree!  :smt003 Maybe you could post a tutorial on how you tie your flies?
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I agree!  :smt003 Maybe you could post a tutorial on how you tie your flies?

Yes!  I would also love to see how you're doing it!

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
Well done, great flies, I tie too, mostly steelhead and trout flies. When I've tied flies for rockfish I found natural materials don't last long. I went strictly to synthetics, 140 or 210 denier thread, and lots of Zap-A-Gap for durability. Coming up with your creations is the fun part and catching on your own flies is more rewarding. You have inspired me to bust out my vise! Keep up the good work.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Beautiful work!

Well done, great flies, I tie too, mostly steelhead and trout flies. When I've tied flies for rockfish I found natural materials don't last long. I went strictly to synthetics, 140 or 210 denier thread, and lots of Zap-A-Gap for durability. Coming up with your creations is the fun part and catching on your own flies is more rewarding. You have inspired me to bust out my vise! Keep up the good work.

I'm liking the carolina rig with the fly via Golfish via bink :smt044
I tried it out yesterday & liked the way it fishes. The only flies I had were a bit on the small side so I hooked a handful of puny black RF. I need to fiddle around and tie up some on big fat hooks to keep the little guys off. Another fun project for a blown out weekend afternoon.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

• View Profile
Here is my basic layering.  Because I am not trying to imitate anything I am more or less just messing around. But I am using dyed bucktail, waxed nylon floss, feathers, flash and super glue.
2nd Place Albion 2011

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
Nice tie, like the colors, I'd swing that too some steelhead or sea run cuts. I see an old Thompson whip finisher, I hate that thing, switched to a Matarelli whip finisher so much easier for me.

Sean, you got me thinking, I think I'll  tie up some skirts on some 5/0 gamakatsu EWG hooks for jerkshad on a carolina setup.
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I keep seeing this when I glance at this post:

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Meat Hunter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Nice flies dude! My short time dressing hooks with bucktail hair gives me a sense of appreciation for your skill.
Stupid question but do you fish them with lead weights/swimbait or on a fly rod? Also what types of hooks do you use?

Tim   
327# L - 93# RF

• View Profile
Nice flies dude! My short time dressing hooks with bucktail hair gives me a sense of appreciation for your skill.
Stupid question but do you fish them with lead weights/swimbait or on a fly rod? Also what types of hooks do you use?

Tim   

I fish a swimbait or jig on the end of my main with a fly 18" up. I think some of them will work for steelhead/salmon in the American on my spey rod. They are gamakatsu fly hooks that come in a pack of 25 for $5 I think 1/0.

Thats some mighty fine work there. Do you have any rhyme or reason to the color combos chosen?

To be different. I am still learning how to tie so I want to stick with the cheaper materials (which are generally vibrant and solid colors). But I generally like light green (chartreuse) red, pink, and orange.
2nd Place Albion 2011

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile

I think some of them will work for steelhead/salmon in the American on my spey rod.

Dude, you're speaking my language, let me know when you go throw the spey rod, I put in 3 days on the AR last year for 1 steelie on a big ESL,  :smt010. I was dedicated to the swing, no nymphing at all which was probably stupid.  I need someone who knows the river better. Taking the yaks for transpo would be awesome. As much as I like fishing out on the ocean in a yak, I like throwing the spey rod for steelies better. 32" hatchery hen on the Rogue was my biggest last year but that was nymphing.
Sunrise OK Trident 13

• View Profile
Dude, you're speaking my language, let me know when you go throw the spey rod, I put in 3 days on the AR last year for 1 steelie on a big ESL,  :smt010. I was dedicated to the swing, no nymphing at all which was probably stupid.  I need someone who knows the river better. Taking the yaks for transpo would be awesome. As much as I like fishing out on the ocean in a yak, I like throwing the spey rod for steelies better. 32" hatchery hen on the Rogue was my biggest last year but that was nymphing.

I picked up spey fishing this time last year. I need to replace my line as I have a 7/8wt rod and my skagit head is too light. I have to replace everything as the Scientific Angler line I have does not have the changeable running/head/tips like the RIO lines do. So its going to cost me a few hundred bucks that I don't have. But hopefully I can get it by the time the steelies start running. Maybe you can help me on my technique and I will show you some holes.  :smt001
2nd Place Albion 2011

anything